“Unbelievably cold for July.”

Mount Mitchell State Park
Ranked #1 of 18 things to do in Burnsville
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The highest mountain in the Black Mountain Range.
Clover, SC
54 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“Unbelievably cold for July.”
Reviewed December 7, 2012

We enjoyed our trip in late July but I should have believed my in-laws when they mentioned how cold it would be up there. We spent a few days staying in Burnsville in a rental house on the golf course and very much enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere. One of our days we visited this park and it was so cold. I'm glad I wasn't the only one in our party who didn't think to bring a hoodie in the summer. :-) My brother and sister in law and myself had to buy matching hoodies from the gift shop. It made for a funny story. Even on a cloudy/rainy day, there were still incredible views. On a clear day, it most likely wouldn't have been as cold, but I would suggest bringing some warm clothes just in case.

Visited July 2012

Asheville, North Carolina
153 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 403 helpful votes
“Beautiful day at Mt. Mitchell -- But Parkway Closed 'til Spring”
Reviewed December 3, 2012

Over Thanksgiving we took family/friends to see the highest peak in the East. The weather was unseasonably warm at Mt. Mitchell for this time of year, clear and sunny and in the low 40s. Great views and a pleasant day to walk around and hike to the top for those who are up to it.

The snack bar and bathrooms were closed for the season.

Note, however, that the Blue Ridge Parkway was closed from near East Asheville to just south of the entrance road to Mt. Mitchell State Park. A section was closed temporarily due to ice, I believe, but part of it was closed for slide stabilization and reconstruction. This closure between Mount Mitchell State Park at NC Highway 128 (BRP Milepost 355.3) to Laurel Knob overlook (BRP Milepost 359.8) will continue until mid April 2013, according to the N.C. Division of Parks and Recreation.

So, to get from Asheville to Mt. Mitchell instead of driving the Blue Ridge Parkway and back (a trip of little over two hours roundtrip) we had to detour on I-40 across Old Fort Mountain to Marion and then up 221/226 and NC 80 to the Parkway, then driving south on the Parkway for 10 or 11 miles to the Mitchell entrance, and after visiting we returned to Asheville via Burnsville on U.S. Hwy. 19 and then on I-26, a total trip of near five hours. Nice drive, but much longer than we had anticipated. Note also that the Parkway detour was only partially marked with detour signs.

Visited November 2012
1 Thank LanSluderBelize
Matthews, NC
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Find a clear day to visit”
Reviewed December 3, 2012 via mobile

We found a clear early Autumn Saturday afternoon to drive to the summit and take the sort walk to the top. It's an easy walk to observation deck and we even saw park personnel providing golf cart lifts to some elderly tourists. We had had a great view, but I understand that many days are too cloudy to see much.

Nashville, Tennessee
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“Nice views”
Reviewed November 19, 2012

This is a nice place to visit. If you want to get to the "Top of the East" and drive most of the way. Even small children can summit. Well thought out and clean.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank LosSargentos
New Orleans
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Great views...”
Reviewed October 24, 2012

The last time I was up on Mount Mitchell was when I was a teenager one summer on a family vacation, and wanted to stop by again. This time, I went in the fall. The surrounding lowlands were lit up with color and one could see for miles from the view on top.

In any case though, regardless of the time of year, be prepared for the temperature to be about 15 - 20 degrees cooler than the surrounding lowlands then added a 20+ MPH windchill on top of that. It was probably in the 40's in October and the wind was whipping, so it felt like I was freezing. Fortunately, there's a place that sells coffee for cheap nearby, and there's a museum that offers a break from the cold if you need it!

Visited October 2012