“If you enjoy church camp this is for you...”
Review of Hemlock Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bryson City
Hemlock Inn
Ranked #6 of 10 Bryson City B&B and Inns
Knoxville, TN
“If you enjoy church camp this is for you...”
Reviewed September 21, 2009

I can blame myself for not reading more carefully. As one reviewer stated, this should be advertised as a Christian based inn. The rule book included in the hotel information booklet states that you cannot have alcohol in any public areas, along with a long list of do's and dont's. I find that interesting as the chairs in the rooms were so uncomfortable you couldn't sit in them for more than 10 minutes and there wasn't even a head board on the bed, so sitting on the bed was an uncomfortable chore. There was no table between the two chairs to even leave your reading material, or a footstool to make sitting more comfortable. That leaves the "common" areas to sit, but you can't have a drink in any common area, so there you go. There is no coffee maker, no hair dryer (which I really didn't expect) and 2 thin towels. (you can request more if you want to be demanding). When I go on vacation, I like to have the time to myself. Although the food was good, sitting at an assigned table with 8 people I didn't know was more than I anticipated. Standing up behind the dining room chair waiting for grace was like being at a formal Thanksgiving dinner with unknown relatives. I can't say the service was more than mediocre in the dining room. i was never asked if I needed refills of water, tea or coffee at breakfast.

I woke up in the night to burning, red eyes from the windows being open the whole time as there is no air conditioning. The room didn't get hot, but if you have allergies, be sure and take Benadryl. The location was much farther away from town than we had originally thought.

We did have breakfast and dinner included in our $190.00 bill. Even with the good food the room still had water stains on the ceiling, cracks in the old wall paper, old green fuzzy carpet that was lumpy and loose, and no normal room amenities. In comparison to other bed and breakfast experiences in this area, this rate seemed high.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank flory91

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Washington, DC
Reviewed August 30, 2009

Whether you are looking for a romantic getaway or a traditional family vacation this is a great spot. My boyfriend has been going since he was a teenager, and I can see why. The Hemlock Inn harkens to a simpler time when delicious food, great conversation and being with the ones you love were to be celebrated. It's close to lots of great hiking and other outdoor activities as well as other historical attractions. I highly recommend the Hemlock Inn - it's a treasure!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Hollinsgal
ENFIELD
Reviewed July 29, 2009

It was my Mom's birthday and I took her on vacation, from the Hemlocks web site they looked and sounded great. That is as far as it went, in reality it was very dissappointing. The room are out of date, the bathroom had low light, a mirror so high above the sink that I had to stand on my tip toe's to see in it, The food was not good. We had planned on staying 2 nights and cancelled the 2nd night after we got there. This place needs major updateing, a better Chef in the kitchen, and friendlier management. I would not recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed July 2009
2 Thank postp
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed September 22, 2008

I have been staying at Hemlock Inn since I was a kid with my parents and now me and my husband vacation there every year. Hemlock has the most relaxing atmosphere and when we arrive there I can almost feel the stress just fall off! There are no tvs, A/C, computers, etc. but you don't need any of them! The cool mountain air is enough to cool you during the summer and with no tvs you get to actually enjoy the company of your friends and family there! Everyone is very friendly, especially the staff! They will help you find all of the mountain activities that they have close by. The food is absolutely wonderful and is enjoyed in a family atmosphere! My husband I absolutely love coming to Hemlock and we look forward to it every year as it allows us to escape the daily stresses that we have and gives us the chance to really reconnect with each other! We will continue to come every year!

• Liked — Relaxing, frendly atmosphere and great food!
  • Disliked — Nothing! I love Hemlock!!!
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
Clearwater, Florida
Reviewed July 16, 2008

We love the Hemlock Inn! We had been staying in Cherokee on our annual trip to the area., but the Hemlock is a perfect location for everything. This is our second year and we plan to return .
It is like a bed and breakfast hotel! No TV, no A/C, no phones (who needs them!!!) How about a library, ping pong, shuffleboard, etc, with other young children there to play with (and play they do, as they meet each other at dinner and breakfast). You sit with fellow guests (many long-time returnees) following an optional blessing and get to enjoy the best home cooked meals you will ever have, served family style on lazy susans, 10 people per table.
Location is perfect, 50 secluded acres with trails on north end of Bryson City. Get to Bryson City in minutes (Train), on same road as Deep Creek section of SMNP (dirt road here, but easy entrance thru Bryson City on paved road) 10 miles to Cherokee,
Pricing is fair...the food is great...the staff is excellent. I am Marriott Platinum so I have stayed in all kinds of hotels and this is a winner.

• Liked — Food
  • Disliked — no pool
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Miami, FL
Reviewed May 31, 2008

As first-time guests, my husband and I joined another couple who have been coming here for 15 years.
We were struck by the tranquil beauty of the place, by the friendly atmosphere, and the proximity of the wilderness. Not fancy by any means, the long-time owners offer comfortable accommodations and family style Southern cooking. There are nice touches such as blankets enclosed in sheets, a cozy comforter available for the cool nights, and a charming library with a variety of books.
We loved the opportunity to just sit and quietly observe birds from the porch with a magnificent view of the mountains, when we were not hiking or bicycling on the Blue Ridge Parkway. It is a perfect getaway for anyone looking for an escape from the world of electronics and traffic.
We look forward to coming again to this mountain retreat. I particularly anticipate bringing our children and grandchildren, who would love the hiking and tubing opportunities just a few minutes away. They might also work on a jigsaw puzzle, play ping-pong, or read a book.

• Liked — Proximity to wilderness, wonderful staff, beautiful environment.
  • Disliked — The Southern food is a bit heavy.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank JBS64
Hilton Head Island, SC
Reviewed May 19, 2008

I started coming to Hemlock Inn in 2000 and I really can't say enough wonderful things about this inn. The highlight of every day is probably the delicious Southern food served at breakfast and dinner, all served family style. The food is always accompanied by wonderful conversation with other travelers staying in the inn and the jokes of innkeeper Mort White. You don't come to Hemlock Inn for the pool, tvs, or wi-fi (the inn has none of the above). Hemlock Inn is a place you come to slow down. Walk the trails that wind through the land around the inn, play skittles or shuffle board behind the dining room, or just sit in a red rocking chair and watch the fog roll past the mountains. For adrenaline junkies, whitewater rafting is a short drive away at the NOC and tubing is just down the road at Deep Creek. I always leave feeling refreshed and looking forward to our next family vacation at Hemlock Inn.

• Liked — Secluded location/Southern food (couldn't pick just one)
  • Disliked — Needs new paddles for the ping pong table
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
#1 of 10 in Bryson City
Calhoun House Inn & Suites
Calhoun House Inn & Suites
#4 of 10 in Bryson City

Been to Hemlock Inn? Share your experiences!