“Worst hotel experience EVER”

Econo Lodge Burlington
Ranked #14 of 15 Hotels in Burlington
Atlanta
“Worst hotel experience EVER”
Reviewed December 10, 2013

We stayed here for 1 night as a road stop on the way from GA to MD. First of all, if you want 2 beds, plan to haul everything up stairs. No elevators. I carried my stuff up the stairs and to the assigned room. When I opened the room door, the room assigned to us was either being used or had not been cleaned. The bed was unmade and TV sound loud. I called the front desk. A nice man came to the room and brought new key cards to another room. Struggling to carry my stuff, I carried it to the new room. Not great but acceptable. No more than expected. People make mistakes, right? Then went back outside to tell my husband about the change. We got more stuff to carry up the stairs, BUT now the new key card would not open the outside door! Walked to the office and the nice man fixed the cards. What a hassle. In the morning I met another guest in the parking lot that told me her tires had been slashed overnight in the hotel. Her car had been parked where security cameras could not see.

Ok. I guess I am an idiot, but I decided to give it another try for a night on the way back. The hotel is located where I need it to be and takes pets. I thought it was just one of those things and it would go better next time.

It began with a "no smoking" lobby that smelled so badly of smoke that my clothes, hair, and little dog picked it up in a matter of a few minutes. (Wish I had packed the Febreeze.) I was assigned a room and told to use door 2. Once again I am carrying a bunch of stuff and door 2 has a sign on it that reads that it is not operating! So I walk outside to another entry and go inside and walk to the front desk. Mind you that rooms are a long walk to lobby.) He said "sorry". Assigns another room so that we will not have to haul all our stuff so very far from the entry door. Meanwhile, 4 uniformed officers are standing near the lobby "investigating" a crime. I take another walk to the room, open it, and the rotten, filthy smell hits my nose. That's it! I've had it!

My final trip to the office was for a refund. We ended up driving all night arriving home about 5AM. DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT STAYING HERE. NOT EVEN IF IT IS FREE. Sleep in your car at a rest area if necessary.

Room Tip: Find another place to stay. Any place is better than this.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Pam7910
Brian D, General Manager at Econo Lodge Burlington, responded to this review, November 18, 2014
Thank you for letting us know about your experience at our property. Please accept my sincerest apologies that your experience was less than satisfactory. It is disappointing to learn that we fell short of our goals in this instance.

We are committed to guest satisfaction and we appreciate you taking the time out of your busy schedule to share your concerns. I can assure you that the problems you encountered will be corrected.

Please know that we do value you as our guest and appreciate your repeated business. Thank you for giving us the opportunity to ensure that this property is kept up to the high standards our guests have come to expect. In addition, your Choice Privileges account was credited back your points.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Denia, Spain
Reviewed October 4, 2013

Made a reservation with this hotel in January for three nights accommodation, paid for in advance, we telephoned In Advance of arrival and spoke to a member of staff to advise that due to problems we would be one date late arriving, we did not expect a refund, we accepted The loss as it was our problem.
Also the day before arrival I tried twice in the early evening to ring this hotel to confirm our arrival a day later, but there was no reply.
Upon a arrival. We were greeted with a disgruntled member of staff who advised that we were a no show and therefore had no booking, His attitude was very terse and unhelpful to say the least, in fact we looked a source of irritation.when asked if there was a room available or not ,for sometime he was unable to confirm, after some period of time we were give the keys to what was described as a room, On entering the room the smell was overwhelming, clearly the room had not been cleaned. There is a saying in life "you get what you pay for"' , there is no circumstances we would have unpacked our clothes and slept in this sub standard accommodation.
This is a personal opinion but think TWICE about wasting your money and booking this so called hotel. Never again will we use this chain.and will be taking this up with Choice Hotels through whom this was booked.

Room Tip: My tip is do not use this Hotel
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Kinston, North Carolina
Reviewed September 30, 2013

This hotel is good for the price. Room was clean. Easy check in/check out. Location is conveniently right off the highway. Although the hotel is in need of some updates, the staff makes every effort to make sure your stay is comfortable. The breakfast was good, cereal, fruit, bagels, tea, coffee, juice and homemade waffles.

Room Tip: Stayed on first floor near check-in desk. Wasn't noisy considering location of the room.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank L D
Nags Head, North Carolina
Reviewed September 29, 2013

We actually stayed on a Friday night and then again on Sunday on our way home. I don't know what desk help the others are talking about but both times we were greeted by Jason, who was cool, calm, collected and professional in the midst of people trying to get in a fully booked hotel. Was a big weekend in the area for events so all hotels were booked and we didn't want to spend $155 just to sleep. We actually booked the last available room on line and watched Jason have to turn away several people while trying to get others in front of us registered, I would give customer service from him a 5 star, sadly the hotel itself is what brings my rating down. We did not use the breakfast service so I can't comment on that but we were told 6:30 to 10:00 for breakfast and coffee all day.

