“Great place for a wedding, customer service is excellent”
Review of Nantahala Village

Nantahala Village
Huntington, West Virginia, United States
“Great place for a wedding, customer service is excellent”
Reviewed May 5, 2013

My brother was married here on may 4,2013. The staff was so friendly and accommodating. The food was fabulous, bar tender and wait staff were superb. Kate Parkerson facilitated all the planning and made sure everything went smoothly and was exactly what the bride and groom wanted. It unfortunately rained on the wedding date, but Kate and her wonderful staff changed the venue for the ceremony and reception seamlessly. It was beautiful, and we will definitely return.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Kate P, General Manager at Nantahala Village, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
It was an honor for us to be part of the wedding celebration. We look forward to seeing you all again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Bryson City, North Carolina
Reviewed September 17, 2012

My family and I recently took a trip up to the Bryson City area and we stayed at the Nantahala Resort, in a Treehouse Cabin, I think it was called. We really enjoyed ourselves! The cabin was very cozy and comfortable, and we had foozball to entertain our kids in the evening. The rec hall was great and had ping pong, which our family really enjoyed playing together. The kids loved the pool, and we had a great time rafting and horseback riding during our stay.
We ate one night at 13 Moons, our server was really quick, and very knowledgeable about the menu. I had the crab-crusted filet, and it was delicious! Cooked perfectly!

Overall, we had a really great experience, from reservation, through the stay, and even got advice about places to stop and see on the way home when we were checking out! We will definitely be back!

Room Tip: We stayed in Treehouse, but the Front Desk Clerk told us they have a few places with hot tubs! That...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Kate P, General Manager at Nantahala Village, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thanks so much for your review! We are as excited as you are about what we have to offer for family gatherings at this amazing property. We'd like to invite you back to enjoy the amenities, the food and the absolutely awesome thing to do in Bryson City.

Looking forward to serving you again soon!

Kate
Rocky Mount, North Carolina
Reviewed September 8, 2012

The pictures of this resort online are very nice. I was very excited to stay there. We were planning to get married on the deck and our family and friends were going to stay at the resort and cabins.
I am very glad we visited before I made plans for our destination wedding.

When we pulled up to the resort, the grounds were not maintained. The fence around the pool was broken with grass and weeds going everywhere. I'm not sure what the lawn maintenance guy does every day.

The room was ok, definitely nothing special, but I was determined to make this work out. That night the air conditioner started making a loud noise. None of us got any sleep. When we told the front desk, they brushed us off and said they would take a look at it. They never once said they were sorry...not once!! That really upset me......where's the customer service!! The owners are lacking in that area too!!

When the wedding coordinator showed us around, again we noticed that the grounds were in desperate need of some TLC!! Needless to say, we have decided to get married at another location.

The best thing out of the entire trip was the restaurant. The food was absolutely great at the Thirteen Moons!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank medlingirl
Kate P, General Manager at Nantahala Village, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Nantahala Village is now under new ownership. We invite you to give us another try.
florida
Reviewed September 4, 2012

We have visited Nantahala Village for many years now. This year 60 of us met up for our annual family reunion and white water rafting trip. The property has changed ownership since the last time we were there in 2009 and seems to be making changes for the better. The new owner (Constantine) is very hands on and was on site every day of our visit. He definitely went above and beyond to ensure that our group had a great stay. The front desk clerk (Shawn) was amazing and so accommodating. He was always there when needed and no matter what we asked he was willing to help us out or point us in the right direction.

You can't get a better location if you're going rafting at the Nantahala Outdoor Center. The hotel is very close & the bus picks you up right out front for the rafting trip. This is not a luxury resort. This is an authentic mountain get away with the log cabins to prove it. There is a pool on site & a huge game room with ping pong, foose ball, ladder ball etc. The restaurant in the lodge is called 13 moons & the food is amazing. I highly recommend the portobello stack. Unfortunately they are not open for breakfast in the morning so you need to plan on leaving the hotel or preparing something in your room. The hotel has several restaurants near by if you choose to eat out.

Overall I highly recommend this hotel. We have stayed in the lodge as well as the cabins and have always been happy with our rooms. When a group of 60 people all leave with a smile on their face the Nantahala Village must be doing something right!!!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank clingle
Dear Valued Guest,

Thanks so much for your review! We are as excited as you about the rebirth of this amazing property. We'd like to invite you back to enjoy the amenities, the food and the absolutely awesome thing to do in Bryson City.

Looking forward to serving you again soon!

