“Relaxing and Beautiful Ride”

Great Smoky Mountains Railroad
Ranked #2 of 29 things to do in Bryson City
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: A 52-mile rail journey through valleys, inside winding tunnels and across spectacular gorges of the Great Smoky Mountains.
Salem, Virginia
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Relaxing and Beautiful Ride”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2014

My husband and I rode the train past Fontana Lake and through the Nantahala gorge. We rode in an open air over 21 car. It was a really relaxing and scenic trip. Our lunch was a pulled pork sandwich and chips. We also got free drink refills, two mugs and a fairly large tote bag. I really enjoyed watching the white water rafting and kayaking. I took plenty of gorgeous pictures. We both enjoyed it very much.

2 Thank Connie L

Illinois
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Relaxing Train Ride”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2014

The train ride was slow and relaxing, staff was friendly and very helpful. The scenery was interesting to view from the train tack perspective. We had a meal that was very good, I had more than I needed to eat. We had a moonshine ride and the samples were good to try flavors that you might not try.

1 Thank 149David
Hampstead, North Carolina
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“WOW Need a new train.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2014

I would skip the train if possible unless you want to ride. If so ask where you are sitting. I went on the train and wild water rafting and it would have been cheaper to just go rafting. I paid way to much because we sat in a open box cart, the sit was wobble and if you wanted something to eat or drink you wasted your view. I went to go get something to drink and the line was out the world long and missed a good half of the ride. Would not say ride it, skip it...................

4 Thank gingerbread1970
concord nc
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Great Ride”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2014

We loved the train ride! We enjoyed to slow pace of the train and the open air car. We did the ride to the gorge and the scenery was great. Loved seeing the change in the Nantahala River as water was released. The smoke rising above the mountains first thing in morning is always amazing. It was perfect for taking pictures. Our server, Matt, was awesome. He was very informative and took great care of everyone. It was worth every penny! Want to go back and ride the train to Dillsboro.

2 Thank 29fan
Clayton, North Carolina
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Not at all what was expected.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2014

This was a waste of time and money. I was looking forward to this attraction most of all but was extremely disappointed. I expected to see mountain views instead all we saw were creeks surrounded by trees. We purchased tickets for the lunch car but had to walk through three train cars to get our lunch bags and then walk back again with drinks in one hand and a bag in the other. The one hour layover was another complete waste of time. The train ride was so boring I struggled to stay awake. Was glad when it was over and we were back in the car driving to the hotel in which we stayed in. Save your money! There is everything to see driving in your own car!

4 Thank Randi E