“Great Historical Train Ride”

Great Smoky Mountains Railroad
Ranked #5 of 26 things to do in Bryson City
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: A 52-mile rail journey through valleys, inside winding tunnels and across spectacular gorges of the Great Smoky Mountains.
Reviewed September 2, 2013

My wife and I enjoyed the ride. The scenery and views were spectacular. The history of the train and the building of Fontana Lake was very interesting. The food was great. The Ki lime was wonderful. The crew and servers were great.

1  Thank Leon R
Write a ReviewReviews (2,774)
All reviews
"coach class"
in 28 reviews
"carolina shine"
in 41 reviews
"the nantahala outdoor center"
in 149 reviews

Reviewed September 1, 2013

This was our first time on the Train Ride..1st class was about $94 adult only..railroad car, which was nice. Great trip for adults get away for 4 hrs. Unlimited soft drinks with the take away cup they give you at the ticket counter with the 1st class ticket. Liquor was tooo expensive..but you got a plastic cup even thought the description says glass. Food was pretty good..Very relaxing train ride.We has 1st class because I booked in advance I chose table of 4 there was only 2 of us, when we got on the train we had all 4 seats to ourselves, so going we sat going forward saw everything out the left side of the train,coming back we changed seats seeing everything out the right side, The train did not turn around.You have a layover in the outdoor excursion area, very crowded do to the world cup kyak practice..Pretty fun to watch for a few minutes..Overall ..WE will do it again when we come back to NC

1  Thank Lynnhabby
Reviewed August 31, 2013

We purchased tickets in the adult only car and had a great time. The scenery was beautiful and the host was great. The only suggestion I have is that the barbecue lunch would be better if they included barbecue sauce. Other than that lunch was great! they even included some surprises that they didn't tell us about! I had a great time I m looking forward to riding the train again.

Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

We did this as a family of four. I had to pay for a seat for my one year old which was seat 11, ours were 44 and 45 and our daughter was in front of us with another family. So I paid $176 for a ride not with my family. We should have paid for the open air car it was much nicer than our car and we would have been together. They gave us a tumbler to refill drinks but there was no decaf or water. I don't drink caffeine or soda. So it was a waste. My one year old ended up sleeping through three hours of the ride so I had to sit in the seat number 11 at the front of the car while my husband was in back. I was yelled out by the older couple who were in that section wanting to see my ticket because it wasn't my seat! It was my seat I purchased for my one year old! They were so rude and I had to sit with them for three hours! I don't like the assigned the seats and the scenery was ok. I thought we would be going through the Mountains. The employees were super friendly and knowledgeable just the other travelers were bad!

See more reviews
Reviewed August 28, 2013

44 mile trip was the longest I have ever taken on a tourist railroad. The view is best from the Boarding side. That being said, the Train Staff has everyone switch sides coming back. so you all see the same amount of scenery. Might be somewhat of a long ride for very young children. Would be marvelous in the Fall when the leaves turn. I would recommend eating at the scenic rest stop by the River (Natahala Gorge). We ate the boxed lunches on the Train which were nothing great (hot dog and pulled pork sandwich). When I had to change the date of our visit, the Staff was very accomodating. . Differing costs depending on where you sit. We sat in the enclosed coach with young families and everything was fine. Bryson City is a charming small town, save some time for poking around the shops before you leave.

1  Thank Libtravlr09