“Great Family Getaway!”

Deep Creek Tube Center
“Great Family Getaway!”
Reviewed October 29, 2011

We camped here without a reservation in a tent site by the water. The grounds were really pretty. The kids loved the playgrounds and the log fort. We will be back and would recommend deep creek to young families.

Pickens, South Carolina
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Great Campground”
Reviewed September 29, 2011

My wife and I took our two daughters camping in our pop-up camper to this campground. This is a great campground. It is really neat and clean and well kept up. The bathhouses were in great shape. There is two sets of slides and swingsets. There is a volleyball net (of course, we didn't use it due to having two really small kids). The staff was very helpful from the minute we got there. Our campsite was very large and open. There is some trees and brush that seperates some of the sites, but if you are camping as a group, my suggestion is to get the spots near or across the gravel road from the creek. They would be perfect. The creek is pretty big. It is almost big enough to be called a river. There are goats that you can pet and feed (you must buy the food from the camp store). The fire rings have a fold-over grill. I used it to bake our potatoes on. It worked great. Unless I am mistaken, the hot water at the bathouses is provided by a tankless water heater. This is a great feature for me, cause you never have to worry if your shower is going to suddenly get cold. This is a great base camp location. There is plenty to do around Bryson City. Cherokee is only 10 miles away, Gatlinburg is about 35 miles, and the Smoky Mountain Railroad (which we rode) is less than 5 minutes from the campground. "The Road to Nowhere" is a short twenty minute drive to the end of it. We had a great time at this campground, and I recommend it for anyone.

Visited September 2011
1 Thank Stephen P
Grand Cayman
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Fun with the family”
Reviewed September 6, 2011

We just got back from spending two weeks in the Natahala cabin at the Deep Creek Campground, there were some good things & some not so good things about the place.

Lets start with the cabin, in a word SMALL, very basic, there is a small fridge that isn't too bad, cupboards that clearly are not checked after each visitor leaves as we had no forks, a small sink that is way too small to do dishes in, a full size bed & bunk beds which are fine, & a bathroom with a very small shower & a toilet, no bath mat or hooks, and you have to rent or bring your own sheets & towells. Outside the porch is small but nice, however we all got cuts on our shins from the door hitting us as there are two doors and the outside one has a spring on it, painfull.
Then you have a tiny charcoal BBQ & a fire pit & a picnic table, no outside lights except the porch light (we bought a clip on light from the store that really helped). But we enjoyed sitting in our tubes around the camp fire every night. You can buy firewood at the camp store, but take my advice a buy it from a house on the road just before the campground that sells bundles twice as big for much less, it supports the local economy & the little girls that lived there were super nice.

The grounds at Deep Creek are very nice, vollyball court, playground, fort, all well maintained, lots of campsites for RV's & tents, we explored the place at length, there's a nice family feel, our kids made lots of friends as we played vollyball in the afternoon.

However during our visit my friend came up from Atlanta to spend some time with us & they had to pay $5 just to park in the visitors parking at the campground, that didn't seem right to me.

The creek was low, but still very pretty & green, but at one place you turn a corner & there's a slightly deeper spot where the kids liked to swim & even though it says it's a creek exit, what you don't realize is that there is another set of cabins that are seperate from Deep Creek & the people there are not friendly, so you need to go further down & if you inadvertantly cut through there area walking back to your cabin the owners get upset, even though there is nothing telling you not to, it's very misleading.

We rented tubes & went up the road to the National Park & it was great, just amazing, & Bryson City is very nice, a bit run down, but the people are very friendly & it's easy to find your way around, we loved eating at the Iron Skillett & Jimmy Mack's (terriffic service) & the Hallmark Store & Cottage Craftsman gift shop were great for souvineers.

We took several road trip, White Water Rafting, try Wildwater Adventures Middle Ocoee River Trip, great guides & worth the drive to Tennesse, we liked it so much we did it twice! Zip Lineing was just OK but only if you get a cupon from Groupon. We also took road trips that were fun, but beware driving down the mountains at night, it can be scary if you don't know where your going.

Will we be back, not to Deep Creek, but now we're hooked on White Water Rafting, but I liked the place overall and the kids had a great time and we did leave with many fond memories & river rocks in our water shoes.

Visited August 2011
1 Thank CathyinCayman
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“This is the worst place I have ever stayed.”
Reviewed September 4, 2011

When we first arrived we were handed a list of rules and told "make sure you read these!" the people that work here are very rude. We had some friends come up from chattanooga and we were told you can only park one car at a cabin( which is fine despite there is plenty of room for 2) but the office was closed when they arrived so they asked the campground host who told them to park in overflow and the next morning the redneck patrol came around threatening to tow them and not only that, they also told my friend they were giving him a warning and scolded him like a child. They didn't like the way my brother parked his camper so they followed him down and told him about that. They told my other friend he couldn't sign for his credit card because his wife made the reservations. My tube deflated before i could get down the river. Your camping in a field. The fort is rotting as well. Did I mention everyone is very rude. We thought about leaving early but decided to stay due to everyone had already paid. Please don't stay here.

3 Thank Jellicoman
Jacksonville, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A nice relaxing retreat”
Reviewed August 29, 2011

My family and I stayed at this campground this summer and it was such a wonderful experience. With fields for the kids to run in, forts for them to play in, playgrounds, and tubing, we all slept soundly from a full day of playing.

Some days were a bit hot, but the tubing in the creek was the best way to cool off.

Also not far from the campground there are dozens of things to do within easy driving distance, and if you don't feel like driving very much there are 3 beautiful waterfalls just a mile up the road.

The camp store was so cute and the staff was all polite and very helpful. We are definitively calling in January to make our reservations for next year.

Visited August 2011