“Great BBQ, average chicken”
Review of Hursey's Bar-B-Q

Hursey's Bar-B-Q
Ranked #11 of 226 Restaurants in Burlington
Cuisines: Barbecue, Seafood
Good for: Families with children
Good for: Families with children
Reviewed May 22, 2014

Having just returned from Pittsburg, Kansas, the bar was pretty high as far as bro asked chicken goes. Hurseys fell a bit shirt there, primarily due to the average crust. Chicken was juicy and tender though. The BBQ and hush puppies, on the other hand, were fantastic. We will be back next time through town

Reviewed March 16, 2014

I took the family (plus my mother-in-law) to Hursey's BBQ for lunch --- and it was, once again, just a fantastic experience.

The restaurant has a definite "family, home-owned" feel to it - as several Hursey family members are always there working. The place was very busy, as it was prime lunch time - and yet our waitress was always checking in on us - a much appreciated effort.

In our party, we got two "broasted" chicken sandwiches, a chopped barbecue sandwich, a shrimp plate, and some onion rings, fries, and hushpuppies - and everything was fresh, hot, and delicious. Oh, and of course we got sweet teas!

Hursey's is well-known for their barbecue flavoring - as it is just the right blend of sweet and spicy. Everyone was very pleased with their order - and we will most certainly return. I highly recommend.

Reviewed March 6, 2014

The BBQ has a really good flavor to it by itself. I personally like a little vinegar based sauce on mine. The sauce they offer is a little to sweet for my taste. Now the hushpuppies are the best in town. I get a small order and eat them on the way home. Haven't tried the stew, fish or chicken.

Reviewed January 5, 2014

I love all types of barbecue beef pork chicken
Have eaten here two times prior,
First time excellent pork barbecue
Second time okay pork-barbecue
Sorry third time was the charm and it wasn't a good charm
May have been the time when I went in not sure ,,,barbecue was cold sides were cold ,consistency was not up to par of my first visit
Waitress really didn't seem concerned did not recognize her from the other two times when I was in
At this point probably will not go back if I 'm in the area again

Reviewed December 29, 2013

Since one of the more highly recommended barbecue places (in Nashville, NC) was closed for the holidays, on our way back from the Outer Banks to Asheville we stopped at Hursey's in Burlington to pick up family dinner.

We got the family pack of barbecue, Brunswick stew, cole slaw and broasted chicken, plus (at extra cost) hushpuppies.

The price is certainly reasonable, and the barbecue (more or less Eastern NC style, with pepper and light vinegar) and broasted chicken aren't bad, but it's pretty clear that the glory days of Hursey's are past. One hint is that most of the reviews posted in the restaurant are on yellowed newsprint from the 1990s.

The hushpuppies are mediocre, and the Brunswick stew is unusual, at least by the standard I'm used to in Georgia and elsewhere.

The staff is friendly, but the restaurant looks a little run down and scruffy. I appreciate the long history of the restaurant, but there are many better barbecue joints in the state.

All in all, I wouldn't go out of my way to stop here again.