“Awesome place to stay....”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bryson City
Falling Waters Adventure Resort
Richmond, VA
“Awesome place to stay....”
Reviewed August 1, 2011

OK first off - it is a Yurt...it is not a hotel room - so keep that in mind.

for those who don't know what a yurt is - and many of my friends asked "You are staying in what?" it is basically a glorified ridgided round tent - with electricity. There is no attached bathrooms - but there is a bathhouse within a very short walking distance.

the pictures on thier site are very accurate.

We rented the Safari Yurt for two nights on-line and paid on-line - we arrived after normal business hours but were easily able to find the rafting center (basically across the street from the entrance to Falling waters) and follow the directions on how to get our key and easily obtain our key to our yurt.

The yurt was clean and quite comfortable even though it was warm out as the box fan had been left running. There was a musty smell but that was to be expected since we are in the middle of the woods. My sister had a travel candle she lit up and within a few minutes musty smell was no more. The only problem we ran into was one of the blades for the ceiling fan was chipped which caused the fan to wobble and squeak when we put the ceiling fan on - we really didn't need it as the box fan did a great job at keeping us comfortable so we had it off most of the time...

The Safari Yurt was situated back behind the bathrooms - very easy walk to the bathroom.

The bathrooms were clean and decent - there are about 4 bathrooms with toilet, sink and standup shower - i never had to wait for one and they were cleaned everyday.

Now walking to the bathroom - they do provide you with a flashlight in the yurt but our beam wasn't very strong so we just used the iHandy flashlight app on our iPhones - if you are sans iPhones I would take a nice strong flashlight with you to have on hand. Also speaking of iPhones/smartphones....Verizon you have 3G capabilities - ATT you have E sometimes...sometimes no signal (goes in and out - but that is what I found for most of our trip through tennessee and western NC - not just at the Yurts)....I was the one with the AT&T phone and I was able to use it - just was VERY slow sometimes - so we wound up using my sisters Verizon line for a lot of our searching when we needed too

The yurt was clean, had electricity - a mini fridge, stereo, lights and a coffee maker. The bed was comfy with extra blankets and pillows.

It appeared most of the yurts were rented the weekend we were there but it was quite quiet - I enjoyed reading my book in the evening to the sounds of crickets and bull frogs

My sister and I had a very enjoyable time and would love to go back and bring my daughters

As for the Yurt itself - while the Safari one was nice if I was to rent again I would probably try and rent either 1 or 6 by the ponds so we could have a bit of a view. OR the gorge yurt - it is a little bit away from the bathrooms (maybe 100 yards) and has a number of steps to get up to the yurt but the view is spectacular...so if you are a heavy sleeper and require no 1 am trips to the bathroom I say go for the Gorge Yurt...next the the gorge yurt is the waterfall yurt - which probably has some great views but not as clear as the gorge one. They do have a handicap accessiable yurt as well...

I would also bring with you some bug spray for yourself - they do provide a nice can of bug and wasp killing spray but you might want some OFF for yourself - I did get a few bug bites -but nothing terrible.

Overall I thoughly enjoyed my stay in a Yurt and if I was to come back to the area I would stay here again over your basic hotel....

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
5 Thank jlynnva

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Chesapeake, Virginia
Reviewed July 11, 2011

We booked the Yurt on line and paid on-line. When we arrived we gave our name and the key was waiting for us no gliches at all. I was hoping that the web site picture of the Yurts were reasonably accurate and to my surprise the pictures were a perfect representation of the condition of the Yurt. My two grandchildren were happy with the accomendations and especially with the fire pit. The idea of camping is maintained but the Yurt provides comfortable sleeping conditions and the other amenities were all we needed. I would certainly go back because this was a wonderful vacation.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank walwhis
Peoria, Illinois
Reviewed July 9, 2011

We stayed at one of the yurts at falling waters in late June in conjunction with a rafting and ziplining offered by the same parent company. We stayed in the Garden Yurt right along the lake. It was really cooking in the yurt when we arrived since this yurt is in the direct sun but when we rolled up the screen covers, opened the top, and turned on the fans the yurt cooled off very quickly and was quite comfortable.
It is very peaceful in the "yurt village" except for the soft buzzing of zipliners flying around in the nearby trees. We brought our own food and enjoyed the outdoors. There was an outdoor grate charcoal grill and fire pit available. The refrigerators in the yurts were decently sized and held enough for us. We felt like we got a great value in the yurts and are now looking to stay in yurts in other locations in the future.