Kate
atlanta
Reviewed August 20, 2012

We were there recently and our room (room 11) had chipped peeling paint, no headboard or footboard, no bedside tables and just generally very run down. Bedspread looked to be 30 years old and it, along with the sheets, just did not seem clean. I found out while i was there that they are closing down soon, possibly even as early as today. (8/20/12)

If they do not close down, be very careful about staying there. They have a restaurant (13 Moons) but it was not open for breakfast or lunch. I was able to peep inside another room and it did not look nearly as bad as ours. I am not sure why our particular room was so bad. We could have asked for a different room, but we can tolerate anything for 2 nights.

Traffic noise was also a huge negative. Trucks and cars fly by and the "resort" is right on the main highway so, especially in room 11, the traffic noise is quite bad. Perhaps if you are in one of the cabins that sit much further off the road it would not be an issue.

Also, I needed ice during the night for a bad headache and the ice machine was not even working. They have really let the place go and if they do indeed close down, it's no wonder.

I also heard the pool tables in the cabins had been repossessed, so if you go and think you will have a pool table in your cabin, you better double check.

When we arrived at 4, which is check in time, our room was not ready. It was not ready until close to 5pm. All of the staff was standing outside near the front door smoking when we arrived. How gross and smelly.

I wish i had something good to say about this place, but I really can't think of one thing. Oh, I guess the best thing about it is that it is just down the street from the Nantahala Outdoor Center. Now THAT is a good place for breakfast and lunch. (didn't eat dinner there). It's fun to sit outside and watch the rafters and kayakers go by on the river.

Room Tip: Avoid room 11 unless you know the "resort" comes under new management and you can see pic...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank treenie12
Nantahala Village is under new ownership and management. We invite you to give us another try.
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed July 19, 2012

We stayed at the cabin between the streams for our anniversary. Although we enjoyed our time, the owners misrepresented the description of the cabin. There is a small trickling stream behind the cabin, but don't get the impression that it was a rushing stream. The other stream was actually a drainage ditch. The cabin was quite small but well furnished and comfortable. We booked the cabin because of the description but were disappointed when we couldn't open the windows or door in our bedroom to actually hear the stream. The hot tub was big but did not have much power. All in all, not too bad, but we were disapointed.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Cindy T
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed July 14, 2012

I chose to stay here at the Nantahala Village Resort Lodge for 3 nights during the July 4, 2012 holiday weekend.

I chose to stay at the lodge itself, which is like a motel, except with scenic views of the mountains, if you choose the correct room. 1/2 of the lodge overlooks the swimming pool and parking lot, and if you pay a small upcharge fee, then you get the prettier side, of viewing a portion of the mountains depending on where your room is. For instance I took notes that rooms 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 10, & 11 have scenic views, with what I suspect rooms 10 & 11 will probably get most of the mountain view, and room 1, the least view. We were in room 5 I believe; which was the Shakespeare room.

The Nantahala Lodge itself, is not like a log cabin inside, as the interiors of the room look like motel rooms, but our room was in nice shape when we arrived.

One of the housekeepers, named Sara, was a disaster! She didn't empty any of our trash, left pillows on the floor, (can you believe this?), loosely pulled up the bed covers and kicked trash under the sink, didn't do any cleaning period! I'm a world-wide travleer, and I was astonished by this!!! This is just NOT acceptable; I've stayed at $49 a night motels with better housekeeping than this.

The GOOD thing for us, Sara only worked on Friday, and our other 2 days was tended to by a much better housekeeper, who I believe her name was Tara.

I articulated these feelings with Sean, who is the front desk manager, and explained to him, they need to dismiss the terrible housekeeper, Sara. He said she'd been written up before for these problems and agreed with me the whole way, and said others have complained about housekeeping in the lodge because of her laziness and poor service.

Okay, moving on....

#1.) They do have the 13 Moons restaurant on-site, just beneath the lodge, but it is only open for dinner; not lunch nor for breakfast. I agree with the a previous reviewer that they should open the 13 Moons for lunch & breakfast so I don't have to keep driving all around hunting for places to eat.

I did eat at 13 Moons restaurant twice. Once was on a Friday night, when the banjo player, nicknamed, "Blue" was there. He plays Blue Grass music & sings while playing banjo out on the porch-side of the restaurant. Not interested in sitting outside in the elements? That's fine, too, as they have seating inside as well, in cool air conditioning.

As for the quality of the food, it was just so-so. Nothing great or spectacular, but also not tragically bad either. I do recommend steering clear of the HOT wings; it was just WAYYY too much fire; go with mild wings instead.

The greatest thing they've got going for them with the restaurant is the view, but ONLY if you get over on the FAR left side, and OUTSIDE where there's more view of the mountain hills. The right side is obscured by trees.

#2.) They offer a little, but inadequate breakfast menu of little bites to eat at their Mountain Perks, (little breakfast sandwiches), but seriously, it's not enough, if you want a real, bona-fide hearty breakfast. I was told their coffee there is good, but I didn't audition, since I don't drink coffee much.

#3.) Surprisingly, they didn't have any other entertainment, activities or shows, other than the banjo player "Blue", who plays in the restaurant on Friday nights. I'm used to the TONS of entertainment provided on cruises, so this resort was rather empty-handed for any entertainment options, other than the banjo player on Friday nights.

#4.) They do have a billiards table, and other soccer table game, (with the turning men), a basketball court below the lodge, and I think tennis, along with a basic motel-like swimming pool, next to the lodge. You do have to ask for the sports equipment and pool balls as it's not kept in the recreation room. I found that out nearly toward the end of my stay. Sorry, kids, but NO video games or arcades in the recreation hall.

#5.) If you're looking for the prettiest, most panoramic & scenic view on their entire property, surprisingly, it's at the playground, between cabins 23 & 34, at the top of Observation Point Road. I really feel they should be building more cabins in that little stretch, or another lodge of suped-up fireplace suites. It seems like a lot of wasted space for a playground, and green area especially for kids who don't appreciate mountain views, anyway, like adults do.

In other areas....

I did take a walk down to the Nanatahala Riding Stables which is operated by a family. However, when arrived down there by foot, there was only 1 man in the horse stable on his cell phone the whole 5 minutes I was there, and nobody tending to any visitors that come walking by. I waited for the man to get off his cell phone to at least acknowledge & recognize us, but he didn't and acted like they didn't need the business, so we left.

We also did visit the Nantahala Spa house. Again, there's a feeling of lonliness here as well. Nobody was in the house, to tend to visitors dropping by, and their services are by appointment only. So you have to call.

I feel that between the horse riding stables & the spa for which they have both on-site, that there is a bit of neglect for prospective customers, as there isn't anyone manning either site location to answer any inquiries at those locations. It feels the farther you get away from home base, (meaning the lodge), it becomes a lonely stretch the rest of the way down leading to both the horse riding stable and the spa.

If you're looking for 1st class lodging it's often hard to find out in the wilderness, because so many cabins on-site here, co-located on the lodge grounds, have not been renovated. I'd say your best bet will be to go with one of their newer fireplace suites, (from what I was told by staff personnel), or to stay in their motel-like lodge, as I did, which is upstairs. (No elevator either). Otherwise you'll have to look elsewhere for luxury log cabin rentals, which I believe they offer down the road scattered about in different locations outside of the lodge grounds.

Making a reservation at the lodge was a rather cumbersome & lengthy process, as you have to do it over the phone and not able to do it thru the internet. They fax a form over you to sign and fax it back to them -- kind of a primitive way of doing business in modern times. Also their website is not updated either. They also charge a $35 reservation fee, like many cabins do.

The reason I have the property & lodge rated as "very good" is because of its location. It is situated in a scenic part of the Nantahala National Forest / Nantahala Gorge area. I think they could be doing more with this property as addressing the lack of customer service at the horse riding stables & spa locations, as well as sprucing up the tired, dated-looking recreation hall, and offering more activities & entertainment on big holiday weekends during the summer time. Also, the many cottages they have on property need updating, and they need to get rid of a housekeeper at the lodge, too.

For breakfast & lunch I recommend driving about 3-4 miles South on Hwy 19, down to the N.O.C., the Nantahala Outdoor Center, and try eating at the wildly popular River's End restaurant, (as we did twice for breakfast), and Slow Joe's is also there on the other side of the river bank, (walking distance, between both restaurants). We found that the mecca of life seems to be located at the N.O.C. (Hint: For better parking space access, cross over the bridge on to the other side of the Nantahala River). Both restaurants are located on the Nantahala River and there's a NICE walking bridge for GREAT photo opportunities, too!

Dates of Stay: July 5 - July 8, 2012, at the lodge itself.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Two Rivers Lodge
Two Rivers Lodge
#3 of 10 in Bryson City
Lloyds on the River Country Inn

Been to Nantahala Village? Share your experiences!