“High on a mountain!”

Mount Mitchell State Park
Ranked #1 of 18 things to do in Burnsville
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The highest mountain in the Black Mountain Range.
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Been to Mt. Mitchell state park many times. Beautiful views, cool mountain air and great hiking trails. There are 2 picnic pavilions that are in log cabin style enclosures, they have picnic tables, bbq grill and a fire place so you can bring your own wood and have a nice crackling fire. We always bring our visitors up to Mt. Mitchell for a picnic. Fall is breathtaking!

Reviewed July 29, 2013

I love visiting Mt. Mitchell - highest point east of the Mississippi - any time of year. When it's clear, the view is practically forever, when it's misty you feel shrouded in mystery. It can be chilly anytime, so take a sweater. The small museum is really interesting, with exhibits about the local wildlife, the early residents, the race to measure the mountains, etc. My husband hikes Mt. Mitchell every year on his birthday - this year he wants to go up then down again. I spend my time more productively drinking coffee and eating pie in the restaurant, reading on the deck, then poking around and taking pictures of the native plants and wildflowers.

Reviewed July 27, 2013

The Blue Ridge Parkway between Asheville and Mt. Mitchelle was closed for repairs so we trekked around the side of the mountains about 60 miles and came down to the mountain entrance. The road up (Rt. 80) was full of hairpin curves and steep climbs, but our little sports car handled it well. You climb from about 1,300 feet to 6,500 feet during that trip with plenty of scenic overlooks on the way.

We were the 4th car in the parking lot. One friendly staff member explained that about 80% of their visitors come from Asheville and with the road out, attendance had severely suffered. Some personnel had been laid off and the remaining staff pulled some double duty while the personnel who survived on tips were suffering.

With a few medical problems hindering both my wife and myself, we sought transportation to the summit from the snack bar clerks and one of them drove us up to and down from the top in a 4 x 4. We would not have made it otherwise. Other visitors walked up and seemed not to be stressed by the climb. The summit has seating areas and a viewing ramp with an observation deck at the top. Easy to access, even for us.

While it was quite pretty to watch the clouds swoop up the mountain pass and spew over the top, they also hindered our view of the valley. Our trip was too short to offer us an alternate day to visit and I suspect the best viewing time is in the Fall when the air might be clearer and the trees in colored foliage.

We lunched at the on-site restaurant and found the tuna sandwiches to be uneatable.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

If you are a tourist in the western part of NC you should make the effort to visit this state park. It is the highest peak east of the Mississippi River and you can either drive within .2 mile of the observation deck or take a nice hike up to the summit. I have hiked various trails inside and going through the park and each one is unique and varies from easy to very strenuous. I highly suggest that you make online reservations if you plan on camping in the park. As a side note be aware that it is tent camping only and no shower facilities exist. There are bathrooms with cold water and flush toilets. Moreover, I suggest that you bring a jacket and a rain poncho/jacket because the temperature is easily 20 degrees cooler at night than it is either in Marion, Burnsville, or Asheville. For example it did rain at night and was in the low 50s in mid July when I camped there.

Reviewed July 13, 2013

Lovely hiking at the top of Mount Mitchell. Even with the drizzly weather, we had a great time. The rangers were friendly and the restaurant at the top was tasty and affordable.