“Perfect and unique.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bryson City
West Oak Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #9 of 10 Bryson City B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 27, 2011

Mercedith Bacon was the utmost hostess and toured us through a variety of rooms and cabin options. You can just feel and see the love she has put into her work of over 30 years. On a whitewater rafting trip, the cabin, complete to the last detail was a great place to relax and enjoy the setting she has created. Great location and will return as well as refer my clients to her wonderful hospitality and the comforts she makes available. BONITA TRAVELS, LLC, Harrisburg, NC 28075 704-455-7400
www.bonitatravels.com

Room Tip: The Website is a great tool to chose the best.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank TRAVELAGENT2004

Reviewed July 24, 2010

First, let me talk about Bryson City. It is a small town and I believe that the main reason for staying in Bryson City would be to be close to one the entrances to the National Park (it is near the Oconalufee Visitor Center entrance). The town is very quiet and aside from a few shops and restaurants, there isn't much to do. However, if you will be spending most of your time exploring the Park, it is reasonable to stay in Bryson City. If you're looking for a more active scene with a wider choice of places to stay and things to do, you may be better off staying in Asheville and driving to the National Park (Asheville is about an hour away).

The West Oak has a Bed and Breakfast as well as individual cabins for rent. My partner and I only stayed in the Bed and Breakfast portion of the property, so I can't comment on the cabins. The B&B is a two level home and the inn keeper, Ms. Bacon lives on the second floor. We had room #2 which is on the second floor. Rooms #2 and #3 are usually rented together because there is a common living room area, which creates a suite. No one rented Room #3, so we had the suite to ourselves. If there are 3-4 people in your party, I'd recommend renting the Room 2/3 Suite.

Room #2 has a king size bed and an attached bathroom (Room 3 has no bathroom, but guests in this room use the bathroom that is just outside Room 2). Our room was quite small, but the bed was comfortable and the bathroom was clean. Throughout the suite, Ms. Bacon has collections of antiques and books. I felt that it might have verged on being cluttered, but the room was clean. There was a microwave and small refrigerator in the suite.

There is a deck just outside the room. There isn't a picture postcard view of the mountains, but there is good view of the gas station down the hill (however, if you wanted to see mountains, your best view is in the Park, not in a B&B!).

Breakfast is not sereved on the property. Instead, guests are sent to Everett Street Diner on Mondays through Saturdays and to the Fryemont Inn on Sundays.Breakfast was included in our room rate. Both places are very close to West Oak. Both places serve diner-style breakfasts. The menus aren't large, but we were satisfied. (Of the two places, we prefered the Everett Street Diner)

Ms. Bacon kept a low profile during the stay. We appreciated this; however, she was very attentive and pleasant about the phone calls we made to her.

One downside to this property is that parking was limited The B&B has only one car port attached the the building. When this space was occupied, we had to park uphill near the cabins. This was not very convenient, and I'm not sure what what would have happened if all the rooms and cabins were occupied.

Overall, I would say we had a satisfactory experience at the West Oak. I don't think that there are a lot of places to stay in Bryson City, so if the focus of your trip is the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, then I believe that the West Oak will suit your needs.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple