“mixed bag of blessings”
Review of Fryemont Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bryson City
Fryemont Inn
Ranked #4 of 10 Bryson City B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 28, 2009

Fryemont Inn is an evocative place. Makes you remember the summer cabins and camps of your youth. If you are still the same person as you then, you will love it. If, like so many of us, you have changed, you may not love it as much. The walls are thin, so there is noise from other rooms. The floors are creaky. That said, the place does have charm. The lobby is cozy with a huge fireplace and the food in the restaurant is good to very good. The food is included in your room rate. Try it. It is not the run of the mill hotel!!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Fryemont Inn

Reviewed October 5, 2009

I requested a room the original part of the lodge perfectly happy to have no tv or ac but expecting the charm to make up for any imagined lack. I was hard pressed to find any charm. The halls were so dark that intially I couldn't find my room number. The single bathroom light I could only turn on by standing on tip toe (I'm 5'7"). On the other hand the mirror over the dresser cut me off at chin level when I was standing. The pocket windows were charming; the first time I'd come across them though I am familiar with pocket doors. I wish the one in the bathroom hadn't been stuck. There was an ink stain the the China-made bed quilt, and thick dust on the baseboards and bottom parts of the desk. The room smelled musty which was at least partly due to the rain and humidity but also smelled like a damp woodpile. The carpeted stairs from the parking area to the dining room not only creaked but felt spongy underfoot. I know that there is a newer section to the inn but I didn't see it so don't know if I would have found it more enjoyable.
The view from the porch shown in brochures doesn't exist anymore because the trees have grown. I believe that if the trees were cut down the view would be over the roof of a Burger King. On the other hand the pecan crusted trout served in the dining room was very, very good.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed October 1, 2009

I wish we had found this place when we first arrived in Bryson ! we where staying over the road in a chin hotel and they told us it was a great place for dinner and it was we came back the next morning for breakfast and checked in for our last night in the US : )
love the fact there was no TV in the room and not a level floor in the place !
it was lovely to sit on the porch in the rocking chairs with a drink after dinner and with the first coffee of the day !
the food was Brilliant !.. If we ever go to Bryson again we will be back : )
Love the Hotel cat !

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 2, 2009

We were in the area for a family reunion, went to Fryemont Inn from another hotel for breakfast, on the recommendation of a fellow traveler. After a sumptious breakfast, we discovered our car would not start. The employees and owners of the Inn were beyond helpful; took me back to the other hotel to check out and pick up my things, took me to the family reunion while the owner helped my husband get a battery for the car, then led him back to the reunion site.....all this, and we were not even guests. We will certainly BE guests next time!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 9, 2009

My family just got back from a short visit to the Fryemont on the way back home from the beach in NC. What a fun experience! The rooms/Inn are a bit rustic, but I found it charming. The room was large in size and clean and the beds were nice and comfy. My children (ages 5 and 8) loved playing games in the lobby and didn't miss not having a tv or computer at all! It was a nice break! The breakfast and dinners served in the dining area were a favorite for the whole family and the food was delicious. My husband and I enjoyed a local beer for a small fee. We'll definitely be returning!

Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank sitmarley
Reviewed July 5, 2009

We booked ther day before, our problem. We could see through the towels and had to go searching for someone to help us check in, their problem. Meals were so good, best prime rib in 5 years and we eat at lovely places. Be ready for tilted walls, halls, and hearing the neighbors. Somehow, when the 17 year olds were staying up until 2 am and playing Monopoly in the "lobby" I didn't seem to notice the dim lighting and the lack of service. If you want to drive through a land that time forgot, but was a simpler time, just do this. Oh, the bar is stocked! Who would ever think...

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
podlogic, Owner at Fryemont Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 16, 2011

Thanks for your review. You'll be happy to know that our linens have been upgraded since your visit. You're right, it's hard to find a perfectly flat floor ar a perfectly square corner anywhere in the historic lodge! It was built in 1923 and is on the National Register of Historic Places. It is truly an old fashioned place, and one that is quite unique in today's world of "cookie cutter" hotels and motels. We find that families wilth teens sometimes arrive to a "less than enthusiastic" response from the youngsters. No TV?? What will we do?? But after swimming in the pool or rafting during the day, a game of skiddles (the original, non-electric pinball) is actually fun. And then they discover that playing a board game in the lobby with Mom and Dad by the fireplace isn't half bad either. And once in a while, they actually turn off their cell phones and stop texting!

Reviewed June 15, 2009

The Fryemont Inn was a wonderful experience. This was our first stay in N. Carolina, yet we encountered other guests that had stayed there year after year. Breakfast and dinner are included in the lodging price and the food was absolutely delicious. Our room was clean and quaint. We were upgraded to another larger room, without asking. The front desk staff was very helpful in giving information about the area and even packed us a lunch for the train trip we took through the Smokey Mountains. Sitting on the large front porch after dinner in our rocking chairs was peaceful and very, very relaxing. We would definitely stay there again if we are anywhere in the area.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple