“Wonderful getaway!”
Review of Hemlock Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bryson City
Hemlock Inn
Ranked #6 of 10 Bryson City B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 29, 2014

My wife and I wanted to get away for the weekend without the kids. A close friend recommended the Hemlock Inn. The rooms are rustic and quaint. The setting is secluded. As soon as we arrived, I felt we were part of a family reunion. Everyone was SO nice and friendly. The staff was very helpful with ideas of things to do in the area. We got to know several families over dinner at the round table. The lazy susan made it easy to share the meal family style. The food was wonderful! I'm so glad we made it in time for dinner Friday night! The inn was a bargain since dinner and breakfast were included. These were not your typical meals. There was a variety of food and everything was so good! We are already planning to return with the kids and my parents. I finished reading 2 books and my wife and I spent some great quality time together. Great weekend!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank CBrown451

Reviewed June 21, 2014

We had a very nice 3-day visit at the Hemlock Inn at one of the prettiest times of the year, the first week in May. I have been going to Gatlinburg in the spring for decades, since a time when it did not get so busy until schools let out in June. However, Gatlinburg is so over-crowded all year now that we decided to go to what is referred to as the “quiet side of the Smokies” this year.

The Hemlock Inn is a small family-owned mountain inn that is a little like a pleasant trip to 1968. It is located on a knoll with a beautiful view of the mountains near Bryson City, NC. The rooms are a little “retro” because they have always been that way and not because it is the current fad, although the bathrooms have been upgraded to the 21st century. The staff is friendly and helpful, and they have a resident naturalist on site for a few weeks in the spring and fall to lead short hikes. A hearty family-style southern breakfast is included, and optional dinner (our schedule did not allow us to include dinner, but I understand that it is very good). It can be a little bit of a challenge to find the first time, but not a problem once you know where you are going. Verizon cell phone service is accessible; other service providers are weak or unavailable.

The Deep Creek and Smokemont areas of the Smoky Mountains National Park are 15-20 minutes away, from which hundreds of miles of hiking trails are accessible, as well as several nice waterfalls lots of wildflowers, and tubing on the creek. The Blue Ridge Parkway begins in Cherokee. The Balsam Mtn area is just to the east. Fontana Lake is just to the west. Bryson City has a few nice restaurants, a local brewery and a train ride.

As much as we enjoyed our stay, it might not be for everyone. If you have a problem with upscale southern cooking, being available at the scheduled time to enjoy it, sharing a moment of gratitude before eating it, making new friends among the other guests, or not having access to a lot of foofie amenities, there are 5-star hotels in Asheville for you. We will definitely go to the Hemlock Inn again.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank sblambert1
Reviewed June 20, 2014 via mobile

I wanted a place that would be quiet and restful-- restorative and peaceful. Hemlock Inn did the trick for me. I took my two teenage boys with me not quite knowing what their reactions would be. They loved it! As we drove away my 16 year old said that he wanted to go back. Be aware that this is not a modern setting but a quaint throwback. Just my speed. Breakfast and dinner are served family style. The food was good. Mostly, I savored the conversations and increased exposure to other people that my boys experienced during meals. It's not a place of constant action. Instead peaceful, tranquil, relaxing, and quiet.

Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed June 7, 2014

The wonderful food, friendly staff, secluded location, and family friendly atmosphere are just the beginning of this gem of an Inn at the Great Smoky Mountains. Every day at this Inn was a treasure to be remembered. I can't say enough of the attention to detail at this comfortable inn.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Roundolette, and loved it.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 4, 2014

Want a beautiful, secluded surroundings with great views?! Hemlock Inn is the place to go. Want great food?! Again, Hemlock is there. The rooms are nicely decorated and comfortable. The staff are the best: helpful and friendly. One gets two meals a day with the price, and it is a delightful time of day. Big round tables, family-style presentation when the food arrives and lots of it. They even have a cookbook for sale with their great recipes. The main building is furnished beautifully with all kinds of things to do: shuffleboard, ping-pong, cards, puzzles, tv, hiking trails, items to read, a library with a computer to use, gift shop, etc. There are no TVs or phones in the room which adds to the relaxing, quiet place that it is. One might want to take a fan if staying during the summer even though evenings cool off from the day. There is no air conditioning in the rooms, but usually a breeze. I like the porch rooms where a breeze flows through the rooms. It is comfortable, however, without air conditioners. It is close to Bryson City if one wants restaurants, shops, pharmacy or grocery stores. Tubing down the river is another delightful past time close by. We go nearly every year with a family reunion and are always sad to leave this relaxing, fun place.

Room Tip: I like the porch rooms. One can sit by the room and enjoy being outside while in the room. They are...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Linda B
Reviewed October 30, 2013

My wife and I spent the weekend at Hemlock Inn. We really enjoy visiting the mountains and why we have not ever heard of Hemlock Inn I do not know. As first time visitors we were outnumbered greatly be long time returnees. We are definitely going back as we have already made reservations for the future. This inn is a throwback to a different day and age. If you are looking for an upscale inn and a busy glitzy nightlife, this place is not for you. The inn looks old because it is old, built in the 50s and without much updating since. However the rooms are clean and quaint without phones or tv and the bathroom is old but serviceable.

Many of the people we met at our table had been coming for over 30 years and now we know why. What you see is what you get at the Hemlock Inn. This place is about southern hospitality, southern tradition, and feeling at home.You are asked to stand behind your chair for the blessing before each meal. If that offends this place is probably not right for you. It didn't seem to offend those in attendance during our stay as most voiced a hearty Amen at the conclusion of the prayer.

The food is served homestyle on big lazy susan tables where you turn the table to bring each dish to you. You eat what you want and as much as you want and the food takes you back to your mama's table or your grandmother's table.it is southern cooking at its best. The cost includes a night's stay and 2 meals. Once you figure the cost of 2 all you can eat meals and a nice quiet peaceful night's rest on the mountain, the cost to stay is not overpriced at all.

To be honest the Hemlock Inn is not for everybody. But what hotel or inn really is? Most of the people staying there were in the age range of 50+ and these folks appreciated what the Hemlock Inn is all about. The location offers beautiful mountain scenery in a nice quiet setting where you can get quality homestyle southern cooking. Who could ask for motre?

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TownsendTraveler
Reviewed October 7, 2013

Perfect place to relax. Great views, great character and friendly staff. Remember it was built in the sixties and tries to maintain that charm. It rain the night we were there, so we left the door open to the screened porch and slept like a baby. Hope to visit again.

• Stayed: October 2013