“Great fun for a reasonable price for the whole family.”

Nantahala Rafting with Adventurous Fast Rivers
Ranked #1 of 15 Tours in Bryson City
More attraction details
Owner description: Our goal is to exceed your expectations in all facets of your rafting adventure. Our friendly, skilled, and sincere service is second to none and we welcome the opportunity to have you experience the beauty and excitement of whitewater on the Nantahala River with us. We have been family owned & operated for over 38 years! Our specialty is giving economical prices with the very best in personal service, equipment, facilities, and staff. No experience necessary. Guided & unguided trips available mid-March through early October. Walk-ins are welcome ~ reservations recommended, call us, or book online to reserve your adventure. We look forward to seeing you on the river with us. The most important trip down the river is yours! Come & Enjoy the Fun...
Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

We where 8 people who all had a great time at the Nantahala river. We where between 10 and 69 years old and this river is not too rough, but still provides excitement. It is a stunningly beautiful area. We all rented wetsuits as this river has a max temperature of 50 degrees. You will get wet, but on a hot day you probably are ok with just normal clothes and sandals. Our guide was very nice to us and explained a lot during the trip. 2 and a half hour was just about the perfect length for our group. The Nantahala Falls was supposed to be a 3+ and our guide prepared us for it very carefully. It was a very short though. Slightly disappointing.
We had a fantastic time though!

Reviewed June 28, 2013

My Mon and I recently visited North Carolina. I love white water rafting and my mom had never been. She's in her 70s and doesn't know how to swim. I told her she would have fun and she most certainly did! Our guide Ben was wonderful and put her at ease and gave us a trip to remember!

Reviewed June 25, 2013

Unfortunately, it was a rainy cloudy day when we were scheduled to go rafting so I was not looking forward to the day. AFRR has dry jackets, booties and wet suits you can rent which was extremely helpful for the conditions on the day we went (even though we only opted for the dry jacket). I was planning on a two hour workout but the trip is mostly relaxing with a few paddles (only 3 at a time) so is very suitable for ANY age. My children are 7 and 11 and it was a perfect 1st whitewater rafting experience, with spinning and going backwards for a little thrill. Thanks for a memorable experience.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

This trip was my 3rd adventure with Adventurous Fast Rivers Rafting going down the Nantahala River. The first was a group kayaking trip, all boats from AFRR; then I went solo with a knowledgeable AFRR Guide; and this year I took my teenage, age 13 & 16, nephews!

My nephews had previous experience kayaking Dan River outside of Winston-Salem and the Tuckaseegee near Dillsboro. They were ready for the Nantahala! I got us all the combo package of wetsuit, river booties (which I wore & they didn't - they had river shoes), splash jacket, PFD, paddle, funyak (inflatable kayak). I also hired a guide who helped us with technique, reading the river, and knowing what hazards we need to watch out for.

The guide was a lot of fun for my teens; he was mature enough to keep them in line when needed & young enough to engage and relate to them. Soon my nephews were surfing the rapids, talking about experiences to have in high school and college, and taking time for jumping from some favored spots along the river.

We all made it through the last rapid in our kayaks! That was my first time making it all the way without falling out! My oldest nephew did fall out once, but he was surfing/learning, and the guide was right there to assist him in getting back in without going to shore.

I highly recommend Adventurous Fast Rivers Rafting as your outfitter for the Nantahala! I love there knowledgeable staff, excellent and cared for equipment, and their selection of T-shirts! Also, have some extra money on you for their photo CD - they take photos of you doing the last rapid!

They have bathrooms & private changing rooms. They also have a picnic/bbq area for lunch before or celebration after!

Reviewed June 15, 2013

Adventurous Fast Rivers is a outfitter for rafting or kayaking on the beautiful Nantahala River. And in my opinion, they're the best bet for whitewater adventure. Their rafting and funyak (inflatable kayak) trips are less expensive than Nantahala Outdoor Center (NOC) and being a smaller, family-owned company, you'll get better, more individualized service. We last visited as a big group of about twenty and rented funyaks for a trip down the river. They dropped us off at the National Forest launch site near the power plant and we paddled downstream to the take-out just before the NOC. Several people in our group were experienced in whitewater, so we didn't need a guide, but if you're new to whitewater or would feel better, they also provide guided trips. Along the river are many class II rapids, including Patton's Run right at the beginning, Delebar's, Quarry, Whirlpool, The Ledges, The Bump, and at the end is the class III Nantahala Falls. Nantahala Falls is definitely the most challenging, and almost half of the people in our group fell out on this one. It is possible to do a shorter trip and skip this one if you're not comfortable with class III. All paddlers and rafters stop at the outfitters along the river before finishing up, a little ways before The Bump. This allows them to give instruction on navigating the falls as well as notifying them that you will be finished soon so they can pick you up at the take-out. As a warning, Nantahala River is extremely cold year round. It is a dam-controlled river and all the water comes out of the bottom of Nantahala Lake, so its 45 to 50°F year round. We rented wetsuits from the outfitters - a very wise investment.