Open today: 9:00 AM - 10:00 PM
Review Highlights
Mushrooms in Our Midst

Our guide, Tal, led us into the woods to experience firsthand the adventure of finding and identify... read more

Reviewed August 24, 2020
charliehM2853BK
via mobile
Knowledgable

Tal was an excellent guide during our mushroom walk and his love and reverence for the land and... read more

Reviewed August 24, 2020
Lizzy220
Asheville, North Carolina

All reviews blue ghost eco tour spring weekend poplar trees plant and animal life small group southern appalachian toe river an excellent guide amazing waterfall orchid walk answering questions black mountain highly recommend this tour fungi tal fireflies
Selected filters
Reviewed July 24, 2018 via mobile

If you are looking to enjoy some nature knowledge,get in some good hiking,meet a really good guide that knows the natural wonders in the area and can show you waterfalls not usually seen this ecotour tour outfit is great.

Date of experience: June 2018
Tal G, Owner at Snakeroot Ecotours, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2018

Thanks! You two have such an awesome attitude and outlook towards traveling and learning. Come again!

Reviewed July 6, 2018

My wife and I with two friends from Florida engaged Tal to take us on a two hour nature walk through a section of the Celo Community forest. Although I had walked those trails many times in the past my eyes were now opened to the amazing diversity of flora in this forest. Tal explained the various microclimates present in this small section of forest and the symbiotic relationship among the ground cover, underground fungi and the larger shrubs and trees. If you have any interest at all in expanding your knowledge of nature and our environment we highly recommend this or any of his ecotours.

Date of experience: July 2018
1  Thank Stephen P

I'm really glad you came out and brought your friends! I look forward to sharing more of the magic of these forests with you.

Reviewed June 19, 2018

I happen to be a plant nerd, so I enjoyed the bog walk with Tal. I do not think this is for the average tourist, as I was knee deep in muck to get upclose photos of native orchids and carnivorous plants. I imagine this is a different tour for each group, as the seasonal shifts and timing of blooms can change week to week and month to month. There were a lot of plants that were just past prime or would really show off later in the year.

1  Thank David T

We love plant nerds! Thanks for coming.

Reviewed June 4, 2018 via mobile

What a great experience! Highly recommend it to anyone. He is so knowledgeable, passionate about the forest and the world within it. I don't want to spoil the ending, but the show at the end of the tour of the fireflies was like nothing I've ever seen. You've got to go

2  Thank hollywoodkatie

Thanks for your kind words. Those nights were some of the highlights of my year too! I was rewarded by the sincere joy that your family experienced.

Reviewed June 3, 2018

We went on another great Snakeroot tour with Tal and Micah this weekend. Two adults and 5 kids (ages 10-16).

Tal has an amazing ability to gather disparate scientific information and distill it down to a level where everyone on the group can learn and be engaged. He talked about rhodopsin and bright lights, the life cycle of forests and research being done on fireflies. Everyone walked away with both new knowledge and a new sense of wonder.

Micah, Tal's son and co-leader, is an amazing 18 yo heading to Stanford in the fall. He could have led the trip on his own, these are the woods where he grew up. The balance, interplay and sharing of ideas between Tal, Micah and the whole group really makes all of the tours spectacular.

1  Thank Rochester_Dad
Tal G, Owner at Snakeroot Ecotours, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2018

Thanks for your continued patronage! The outings with your smart, curious, and lively family have been really rewarding. I appreciate the fantastic and attentive reviews!