“Great place needs some TLC”
Review of Fryemont Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bryson City
Fryemont Inn
Ranked #5 of 10 Bryson City B&B and Inns
Cleveland, Tennessee, United States
“Great place needs some TLC”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

This is a beautiful property. Dining room and common lobby area immaculate and very authentic to the period it represents. Food was very good and plentiful. Staff was pleasant and helpful. We stayed in the stone cottage. Suite 1 is a fabulous space, roomy, with great potential. As I pointed out to staff, however, there is good "old" and bad "old". This suite was bad old. Definitely '80s decor and very grimy and outdated. The structure is great but needs a lot of TLC. Photos are deceiving. Had we known such, we would have chosen a room in the Inn itself. At least being old there is somewhat authentic and definitely more charming for the price. All in all we enjoyed our visit.

Room Tip: Chose the lodge rooms, not the cottage suites
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Keith L

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
south carolina
Reviewed September 14, 2012

Great value and peaceful weekend. This 1923 historic Inn featured great fireplaces in the lobby and dining hall and a charming courtyard anchoring the mountainous views from the inn's porches. We are a senior couple so the stair climb entrance to the lobby was challenging, but our first floor room (eased the thought of the daily formidable stairs) was very large, clean and comfortable with two queen beds, two comfortable chairs, a bureau, desk, dressing and sink area and four very large airy windows looking out to a forested slope, . We also had a shower-tub in the bathroom.
We were there the second weekend in September, so the weather in the evening was cool and delightful, and there was no need for ac (there were no ac's in the rooms). There was, however, wifi, and our cell phones and kindle worked very well. The lobby was well appointed with comfy leather chairs,couches, a tv, and games of all types, some dating back to the days of yore which were fun to try out after dinner. Breakfast and dinner were selected from the menu and prepared to your liking. Dinner offered many selections with the best (in our opinion) being the trout (there were four different trout preparations offered). One evening I had the lamb shank and was disappointed - but - in all fairness to the chef - that was my taste and perhaps others may have found it more palatable. Veggies were plated family style and all were very good. The squash casserole was my favorite. The unusual BLT soup was quite good - rich and filling - but amazingly good. The rolls were standard. The desserts changed each evening, and we enjoyed the four we had very much.
The bar was well-stocked and Jennifer and Sarge were both top-notch bartenders! If you knew of a drink and could tell them how to make it if it were unusual, they would make it- on the spot! They were both amazing, delightful, and entertaining.
The only disappointment, though short-lived, was that there was no one to greet us upon our arrival at our check-in time. We waited about 6 or 7 minutes and then the front desk employee greeted us and things were back on track, so to speak. We had the opportunity to meet Dr. Walt Larimore who was doing a book-signing of five of his books while we were there. If you have not read any of his books, he writes about Bryson City (he was a reknown physician) and has just completed two of his latest novels - Hazel Creek and Sugar Fork. If you have some spare time, I suggest Hazel Creek as a good read - it is riviting, poignant, and will be hard to put down once you have started. We enjoyed our weekend at the Fryemount Inn and on our last day, we did meet one of the Inn keepers who was charming. Her husband was busy "cheffing" in the kitchen - hence we did not get to meet him.

Room Tip: If you can climb stairs, choose a suite.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 1, 2012

My wife and I came up here for a fun weekend away. The inn looked rustic and I felt a warm feeling when I entered the lobby. Huge fire place, leather couches and a stunning view from the open porch. The part that takes away from this first is the service. No one was as the front desk for 5 minutes then an employee leaving stopped to check us in with purse in hand. Then later we called to rechedule our dinner reservation and no one answered, we called 4 times till someone finally answered. The first impression when you walk into a hotel or inn is atmosphere and greetings much like you would expect going to someone's house. Food is key to having people stay in and spend money instead of going out. Our server stompped on a cockroach before greeting us. Next the cheese soup was broken and grainy. The salad was decent and then our entrees came out. I had prime rib which was decent and she had the "center cut sirloin" her steak was tasteless and chewy. We got vegetable sides which one was called "mushroom business" if it was a business it would have closed opening day. Please make a change to your food and service you have a great place but are lacking on 2 key elements for overall success.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank XxPelottexX
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed August 28, 2012

We've stayed here numerous times. Their food has always been a highlight of our trip, We've introduced friends to The Fryemont and everyone has been impressed with the accommodations, the food, and the value.

