“Great Experience!”

Great Smoky Mountains Railroad
Ranked #7 of 35 things to do in Bryson City
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: A 52-mile rail journey through valleys, inside winding tunnels and across spectacular gorges of the Great Smoky Mountains.
Reviewed April 28, 2014 via mobile

My wife & I sat in the "open air" car, and had amazing time with amazing views.i can't speak for the other cars, but ours was perfect. The fresh air really added to experience.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,477)
All reviews
"silver meteor"
in 30 reviews
"carolina shine"
in 38 reviews
"the nantahala outdoor center"
in 137 reviews

Reviewed April 23, 2014

Bryson is a a very nice little town tucked away in the Smokies. Of course the train is a must do when visiting. It takes you on a very scenic tour thru the mountains with a nice stop for lunch.
Recommend going in the fall to catch the colors.

2  Thank Submariner246
Reviewed April 23, 2014

My extended family and I rode in a private caboose car in early/mid Spring. After reading some of the negative reviews on here I was afraid that our fairly expensive excursion might not be worth it. We ranged in age from infant to almost 60, and all of us really enjoyed the trip. It's a unique outing for a family, although somewhat expensive for the experience. The caboose was clean enough and offered plenty of space between the cupola (seating for 4 adults or more children) and the two vestibules, plus ample indoor table seating. We spent a lot of time on the vestibules, thanks to the great weather. The scenery was prettier than I though it might be-- we were at the time of year after the holidays and before lush foliage or fall colors. The river was beautiful, the fields and woods were refreshing, and the bridge crossings were great. We did see a little squalor in places, but that's to be expected on any trip this distance. The outdoor center stop at the turnaround point was also pretty, but had just one place for quick food (and you have to like pork) and one sit-down restaurant that you'd have to get to quickly to prevent a rushed meal. Our conductor Mike was wonderful-- friendly and informative and offered to take our group photo. I do wish we had heard more history over the speakers as we rode. The only negative I would related is the price of the caboose rental. It was up there, and for that kind of money we would've been happier with more than chips and some salsa as the "refreshment". There were sodas and water too, which was fine. All in all I'd say it was a worthwhile splurge and something I hope none of us ever forgets.

4  Thank V F
Reviewed April 15, 2014

My husband and I had a great time on the train, enjoyed the views in the fall and the history of the area. We had lunch at Nantahala outdoor center which we enjoyed on the layover. The only down side was very rude kids running and screaming. We left our seats and went to the outdoor cars to get away. I have five children of my own so I can stand normal activity but the parents had no control. This, however, was not the railroads fault. We will return and give it another try,

3  Thank larkspurgirl64