“Nice choice for Burlington”

Holiday Inn Express Burlington
Ranked #7 of 15 Hotels in Burlington
Reviewed November 24, 2013

Stayed here for a few nights in October. Nice room and bath though alittle small. beds were comfy. breakfast was also good. my only complaint was that the wireless was horrible. you would think that a hotel who has so many business people stay at it would have better wireless. probably wont be back as i now have a house in the area but a good choice for someone who is visiting the area

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed October 16, 2013 via mobile

This was a overnight stay while visiting family. The hotel was nice and ok clean but the hotel was stinky. They had air fresheners that were overpowering in the lobby that did nothing for the old smell. We booked a queen room with my priority points and the room was nice but not a lot of space. The beds are so big, which is nice, but they could take out some of the unecessary furniture for more room. Overall, it served its purpose.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Burlington, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2013

Dear Heather M,

Thank you for taking the time to communicate your concerns. We would like to express our sincere apologies for the shortcomings you experienced during your stay and for the inconvenience this has invariably caused you.

We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. We have taken note and wish to thank you for all your comments. We strive to provide the best guest experience possible, and may use some of the feedback you’ve provided to further improve our service. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Thank you again for your comments. Your business is valued and we hope your future travel plans will continue to include IHG properties.

Regards,

Brenda J.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed August 28, 2013

We routinely stay at Priorityclub sites so we have an expectation going in. This hotel was without a doubt the single nicest HIX we've ever stayed at! Checking was clean and smooth, common areas clean, and room was outstanding. Decor reminded me more of a mid-level Vegas hotel than a business traveler site. It could have been a function of being new but, regardless, it was a pleasant surprise and subsequent stay. Outstanding value!!

Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 28, 2013

We just stayed here (for the second or third time) last weekend when we moved our daughter back into Elon University. Our room was clean with a very comfortable bed - as was the case on our previous visits. The hotel is very well located and has very reasonable room rates. We highly recommend it.

We did not take advantage of the breakfast but it looked fine.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 16, 2013

We just finished a tour of colleges for my daughter who will be applying for Fall 2014 admission. We used Burlington as a location because it was centrally located around the schools we wanted to visit. It had easy access from Route 40. It was very clean and comfortable. The continental breakfast was perfect. Couldn't have asked for anything more.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 21, 2013

I stayed at this hotel in May during my daughter's graduation from Elon University. I booked this room over a year ago and was shocked at both the condition of the hotel and our room. I noted that when we checked in the common areas were not very clean at all. The walkways were unkempt and the carpets were very soiled. This was a red flag for me being that it was such a big Elon weekend, I would have thought the place would be sparkling! We checked into our room and it was dark, but at first glance looked ok. I did see hair in the bathroom that wasn't ours as we weren't there long enough for it to be! Since I didn't want to put a damper on our weekend I chose to stay quiet, that is until that evening and we went to bed. I got into the bed I was sharing with my young child (the beds are so small that it is uncomfortable for me and my 6ft tall husband to share). The duvet was very soiled with bodily fluids! I have a picture of this which we immediately showed to the front desk and emailed to Holiday Inn corporate. We were immediately moved into another room but couldn't help feeling creeped out by the disgusting incident. Whoever left the fluid could have been ill and my child was in the bed already! It made me feel that everything was dirty! We were told that someone would get in touch with us but no one ever did. We tried repeatedly over the weekend to speak with someone in management, we even tried talking to Holiday Inn corporate but were told we needed to speak with the hotel manager directly. No one ever apologized for the filth! I am shocked and saddened that I had to try to get in touch with someone to talk about this, yet got no response. At check out the front desk told me they took $100 off of the room for the night and that the manager was going to call me which he never did. When I got home I called Holiday Inn corporate again and was asked what I wanted. I told them that I wanted an apology first and foremost andI should at the very least have gotten the room for free as it was filthy. They reluctantly agreed to send a refund for the difference of that one night. I would have left the hotel, but since it was graduation weekend I could not get another room for miles. All in all, Holiday Inn could have cared less about what happened and I will not go back to this hotel and will think again about staying at Holiday Inns in general. Other chains like Hampton Inns have a 100% satisfaction guarantee and so should Holiday Inn. This one in particular doesn't deserve a top spot on Trip Advisor. By the way, I am still waiting for an apology!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank mcnjfamily5
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Burlington, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2013

Dear mcnjfamily5,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. We take all comments seriously and value the chance to make improvements where possible.

I am concerned to read that your stay with us was not what you expected. I humbly extend an apology for the dissatisfaction and inconvenience you had with our level of cleanliness. It is our fullest intention to fulfill and meet our guests' needs, as such, we are working very hard to provide you with the best service and amenities and we deeply regret that we fell short on our regular standards on this occasion.

Your experience is definitely not reflective of the high standards we usually pride ourselves with. As such, your comments will be forwarded to the ownership of the hotel to take into consideration for future improvements where possible. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Dhan M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed July 15, 2013

Just spend two weekends two weeks apart at this hotel. It's conveniently located for all of the Elon families visiting the area, as well as the very nice Tanger Outlets and all kinds of other commercial activity. The rooms were nice although the bathroom was rather small and the lighting was annoying. They have a triple mirror with lights over the outer two, so looking straight ahead is actually provides the dimmest view. Also, I stayed in a handicapped room (just because that's where they put us,) and other than a vertical bar in the shower that is still in a tub to step over and location on the first floor, I could not determine what other accommodations qualified that to be considered suitable for use by persons with mobility challenges. The climate control didn't work too well. It was so cold, we turned it off for a while. We could not manage to get either a low setting of A/C or even just the fan to circulate the air when the temperature was comfortable. I will say that the women who tended to the breakfast and one of the housekeepers were very helpful and made efforts to go above and beyond. The rest of the staff were generally pleasant. As for the breakfast, it's a nice presentation although they don't make it easy to eat healthy or vegetarian. There are hard boiled eggs, packets of oatmeal and grits and some very sugary yogurts and cereals, but the rest is mostly pancakes, breads and pastries, and hot foods that change daily with some kind of eggs, bacon, potatoes, etc. It would be nice if they had some fresh fruit other than bananas, apples and pears. All in all, it's a pretty good place.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family