Room Tip: If you travel with pets, the cabin is your only option.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Missouri City, Texas
Reviewed August 26, 2012

We celebrated our parent's 50th wedding anniversary. Several families from multiple locations met at this spot. We stayed in the Cottage Suite #2

Pros:
• A/C and TV - this is not in the main lodge
• Tiny details like having wine openers, plates, glasses and wine glasses stocked in the room
• Room is upstairs and family room downstairs
• Very Quiet
• Close proximity to Main Square and Smokey Mountain Train - could walk (10min) if you are fit enough to manage the incline/decline - a little far to push a 3 and 4yr old, but they were troopers
• Breakfast and Dinner already planned for you
• Unique hotel experience - cabin-ish
• Large upstairs with king bed
• I will admit when I called before with certain questions, I was ready to write a negative review on customer service. I received little help. However, our last night the A/C went out, they had a guy come in on Sunday and fix it immediately and offered to change our room if it couldn't be fixed. Very impressed. After traveling a long way by plane and car with 2 & 4 year old. I wanted take out food for the kids without having to have them at a sit down meal. After our 7 hour commute, checking in and reserving our meal time - I asked again about my kids having meals made separately so they could eat in their room while relatives watched them - they did help us with that. However, by phone weeks before with the same concern the response was that rooms were not equipped to handle food. I was impressed upon arrival, they did help and even offered an earlier meal for the kids while we ate at a later time. Lots "above and beyond" help when you are there, little less to be desired states away via phone.
• refrigerator, sink and pantry are great for young families and sippy cups
• accommodating large group gatherings and managing all the differences seamlessly
• majority of the waitress were amazing and helpful with our kids. Some even remembered our orders over the course of the stay making us feel comfortable.

Cons: (These are not negatives against the hotel, just tid bits to know upfront so you can have fun on your trip)
• No A/C in main lodge. I live in Houston and understand heat and humidity. It was cooler in the mountains, but the humidity was still present. It rained a few times while we were there. I was glad we changed our rooms to the cottage and out of the main lodge. I couldn't imagine getting dressed for dinner and blow drying hair in an un-airconditioned room. So if AC is part of your everyday life - than you might appreciate it too. If you are live without a unit, you might not know the difference.
• You'll feel like your visiting your grandmother's house - not referring to granny, just the dust and wear that comes with lived in places. Rooms were generally clean, but felt like I was in a cabin and the feeling that comes with that.
• Pets are allowed. Found a hairball after moving a chair over to add a air mattress for my son.
• No cell service with Sprint
• Phone is in the hallway
• Sofa Bed was a twin
• King bed was not that comfortable, but certainly slept all night
• Breakfast and Dinner was starch laden - Fiber was sorely missed. Our first night vegetable/Side Dishes were mac & cheese, lima beans and baked apples (not far from pie filling). If sugar could go on the vegetables, it was added. Small side Salads did come with dinners. Ice berg lettuce, black olives and tomatoes with croutons. We've given up carbs for the most part and when supplied with biscuits, pancakes, grits, french toast, sausage and bacon for breakfast made it difficult. It is a breakfast for champions and certainly part of our lifestyle a few months ago. They do taste great and were well made. Just hoped they had healthier options just as readily available. We had to ask for fruit plates and they did not charge extra for this (if you were a hotel guest). Decaf Coffee was fantastic. By all means - nothing tasted bad, all was well made and tummy happy - longed for substantial green vegetables. They have the comfort food down pat, however, that gets old after 4 nights.
• view is a jungle, not necessarily mountains on a shared porch
• Bath downstairs/bed upstairs - think this would be great until you need to get dressed from after showering. After hauling all heavy luggage up the stairs, we had to bring them back down to the living area - still ample room to do this (which was nice) but we'd like to hide our clothes
• Bath and shampoos were in bar form - both. If you're particular about this, I'd suggest bringing your own. My hair became progressively flat over the course - I'm sure it was the water type and soap combo different than where I live at. But had wish I came with my own.
• Water was crazy hot - had difficult time finding a balance (only issues for young kids) - no tub as well, just showers - also difficult cleaning the kids.

