“Third times the charm!”

Hursey's Bar-B-Q
Ranked #12 of 220 Restaurants in Burlington
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
High Point
“Third times the charm!”
Reviewed January 5, 2014 via mobile

I love all types of barbecue beef pork chicken
Have eaten here two times prior,
First time excellent pork barbecue
Second time okay pork-barbecue
Sorry third time was the charm and it wasn't a good charm
May have been the time when I went in not sure ,,,barbecue was cold sides were cold ,consistency was not up to par of my first visit
Waitress really didn't seem concerned did not recognize her from the other two times when I was in
At this point probably will not go back if I 'm in the area again

Visited December 2013

Asheville, North Carolina
“Perhaps its glory days are past?”
Reviewed December 29, 2013

Since one of the more highly recommended barbecue places (in Nashville, NC) was closed for the holidays, on our way back from the Outer Banks to Asheville we stopped at Hursey's in Burlington to pick up family dinner.

We got the family pack of barbecue, Brunswick stew, cole slaw and broasted chicken, plus (at extra cost) hushpuppies.

The price is certainly reasonable, and the barbecue (more or less Eastern NC style, with pepper and light vinegar) and broasted chicken aren't bad, but it's pretty clear that the glory days of Hursey's are past. One hint is that most of the reviews posted in the restaurant are on yellowed newsprint from the 1990s.

The hushpuppies are mediocre, and the Brunswick stew is unusual, at least by the standard I'm used to in Georgia and elsewhere.

The staff is friendly, but the restaurant looks a little run down and scruffy. I appreciate the long history of the restaurant, but there are many better barbecue joints in the state.

All in all, I wouldn't go out of my way to stop here again.

• Visited December 2013
Short Hills, New Jersey, USA
“Average BBQ”
Reviewed October 24, 2013

When I drove into the lot I forgot that I had visited this place a few years ago. I didn't remember what the BBQ a was like, so I went in. Not sure I would go a third time. I agree with some of the reviews that the chopped pork is bland as was the Brunswick Stew. I will say that the stew was hearty (I.e. Filled with stuff), but that is about all I can say about it. The BBQ is somewhat flavorless and the sauce they provide is sweet. More like a Chinese sauce (maybe Thai chili sauce) than BBQ sauce. It gave the meat some flavor, but the wrong flavor. Service was very fast, but I would have waited longer for better food.

• Visited October 2013
Key West, Florida
“Excellent”
Reviewed October 7, 2013

Best BBQ in North Carolina. I eat there everytime I'm in town. The staff is extremely friendly. I enjoy the graham location best.

• Visited April 2013
Greensboro, North Carolina
“BB'Q at it finest!”
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Whether I your a North Carolina eastern or western style bb'q fan this is one of the best. The sleeper here is the "boasted chicken"...juicy and tender....and just crispy enough.....and put one of these chicken breast (off the bone) with lettuce tomato and mayo and you have a killer sandwich. when you arrive at their So Church location you can smell the bb'q smokin from the parking lot. I drive from Greensboro every week just to get my "fix" on chicken or bb'q or both....mmmmmm.
Daveg