“Great concept, but tasteless food!”
Review of Hursey's Bar-B-Q

Hursey's Bar-B-Q
Ranked #12 of 220 Restaurants in Burlington
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Great concept, but tasteless food!”
Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

They seem to have a local following, but I have no idea why. The food all tasted the same. Very bland and no authentic flavor to any menu item we had that night. The Brunswick stew literally tasted like a can if soup you would get in the grocery aisle.

• Visited August 2013

Charlotte, North Carolina
“Very low quality”
Reviewed August 18, 2013

On our way to Charlotte from Raleigh, my wife and two kids decided they wanted a good, North Carolina Barbecue, and we found Hursey's Bar-B-Q in Burlington. The place really looked old and cruddy on the outside, but my 9 year old son said "dad don't judge a book by the cover". I agreed. Plus, the outside of the building had a HUGE brick fire-pit, and around the side were cut logs, so I was certain we found Carolina's best barbecue, slow cooked over hickory wood in that massive brick pit.

The first red flag that this may not be Carolina's best was when we entered and there wasn't the slightest hint of hickory, or any other hard wood scent lingering in the air. Ok, so maybe they have a state-of-the-art ventilation system and all detectable traces of that wonderful hickory wood smell is sucked through some hi-tech filtration system.

The very basic menu contained chicken, pork sandwiches, baby back ribs, and the typical sides. Also, each table had a container of their own special barbecue sauce.

The kids ordered a chopped barbecue pork sandwich each, and my wife and I decided to split a full rack of baby back ribs followed by a crisp, cold beer.

No beer. Ok, no problem. We didn't stop for beer anyway! The ribs? Nasty! I can't put it any other way. They clearly do not use the brick smoker to cook their meat, anything else for that matter, because there wasn't the slightest trace of slow cooked, over a wood fire, taste whatsoever. The barbecue sauce they drenched the ribs in was tasteless. A bottle of corn syrup with red food coloring and splash of vinegar, is about what it amounted to. But the ribs themselves were simply horrible. My guess is, they bake or boil (certainly don't barbecue) a massive amount of ribs and pork at one time on Sunday or Monday that lasts the entire week, because the ribs tasted like they had been sitting in the back of the refrigerator for a week! They did not taste freshly cooked that day or the day before. They smelled and tasted like old leftovers that were probably just short of being spoiled.

My wife and I burped that nasty pork up for the next 6 hours and we were angry with ourselves for eating it in the first place. As for the pork sandwiches my kids took one bite and that was it. My 7 year old daughter said "daddy, this tastes yucky"!

So my friends, don't be fooled by the giant, redbrick, wood burning pit hugging the outside of the building and think you're going to have a nice, slow cooked barbecue meal. Expect the opposite and expect to stop for double pack of Rolaids afterwards.

Bottom line, the only bar-b-q in their barbecue is in their red mystery sauce they apparently make themselves.

• Visited August 2013
Burlington, North Carolina
“Great food”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

The food is great and service is good. Decent priced and the whole family loves it. You can also get pig shoulders to cook.

Visited July 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
“Tender food served with lots of smile.”
Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

While the food was on the bland side; it was tender and we had excellent service. Our server had a genuine smile each time she visited our table and was so nice about everything we needed. And the food was better than fast food and for same price.

• Visited July 2013
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Expected better”
Reviewed June 6, 2013

I recently called in at lunchtime having read some good reviews on TA.
It was pretty basic,but cheap. However I regret to say the same thought also applied to the food.
The place was quiet clean and service OK (although one of the young waitresses was grumpy).

Sadly disappointing,but I guess it's just one of those things that unfortunately it did'nt live up to
expectations.