“An Enjoyable Touch with Yesteryear”

Great Smoky Mountains Railroad
Ranked #2 of 35 things to do in Bryson City
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: A 52-mile rail journey through valleys, inside winding tunnels and across spectacular gorges of the Great Smoky Mountains.
Reviewed December 23, 2013

If you are going to be in the Asheville, NC area, consider an hour's drive west to Bryson City where the Great Smoky Mountain Railroad starts. My husband and I stayed in Bryson City for 3 nights (Fryemont Inn) so we could spend the middle day riding the train. We made reservations ahead of time and decided to pop for first class to get a nice lunch served to us as it might have been in yesteryear.

It's a "touristy" thing, but lots of fun. I have heard others say they prefer the open cars, which cost less, but I'd say that depends on the weather. I don't think it would be as much fun to hang out the windows in bad weather. We went in October and it was clear but cool. We had a great time and would recommend it to individuals, couples, and families with children. The kids will also love the train museum with lots of model trains going this way and that upon exiting the train at the end of the round trip. I even got some good photos through the window while passing by beautiful fall foliage.

3  Thank prsmith8
Write a ReviewReviews (2,436)

Reviewed December 22, 2013

This was a fun thing to do with our grandchildren- some prep work involved if you want the most fun- watch The Polar Express movie before going and dress everyone in Christmas pajamas! Everyone 6 months to 62 years had a great time. A little pricey but they are striving to keep part of our history alive.

2  Thank theraglady
Reviewed December 19, 2013

We had a wonderful experience on the polar express! Our "chiefs" were a riot! I am not sure if they were all out of school for winter break or not but they were fun. They almost threw the cookies at us ( like in the movie). The widows were frosted the lights at the North Pole were fantastic! Santa was wonderful and certainly looked the part!

Reviewed December 14, 2013

The parking lot was muddy, the seats were cramped(we bought the middle price), the scenery was terrible, very little decorations. To top it off, the staff were rude and hateful. I would not recommend spending the money.

5  Thank momb8793
Reviewed December 10, 2013

Great little trip. Beautiful Views and had a great time in Dillsboro NC. Nothing but a good time. Highly recommended.