Room Tip: The Gorge Yurt has the absolute best view, without question!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank hikerkidz
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed May 17, 2011

We arrived in the evening and first had a difficult time locating where we should pick up our key (the directions were not clear). We tried to contact the resort, but as it was after hours we spoke to an answering service. The lady kept telling me I was in South Carolina, although I was clearly in Bryson City, North Carolina. She was absolutely no help - and we never received a call the next day from the resort.

Upon arrival at our Yurt, we were surrounded by a swarm of borer bees which had taken up residence in the awning. After about half an hour of spraying, beating with a broom, and stomping we had, unfortunately, killed the bees. We ended stuffing tin foil in the holes where they had come from.

The next morning we called to speak to someone locally to see if we could move to another Yurt - we were told we could, that they had received a message from the answering service (which relayed the wrong unit we were in), and were handed a key. Not once was there an apology for what had greeted us at the Yurt or for the miscommunication from the answering service.

Although the Yurts were neat and clean (as were the grounds), I do not feel the customer service was up to par.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank TAM3540
campaholickat
Reviewed August 13, 2009

We wanted to go camping & experience the adventure of white water rafting in NC so my friend found Falling Waters Adventure Resort. It offered packages on room plus rafting so we booked it. In addition we booked ourselves for the zip-lining that they just started offering which is a pretty intense bit of fun.

The yurts were super comfortable, but it can only be compared to a tent or cabin type enviro. And it exceeds all expectations in my book. Ours comes equipped with mini-fridge, radio, coffee pot, queen bed & futon, ceiling & box fans; not to mention the hardwood floors, skylight, locking doors & porch! The staff there is fantastic & they supply towels to the rooms daily as well as keeping the bathrooms super tidy.

Every yurt comes with a porch with chairs & table, grill, picnic table, hammock & water hose. The bath house is centrally located with individual rooms that contain a shower, potty & sink. There's also a hot tub!

Activities include rafting, zip-lining, swimming on a fingerling of Lake Fontana & hiking (to the lake & waterfall overlook onsite). Just nearby is gem mining, horseback riding, kayaking & canoeing.

We had a great stay but something should definitely be mentioned...The county here is dry! Bryson City at 7 miles away is the closest stop to resupply so come prepared.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank campaholickat
Flower Mound, Texas
Reviewed October 25, 2008

My wife and I had the Yurt Village recommended to us by a coworker. We went in November (big mistake on my part) and were extremely cold during the night. I wouldn't consider this a "resort." It's more like a hybrid between camping and a hotel room. The room was cozy in the day. Nice bedding, hardwood floor, ceiling fan, etc. But like camping there is no bathroom or shower except at the bath house. Also, out cabin had the "best view" but it was really disappointing. If you are planning to raft the Natahala Rier, this would be an excllent location since the Village is a couple of miles from where the rafting trip ends. You could be out of the water and in a hot shower in 15 minutes. Also, Cherokee, NC is not too far from the Village if you want to try some gambling (although the electronic gambling is awful). I highly recomend staying in the summer or fall months. We had booked two evenings but because of the cold we only stayed one. The staff was kind enough to give us a rain check for the second evening, which we gave away to some friends who live closer to the Yurts.

• Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
West Palm Beach, FL
Reviewed July 16, 2008

Tucked away in the Nantahala River Gorge in Western NC was a GREAT relaxing vacation!
Stay in the African Yurt or the high Yurt overlooking the gorge.
Wildwater rafting was fun too!
We will go back and stay longer!
Sleeps 4...
A small walk to clean bathrooms and shower...
Bull frogs sing you to sleep!
Sit around your own private campfire!

• Liked — Different and layed back...like camping with comfort...white water rafting and hiking...very private!
  • Disliked — Do not go if you are into 5 star comfort...this is a YURT...kids will love it!
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Bryson City
Lloyds on the River Country Inn
Sleep Inn Bryson City - Cherokee Area
Baymont Inn & Suites Cherokee Smoky Mountains

Been to Falling Waters Adventure Resort? Share your experiences!