TripAdvisor
Inbox
Search
Open today: 9:00 AM - 10:00 PM
Review Highlights
New insights in an old-growth forest.

Snakeroot Ecotours never fails to impress us. On October 27, we hiked up Hidden Creek in Yancey... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
911dbw
Asheville, North Carolina
Hidden waterfalls

We are so glad we went on the hike with Tal and Snakeroot Ecotours. We learned about the plants... read more

Reviewed July 17, 2019
sylvielavergne94
Alexandria, Louisiana

All reviews blue ghost natural world eco tour magical experience nature walk his enthusiasm pitcher plants poplar trees flora fauna plant and animal life carnivorous plants different species local plants southern appalachian who loves nature bog walk firefly tour
Selected filters
Reviewed July 24, 2018 via mobile

If you are looking to enjoy some nature knowledge,get in some good hiking,meet a really good guide that knows the natural wonders in the area and can show you waterfalls not usually seen this ecotour tour outfit is great.

Date of experience: June 2018
Tal G, Owner at Snakeroot Ecotours, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2018

Thanks! You two have such an awesome attitude and outlook towards traveling and learning. Come again!

Reviewed July 6, 2018

My wife and I with two friends from Florida engaged Tal to take us on a two hour nature walk through a section of the Celo Community forest. Although I had walked those trails many times in the past my eyes were now opened to the amazing diversity of flora in this forest. Tal explained the various microclimates present in this small section of forest and the symbiotic relationship among the ground cover, underground fungi and the larger shrubs and trees. If you have any interest at all in expanding your knowledge of nature and our environment we highly recommend this or any of his ecotours.

Date of experience: July 2018
1  Thank Stephen P

I'm really glad you came out and brought your friends! I look forward to sharing more of the magic of these forests with you.

Reviewed June 19, 2018

I happen to be a plant nerd, so I enjoyed the bog walk with Tal. I do not think this is for the average tourist, as I was knee deep in muck to get upclose photos of native orchids and carnivorous plants. I imagine this is a different tour for each group, as the seasonal shifts and timing of blooms can change week to week and month to month. There were a lot of plants that were just past prime or would really show off later in the year.

1  Thank David T

We love plant nerds! Thanks for coming.

Reviewed June 4, 2018 via mobile

What a great experience! Highly recommend it to anyone. He is so knowledgeable, passionate about the forest and the world within it. I don't want to spoil the ending, but the show at the end of the tour of the fireflies was like nothing I've ever seen. You've got to go

2  Thank hollywoodkatie

Thanks for your kind words. Those nights were some of the highlights of my year too! I was rewarded by the sincere joy that your family experienced.

Reviewed June 3, 2018

We went on another great Snakeroot tour with Tal and Micah this weekend. Two adults and 5 kids (ages 10-16).

Tal has an amazing ability to gather disparate scientific information and distill it down to a level where everyone on the group can learn and be engaged. He talked about rhodopsin and bright lights, the life cycle of forests and research being done on fireflies. Everyone walked away with both new knowledge and a new sense of wonder.

Micah, Tal's son and co-leader, is an amazing 18 yo heading to Stanford in the fall. He could have led the trip on his own, these are the woods where he grew up. The balance, interplay and sharing of ideas between Tal, Micah and the whole group really makes all of the tours spectacular.

1  Thank Rochester_Dad
Tal G, Owner at Snakeroot Ecotours, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2018

Thanks for your continued patronage! The outings with your smart, curious, and lively family have been really rewarding. I appreciate the fantastic and attentive reviews!