Room Tip: Go for the cottage suites - by far the best between the 3 types of rooms. We young kids and enjoyed...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Australia
Reviewed August 19, 2012

We are experienced travellers always looking for interesting places to stay. This inn is not what you may imagine, and certainly not as described in the website. The building is listed because of its architectural interest, as an example of rustic methodology. It is, however, dark, musty, and ugly. Rough, cheap and crude building techniques do not make for comfort and amenity. There are no mountain views, only glimpses of the backyards of Bryson City. Service was perfunctory. A cursory "here, sign our form and here are your keys. We stayed in the log cabin, which is NOT a log cabin but a modular home, situated down the hill on a separate property. To get to it you leave the Inn, go down town and drive up another road. It was dark, musty and pretty crummy. No view! The food was some of the worst I have ever tasted - BLT soup! Tired brown lettuce in the ration of salad, chicken fried pork which was hard and absolutely tasteless. Breakfast was so bland and sloppy and tasteless that I went to Macdonalds for coffee and oatmeal.
I cannot believe the previous rave reviews - either these people stayed elsewhere, or have no expectations.

Room Tip: Stay anywhere else!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank john g
George B, Owner at Fryemont Inn, responded to this review, August 31, 2012
This reveiw is disturbing in many ways. After 30+ years as innkeepers, we understand that our Inn cannot be all things to all people, and that the Fryemont is a unique place that will not appeal to everyone. We welcome and appreciate constructive criticism. But to say that our Inn is "ugly"? I think Richard Sharp Smith, the famous architect who designed the Fryemont would have disagreed. The BLT soup was the "worst thing" he ever tasted? The authors of several country inn cookbooks who have asked for and published that recipe would disagree. Our log cabin is a "modular home"? Tell that to Gerald Goodman who built that log building in 1978 and chinked it himself, with the help of a local craftsman. But the most disturbing comment was the one slung at 4 generations of guests who have returned again and again to their "home away from home" in the mountains. To suggest that they are stupid and unsophisticatd is just plain insulting.
Fayetteville, North Carolina, USA
Reviewed July 27, 2012

Our family planned a trip to the mountains and my parents wanted to stay at the Fryemont Inn so we really had no choice but to stay here. We were a bit nervous about booking a room with no A/C in the middle of summer but it turned out to be just fine with the windows open and the box fan they provide. Our room was very simple with a little desk, lounging chair, and dresser to go along with the bed. My only complaint about that was that the pillows weren't very comfortable. The bathroom was clean and big enough although we had a little trouble getting a consistent temperature in the shower. It'd be really hot one second and cold the next. Those complaints are minor though because the room is what we expected: an charming historic lodge with basic amenities. The lobby area and porch was nice although we didn't spend a lot of time out there. My parents stayed in one of the newer suites in the adjoining building and I wasn't all that impressed. They have TVs and A/C over there but I don't go to the mountains to spend all my time in a hotel room. I preferred our lodge room to be honest. When we checked in, all the rooms had the doors open for rooms that people hadn't checked into yet and we noticed that the double bed rooms were extremely spacious so if that's a concern for people, you will have plenty of room in one of the bigger lodge rooms.

Breakfast and dinner at the restaurant is included (except alcohol and tip) with your room. Since we only stayed two nights, we didn't mind eating there but I think I'd be a little tired of it if you stayed any longer. The breakfast has standard options - pancakes, eggs, omelets, fresh fruit, etc. - and we were very pleased with it. The dinners weren't bad either as they have quite a few entrees to try - various fish, prime rib, steak, and lamb. The sides, which vary from night to night, are family style and the dinner comes with a soup, salad, and dessert too. We went to the bar for a drink each night before dinner and were a little annoyed to wait so long for our drinks as it wasn't all that busy in there. We also noticed there were quite a few beers on their menu that they didn't have stocked and according to the waitress/bartender, haven't been stocked for weeks.

I think this is a great place for a weekend trip but if I was staying any longer, I'd want to stay somewhere that would give me the option to try out all the different restaurants in the area. It definitely gives you a rustic, mountain experience and for somebody that doesn't frequent the mountains very often, it was enjoyable.

Room Tip: Don't worry about no air conditioning in the lodge rooms. I was very comfortable in the middle o...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family