“"A Wonderful Experience"”

Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Hagerstown, Maryland
“"A Wonderful Experience"”
Reviewed November 12, 2012

This restaurant, located in an historic residence, is serving up delicious fare at an affordable price. Coupled with an exceptional, attentive staff, and warm, cozy atmosphere, and you've got a match made in heaven. The menu provided a complementary selection of entrees to meet even the most discriminating palate. The chowder was awesome and so was the shrimp gumbo, and it was just what we needed after spending a chilly day on Grandfather Mountain. The wine list included a nice selection of reds and whites, and we found the staff very knowledgeable of them too and quite helpful in guiding our selection. While we didn't have dessert we suspect it too would have been quite enjoyable. We highly recommend "In The Garden" to anyone looking for a great meal, complimented by a friendly staff, beautiful surroundings (including outdoor dining), and great value. We look forward to our next trip to Burnsville so we can try it again for the first time!

• Visited October 2012
3 Thank KingWilliamII

Asheville, North Carolina
“Great find”
Reviewed October 13, 2012

Lovely setting and a perfect stop for lunch. The menu was so fabulous looking that we will definitely have to come back again. The food was delicious and worthy of any foodie. A great find in a little village setting. Thank you!

• Visited October 2012
3 Thank Elise B
Marietta, GA
“Hidden Jewel”
Reviewed September 17, 2012 via mobile

I was driving through Burnsville Sunday evening and I was tired & hungry. There were no open restaurants other than the ubiquitous fast food chains.

Then I saw an antebeum home with the "OPEN" sign lit. At 1st I could not determine if it was a restaurant or plant store. It was both!! And it was open.

I entered and Allen let me choose my seat. I chose a seat by the window.

What a fantastic find: the ingredients were all fresh with many of the herbs & vegetables grown right there.

Allen's guided me gently yet enthusiastically toward my selection of the 5 oz bacon wrapped filet mignon with seasoned mash potatoes, asparagus, and small spring salad with walnuts.

Their blu cheese dressing was homemade.

Every bite exploded in my mouth. I had forgotten how good - good can be. I had to restrain myself from licking my plate when finished.

Dessert-home made German Chocolate cake - from Neiman Marcus's recipie. Ahhh. I could not eat it all.

I left more satisfied than I had imagined I could be and with a lot of daisies I'd purchased & which Allen graciously put in my car.

I do not know if I shall pass that way again, but if I do I will spend time "In the Garden"

2 Thank Scaldismater
Burnsville, NC
“Great food in Burnsville”
Reviewed September 13, 2012

What a pleasant place to enjoy a leisurely lunch! Excellent pizza and homemade desserts served cheerfully.

• Visited September 2012
2 Thank Jean B
Oak Island, North Carolina
“Great treasure”
Reviewed September 5, 2012

Our innkeeper recommended this lovely restaurant in a Civil war era farmhouse. We were warmly welcomed and given menus as well as specials and recommendations by our server Allen who was enthusiastic about the food. Our salmon was perfect in every way. I have eaten it fresh out of the stream in Alaska and it was not any better than at this restaurant. Our potatoes were touched with a hint of rosemary and buttery. The asparagus was a little tough on the ends but otherwise perfect. I was surprised at the value of the menu and the level of professionalism in the preparation of the meal and the level of service. My only regret is that I was too full for dessert. We will definitely return to this treasure in the garden.

• Visited September 2012