Our first night stay, we got the last room. Luckily we had no children or pets as the wiring from the a/c were sticking out and wire was exposed. There was crud coming from the ice machine on the second floor along with the ice and our a/c barely blew air, not cooling at all which made for an uncomfortable nite. Since it was the last room, there was no sense asking for another.... Our room was quiet but this is an older hotel and needs updating without a doubt. The room was clean enough, the carpet was stained in areas (I think it was wax from a candle) and needs replacing. This was on the second floor, which was our Friday night visit. We slept, when we checked out and I showed the desk clerk the pics of the ice, the raw wires and informed him of the non working a/c as well as the nice quality check in the night before. He immediately printed an 'out of order' sign for the ice machine, made note of the a/c issue and then gave us a discount for the problems, which wasn't expected but certainly appreciated.

We returned on Sunday, mainly because of the way our check in host, Jason treated us when we were there on Friday, We got a first floor king room this time, he remembered us, welcomed us back with gusto, checked our room beforehand to make sure everything was running and then called after giving us time to settle, to make sure everything was ok. You can't ask for more than that! This room is again, older and in need of new everything from carpet to pillows but again - it was clean other than stained carpet. I'm laying in bed in our room as I type - no internet issues and we are quite a ways from the front desk.

For the price and a place to sleep, I don't think you'll find better in the area. Its not the Hilton, but its fine to sleep and go without Hilton prices. Plenty of places to eat from fast food to sit down dining on this exit as well as 1 up east or west. We would stay here again when coming this way but sure would love to see an update from carpet to linens.

Room Tip: If you have an issue, give the hotel a chance to fix it before blowing up. We had quiet rooms on bo...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Leicester
Reviewed August 16, 2013

We have just come back from New England. We stayed in 12 hotels and this one was by far the very worst. The room was tatty and smelly and there was no hot water at all. The desk service left much to be desired and they nearly lost our reservation. I would strongly advise people to avoid this hotel.Also over priced.
Dave Thomas - Leicester

Room Tip: Go to another hotel!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Canton, nc
Reviewed August 12, 2013

I checked in at 6.57 PM, I asked the clerk where a Best Buy was because I had forgot my phone charger at home. He pointed his finger back toward the west and said 2 or 3 exits that way. I went to Best Buy before going to the room. About 45 minutes later I got to the room. This room was dirty, the light in the bathroom would not come on, towel rack was falling off the wall, and the room just smelled bad. I didn't even put my luggage down and turned and went to the front desk and asked if I could get my money back. I explained that I had just got to the room. He said there was a 30 minute window for not wanting to stay in the hotel and it had been an hour since I checked in. I asked him to call the manager which he did but I got the same story. He said he wouldn't give my money back but I didn't have to stay if I didn't want to. Not wanting to loose my $65.84 I stayed in the room for the night.

Please if you are traveling in this area find some where else to stay. This is an old, un-kept, dirty Econo Lodge.

Room Tip: Rooms are dirty,
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank KeithB512013
Robert S, Manager at Econo Lodge Burlington, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Thank you for choosing Choice Hotels for your lodging needs and we appreciate your willingness to share your experience at our hotel. We offer free deluxe continental breakfast (w/ fruit, eggs, waffles), full cable (w/HBO and Showtime), microwave & fridge combos, high speed wireless internet, guest laundry, truck and bus parking, seasonal outdoor pool, and the best rewards program in the industry.
Please accept my apology on behalf of our hotel for not meeting your expectations during your recent visit. I inspected the room with two staff members from two separate departments and found the bathroom light working and no mal odors detected by all three of us. Then I located a maintenance work-order dated the day after your stay for towel rack repair, which was completed and the room placed back on line. The FDC who checked you in left out one crucial element of guest service regarding your request for a refund; and that is physically checking the room or offering a room switch. I did not receive a phone call from the FDC, but if so would have reinforced the requirements of checking the room for final acknowledgment or offering you a different room. We strive to give our guests WOW service and great amenities at a fair price and it is disappointing to learn we fell short of our goals in this instance.
Again thank you for sharing your experience, from which we will only improve.
Reviewed August 5, 2013 via mobile

Worked ok for a drive and goodbye motel. Breakfast included. Towels were the standard sandpaper kind. So if you are looking to save a few nickles, and not picky - this would do. Had a small dog - added on a $10 fee - which compared to some chains, was acceptable.

• Stayed July 2013