“Whitewater Kayaking Lessons”

Endless River Private Adventures
Ranked #3 of 15 Tours in Bryson City
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Western North Carolina is a dream vacation destination and we take advantage of everything WNC has to offer: whitewater rafting on three great rivers, white water kayak instruction, fly fishing, scenic lake tours and a store overlooking the Nantahala River. And when winter arrives, we take our expertise to Costa Rica and Ecuador for more great outdoor adventures.
Reviewed July 2, 2013

I'm a 43 yr old highly experienced canoe and sea kayak paddler from Atlanta. I've always wanted to do some ww kayaking. After shopping around I picked ERA for my first 2 day clinic on June 17th. I went alone for a 1 on 1 instructional with high expectations for personal goals. Pelle was my instructor throughout and I liked him quite a bit. He was extremely thorough in teaching me the technical aspects of various paddle techniques and with his help, I exceeded my expectations and was able to complete unassisted Eskimo rolls on the first morning. We spent the morning in a nearby lake and moved on to the Tuckaseegee River in the afternoon to apply my new knowledge. It was an excellent first day with good gauging by Pelle of what was prudent for my skill level. The next day we worked on technique again in the lake and hit the Nantahala. This was my goal run and I knew the falls were at the end. We practiced techniques all the way down and hit some great spots. He introduced me to wave surfing in a very low commitment spot that allowed me to get the feel of it quickly without being freaked out. At the end of the day we got out and observed the falls so that I could decide whether or not to attempt it. Pelle was professional in suggesting that perhaps I should put in more time before attempting it, but I was determined to do it. His explanation of the line we would take and the techniques I needed to use (and perhaps some beginners luck) allowed me to blast out of the bottom hole in sheer disbelief of having made it. It was the perfect ending of two high quality days. I got back to Atlanta and told a couple of buddies. Within hours they agreed to go back with me and do two days in which the three of us would repeat the process. This time we got Adam and he was also great. He took my friends through the steps I had learned while challenging me to improve my rolls and assist in teaching my friends. His style was different than Pelle's in teaching roll technique and it was also effective. I benefited from the contrast of instructional styles. While on the river, Adam took proper care of my less experienced friends while challenging me to try chutes, surf larger waves and "run safety" in assisting on spills etc. I took a more challenging line through the falls this time (by my own choice) and I made it - barely! After 4 days in two different trips I feel like I have a solid understanding of ww kayaking and have acquired considerable skills and confidence to take it further while improving technique. I'm shopping creek boats and thinking about my next trip. Endless River Adventures is at the top of their game in my opinion. They are not so big that they have quality control issues and it seems like a company much like my own in which quality always takes precedence over quantity. That's a hard choice to make as a business owner because we'd all like to increase revenues - but we also want to maintain integrity and pride in our operations by being the best. I got that vibe from ERA and I highly recommend them. I'm also considering some fly fishing as I understand the owner does quite a bit of that as well. Book your trip. GO FOR IT!

All reviews
in 6 reviews
"wet suits"
"super fun"

Reviewed June 30, 2013

Our family and friends had a wonderful time, and I would highly recommend using Endless River Adventures. Our guides were absolutely spectacular, and we were in great hands all the time. My families guide was Pelle, and he was amazing, he made the trip just wonderful. Pelle's experience and guidance made everyone calm, and have a fun time. My 12 year old daughter wasn't scared at all with his confidence in instructing our raft trip. My friends had Red as a guide and they loved him too. They were both wonderful people to spend the day with. Endless River Adventures gave us special care and instruction that made the trip just that much better, unlike some of the other larger groups on the river we saw that just seemed like sheep getting herded down the river.

Thank you very much Endless River Adventures, Pelle, and Red for making our vacation a wonderful time!!!

Reviewed June 30, 2013

We enjoy the Nantahala river each summer numerous times for kayaking, rafting, or ducky. We have always gone thru NOC but due to lots of staff, etc. changes there, we opted to rent two double duckies at ERA. Friendly check-in and all staff super helpful plus nice, new gear and boats. Their store and site are top notch. Lots of guests there but we felt like we were the only guests they had. Alex helped us with everything and helped put our non river 30 yo son at ease. He and his wife made it down the river loving every minute of it. We're heading back in 2 weeks and will only do the river with ERA from now on. They know how to do customer service and the Nantahala right.

Reviewed June 25, 2013

We used Endless for our raft trip for 12 young women on their summer "High Adventure" activity. We rafted the Ocoee and ducky'd down the Nantahala.

As usuall, ERA provided top notch service, the best guides on the river, and a fantastic experience.

Would highly recommend Endless Rivers!

See more reviews
Reviewed June 23, 2013

I've been whitewater rafting on the Nantahala several times before but never with ERA until this past week. It was by far the best trip my family ever made - ERA just knows how to put fun and adventure into every moment. They have earned our business for future whitewater trips.
And, if you like fly fishing or would like to learn, Ken (the owner) can take care of you. Although I fly fish in salt water regularly, I'd never tried fishing for trout. Ken showed me how it's done and I landed around 11 rainbows and 1 nice brown during an all day float trip on the lower Nantahala (not being used to the bite of a trout, I probably missed 3 times that number). It was a fantastic trip and I'm already planning my next one. A couple of days before that, he gave my 8 year old instructions on fly fishing during a 1/2 day wade trip. My son had a GREAT time and caught several nice fish.
Can't say enough about the great people at ERA!