“Our Labor Day Tradition”
Review of Fryemont Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bryson City
Fryemont Inn
Ranked #3 of 10 Bryson City B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 5, 2008

Labor Day 15 years ago, our friends invited us to come to the Fryemont. They had been coming for about 8 years prior and since our kids were the same age, we went along. This place is a treasure. We love the history, the nooks and crannies, the simplicity of staying in a place where you just do what you want to do, and of course, as the kids will always remember THE FOOD! I even had to buy the Fryemont Inn cookbook, but I'll never be able to make Mushroom Business like they do. Let's just say the trout, steaks, side dishes, and the Pancakes are to die for. And hot chocolate (complete with a bit of whipped cream). I can't forget the bar either for a bit of liquid refreshment before dinner.

Over the years we've enjoyed the Fireman's Fair and competed in the annual Labor Day 5 K run (we even have the medals to prove it!), visits downtown to the shops and to see Elizabeth Ellison and her husband George. Elizabeth's watercolors decorate the inn, and one of her pieces now decorates my house.

We've stayed in the Old Inn part (open the windows and let the breezes in!) and in the cottages. Sure the cottages have all the amenities, but there is something about the upstairs corner room in the back. Small, quiet, cross breezes..... And the front porch...how many times we sat outside, reading, talking, having a glass of wine, meeting the other folks. Yes, the rooms can be noisy, but remember, it was an Inn built over 80 years ago. That's what I like and what gives me that sense of coziness and place when we visit.

If you are the hard to please type, if you equate old with "run down", if you don't like people, if sharing good food family style is not for you or if you have a desperate need to be catered to every step of the way, the Fryemont is not going to be your cup of tea.

BUT, if you are looking for a place to get away where it is quiet, where great hiking trails are close by, where you can ride the railroad, raft or kayak a little white water, bike the trails of Tsali, run the course laid out around the cemetery by the church on the hill, canoe the lake, or just sit out on that porch and rock, where you can forget having to get dressed up, check your Blackberry or put on your "game face" this is it.

It's as honest a place as you would ever find. A family affair too, and after 15 years we do feel like family. The Browns (all of them) have made this a treasure, along with everyone who works there: Carol, Amanda, Molly, Sarge and many others who we have come to know over the years.

I'm sure our kids (finishing college) will bring their kids here when they have families. It wouldn't be Labor Day without the Fryemont. I just wish Labor Day came once a month!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 5, 2008

We just happened upon the Fryemont when my wife and I were travelling through the Smoky Mountains in our sports car. We were originally only going to stay one night in Bryson City, but we wound up loving the Fryemont and Bryson City so much that we stayed 4 nights! The food was tremendous, and the Brown's with all of their staff made us feel important to them. We will be going back and telling all of our friends and family about it too.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed July 10, 2008

Great place and exceptional value for those looking to get away from it all for a couple of days. This is our second visit. Both stays were in the cottage suite that had AC, wetbar, TV, privacy deck, fireplace in bedroom and separate living room. Hotel lobby has a porch with great rocking chairs, TV and old fashion games. The food, which is included in the price of the room, was hearty and very tasty. Staff is friendly. The inn does not have a mountain view, however, it is an inn in the moutains with beautiful chestnut, oak and maple. For those with children it is a chance to enjoy the family without the distractions of the modern resort scene. A great value in a great setting! Plan to return in the fall and stay in the inn proper.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 3, 2008

First time visitor to Bryson City and the Fryemont Inn. I surprised my wife on her 50th birthday to the Inn and she loved every minute of our two night stay. The breakfast and dinner selections were excellent and the staff/customer service wasexceptional. We had dinner reservations for the Great Smokey Mountain Railroad but my wife hated to leave the peace and tranquility of the Fryemont Inn property. Amazingly, many of the guest we spoke to at the property were repeat guest and expressed their love for this rustic and historic site in Western, North Carolina.

D. McNair

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 1, 2008

This Inn is on the National Historic Registry and is a delightful return to a slower pace that many don't experience anymore. I was greeted warmly by the front desk. The food was delicious with very generous portions. I LOVED the breakfasts and the trout entrees at dinner. The wait staff was very attentive. There were many local attractions to take advantage of and we really enjoyed the Railway as well as the white water rafting. This is a beautiful part of the country. I can hardly wait to plan another trip.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MissouriYorkiemom
Reviewed October 7, 2007

The Fryemont may not be for everyone - it wasn't for us. My husband & I just returned from a two week trip through the Smokie & Blue Ridge Mountain areas and our choice of the Fryemont is the only thing we would have done differently. Read the prior reviews and take them to heart - this is a very old building that has had FEW updates through the years. It is more like an old hotel than an inn - we never heard any mention of the 'innkeepers'. Although we arrived mid-afternoon, the lobby, rooms and restaurant areas were dark and gloomy - just not what we expected. After checking into our room in the main lodge, we quickly made arrangements to move to one of the newer 'cottages'. (The front desk clerk was very helpful & kind.) Unlike the inn rooms, the cottage had a nice shower and sense of privacy. The cottage was really very nice but we were looking for more of a 'mountain-type' stay. The food was average at best and the restaurant seemed to be short-staffed. I want to add that many of the other guests seemed to be quite content with the inn and were enjoying their stay. I think the Fryemont appeals to an older crowd (we are in our 50's) that appreciates the ambiance. The other guests were very friendly and eager to visit which we enjoyed.
We chose the Fryemont because of the proximity to the Great Smoky Railroad (highly recommend). In retrospect, we would have gone with what was originally our 2nd choice - the Balsam Mountain Inn. (We stopped to have a look at it on the next leg of our trip. It was bright & cheery and would have been well worth the drive.)

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank traveltoall50states
Reviewed May 18, 2007

My husband and I recently stayed at the Fryemont Inn for the second time. Last September 2006 was our first stay and we enjoyed it so much, we returned for a quick getaway this May 2007. It's a relaxing atmosphere that we find a refreshing change. Although it may not suit everyone, it appears that all the guests are having a good visit as well.

The common areas are attractive, comfortable, and invite you to just hang out. There's board games, puzzles, lots of reading materials, a TV, and usually another guest that is more than willing to strike up a conversation if you so choose.

The dining room and bar are equally attractive and comfortable. The food is very tasty with a variety of good American cuisine. Both breakfast and dinner are included in your room rate. Dinners consist of soup, salad, entree, dessert, and drink. The breakfast menu had most anything we could want. The wait staff all seemed professional and friendly.

Even though the food is included, they do bring an itemized bill which you sign along with your room number and it is taken care of. For fun, my husband and I totalled our dinner bill with our breakfast bill and subtracted that from our room rate of $125.00 and discovered we payed right at $45.00 for our room. That's a bargain in anyone's book!

We had a quaint room with a queen sized bed that reminded us of a mountain cabin. If I had to complain, I would say that being on the first floor (of the two story structure) made it very easy to hear the footsteps above as well as creaks of the old building. We decided to laugh it off as part of the charm of an 84 year old inn.

We met a nice elderly lady on our first trip to the Fryemont who said she and her husband had been coming for years. Her remark: "It is what it is!" We agree and hope to go back again.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
Lloyds on the River Country Inn
Calhoun House Inn & Suites
Calhoun House Inn & Suites
#5 of 10 in Bryson City

Been to Fryemont Inn? Share your experiences!