“Great Fun for Multiple Family Group”

Rolling Thunder River Company
Ranked #3 of 15 Tours in Bryson City
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Owner description: Rolling Thunder River Company has provided exceptional river trips for almost 40 years. The family-friendly Nantahala River in western North Carolina has become a favorite river for hundreds of thousands of rafters each season. We offer Guided/Follow-A-Guide/Non-Guided options. Family-owned and operated.
Reviewed July 4, 2013

Our group of 10 consisting of 3 different families including the youngest, 7 years old, had an awesome time. We choose to do the "guide assisted" tour and broke up our group into 2 tubes while following our guide who was in a boat with another family (not our family) as Kym, our "adopted guide" lead us safely thru the Nantahala River. The "senior citizen" of the group (40 years old) fell out of the raft twice and was still able to recover quickly and get back on the boat safely, the worse thing that occurred was a lost shoe. I would recommend this rafting company to other families, especially for first timers as I was.

Reviewed July 3, 2013

Absolutely loved this place. The tour guides made the trip; they were all entertaining and knowledgeable. We had a group of 12 guided by the witty Boomer and Fancy, and they were both hilarious. They made it a point to soak us and entertain the entire family. The whole family-like group prepared us for the time of our lives by providing everything from life jackets to free granola bars. We noticed that other floating companies packed as many people as possible onto a float, so we truly appreciated the personalized experience we had on the river.

Reviewed July 1, 2013

Well.....I was so apprehensive about doing white water rafting. My husband likes adventure and wanted to try this. I was on my 5th year as a breast cancer survivor and thought....if I can tackle that, I can surely tackle the rapids. Needless to say, we did the Nantahala River that has Class II and one Class III rapid. IT WAS WONDERFUL! ! Our guide was "Sparrow". He made the entire trip down the river so fun and made us all feel very safe. The guides that welcome you, give you a great motivational speech, instruction, and protection. Their prices are very reasonable. I would encourage any newcomer to rafting to go with this company. Even the bus ride to and from was filled with humor and fun. The only thing I would suggest is that they put your pictures on the web so you can order them later on.....otherwise, I wouldn't change a thing!

Reviewed June 30, 2013

First time trip down the Nantahala river with our two young girls. We had agreat time and the girls thought it was an amazing experience and want to do it again. Our guide made us feel safe while feel out the girls comfort with tree spins, rock spins etc.....

Reviewed June 28, 2013

I have rafted the Nantahala River twice in a raft with my husband guiding as a guide assisted trip (a guide in a raft will keep an eye out for you, if needed)from Carolina Outfitters. We have also rafted with guides in our raft in WV, and KY. I chose Rolling Thunder because of Tripadvisor"s recommendation and thought there wouldn't be much difference in companies. However, after taking a guide assisted trip with single funyaks, I very carefully read each review. I believe everyone who wrote reviews actually had guides in a raft with them. The Nantahala is a friendly river and with a guide in the raft- should be safe and fun. Fancy is a fabulous guide and gave us helpful information. She pulled us aside before "bump" and the Nantahala Falls to give us pointers on taking the rapids and to make sure a guide was watching out for us. I'd give Fancy a 5 Star rating. The company overall, I believe, needs to have a better preview/map for guide assist trips. I would trust Fancy to get me out of trouble if I needed it. I didn't feel the other guides were looking out for us when we were near them. All rafters need to know to catch the rope and not the bag before the last 2 rapids on the trip. Everyone had a great fun day, and no one did anything unsafe, but had someone needed help...I'm not sure how this group with do. Fancy would give it her all! Booking and pic people all very nice. I actually ended up having a great time, but felt I could have used more guidance on the first few rapids...or at least a word of encouragement from the other guides.

2  Thank MissionMom