“Nice Motel”

Sunset Motel
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Brevard
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 4, 2013

We stayed here a couple a weeks ago while in town for a family reunion. The room was clean and you can see the owner has completed lots of renovations. Size of the room was fine as well. Only issue I had was the same as another reviewer recently stated and that was the online booking. I made a reservation online for an apartment that they offer above the office area that was available at the time and two days later I got a phone call telling me that in fact that it was not available. So I was offered another room that was a little more in price but I took it anyway. I emailed the owner and she responded about two weeks later to tell me that their online system doesn't work very well. I also asked about a discount that was supposed to be offered to people in town for the reunion and I had booked before the cutoff date but was told I was too late and that not enough people had made arrangements to stay so she couldn't honor them. I didn't bother to push this since it's kinda obvious they have issues with there computer system or the operators. Long story short I would stay here again but next time I will try to make the reservation over the phone instead.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rca72
SunsetOwner, Owner at Sunset Motel, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2013

Thank you for writing a review! First, let me apologize again for our online booking errors. The good news is that we have a sophisticated POS system to put in place starting December that will eliminate these problems. (We couldn't install in high season without major disruption in service.)

As for group booking, this is an area of concern for us. All hotels have cut-off deadlines for group bookings that are done individually. After a time,we cannot save rooms for people who may not book and turn others away if we are close to the date. Since we are much lower in price than the other 2 respected hotels in town, even our full rates in high season can be 40% to 55% lower on weekends .

We're glad to hear you would stay again and we hope to see you next year! Lori

Reviewed October 27, 2013

The Sunset Motel is an old '50's slightly renovated one with, as one reviewer said, quirky details. If you know ahead of time that beds will not be made, trash will not be taken out, and clean towels will be provided only if you put your dirty ones outside the door in your appropriate chair, well, then you will not be taken back by these different approaches to hotel service.

Rooms were small; our beds made so much noise when we turned over that we sometimes woke each other up. The bathroom was larger than some more modern locations, but ours was not really clean...needed a paint job for sure. The little closet in our room looked as if it had not been used for a very long time. Curtains were new, but the rods reflected many years of use. Artsy items and colorful bedspreads help to add cheer to an otherwise rather dark room. No breakfast items provided.

Mamagement was prepared for our check-in and was very nice. Location is also a plus, within a walking distance of the historic downtown, at least, for most in our group. Parking slots must be based on the 50's car sizes, as a large SUV has trouble fitting in.

I lived the 50's and don't really want to return to the limited situations of the motels in that era, but for younger people who think this is cute, the Sunset Motel will be fine. As for me, and at the same high price of the "leaf" season, I would prefer a more modern motel.

Room Tip: Ask to be on the front, not the back side, if you want to gather with friends. However, do bring ea...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Lynda W
SunsetOwner, Owner at Sunset Motel, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2014

I'm sorry that we did not fit your needs and it does sound like you expected us to be something different and I'm sorry for the confusion. We do offer daily cleaning upon request. That is made clear in a sign at check in, in our quick welcome spiel, on your room receipt and in your guest brochure. You are correct that we do not offer breakfast. The way we stay one of the lowest lodging options in Brevard is by cutting out expensive add-ons or making them optional. I understand that we don't suit everyone and am sorry you were disappointed. There are many great lodging options here and we hope you find one you like! Lori

Reviewed October 23, 2013

We had a little trouble with on-line booking, but that's my only complaint. Other than that, the Sunset was great, and I love it's quirkiness, and that every room is different. Room17 had two queen beds and was clean, bright and cheerful, with an energizing turquoise accent wall and posters of period icons (Audrey Hepburn, Elvis.) It was equipped with a microwave and fridge, which is handy for leftovers from those great Brevard restaurants. It seemed adequately clean to me, and I'm particular. In regards to previous comments about the carpeting, it seemed clean, just a bit worn in places. (The main problem is that it was real thin, indoor/outdoor type carpet. In my experience, this type of carpeting -counterintuitively-wears out quickly and is hard to remove stains from. Might I suggest a thicker carpet next time, or better yet, a retro checkerboard vinyl tile?)
At any rate this is a fun place to stay, and we'll be back. Next time I'll ask for room 12, on the end and tucked into a piney border.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 23, 2013

This is a fun trip into the past. Our room was clean and comfortable but a bit dark. The staff is accommodating and very friendly, even rebooting the internet connection when I couldn't get my iPad to connect. The internet service is free but pretty spotty, dropping out several times, so if you have serious work to do you'd better stay somewhere else. My only gripe is that when we canceled one nights stay, our rate changed and we weren't informed so we were taken aback by the change in the bill - a misunderstanding that could easily have been avoided.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TientsinMama
Reviewed October 11, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Sunset Motel last weekend. What a gem. our room was right next to the front office and check in was quick and efficient. Our little room, and I do mean little, was lovely. When we went to bed, the flat screen TV was right in front of us on the wall.

I guess what really cinched our stay was the owner replying to one of the negative reviews here, apologizing for a bit of mold on the shower curtain and that it would be taken care of asap. She is not a big franchise that doesn't really care when people complain about their stay. I like that. If you don't care about a swimming pool, sauna or breakfast, you will enjoy you stay here.

We found both the workers, John and Jourdaine, to be helpful in answering all our questions and giving us directions to where we wanted to go.

We were even able to watch the Brevard homecoming parade from the front lawn, which added to the 50ish motif.

Be aware, that there is no smoking in the rooms or on the grounds and you will sign a waiver to that effect. Smokers were asked to smoke out on the sidewalk next to the street.
Now, if my husband had only not left his favorite pillow there. :)

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Sue R

Thank you for your terrific review! We hope to have you back. I wish you had let us know about the pillow because we would have sent it to you. Many people leave pillows and we can only keep them for about a month afterwards because we can't store everything since we have little storage space. If I had a dime for every phone charger we've got in our lost and found I'd be rich! Thanks again, Lori

Reviewed October 6, 2013

I stayed here the weekend of 10/4/13 and this place is wonderful. As stated by many before it is clean, it is quaint, and a true example of lost Americana. The owner has a true grasp of what she has and is making a stay here enjoyable and unique. My only concerns were the lack of coffee mugs for sale with the snappy neon sign on it, t-shirts, or a reality tv show based on the owner and her life since moving to Brevard. All three would be a hit.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank LHT030865
Reviewed September 23, 2013

My husband and I stayed during our time in Brevard for the Pisgah Stage Race. The owner, Lori, was great- helping with the race and accommodating what the racers needed. Our room was clean, the kitchenette was great, and the atmosphere was just was we needed for the race. Definitely would recommend the Sunset to others and will stay there again if ever back in Brevard.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

Can't thank you enough for taking the time to write us a nice review! Lori

Also consider these accommodations in or near Brevard
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Brevard
#8 of 11 in Hendersonville
Red Roof Inn Hendersonville
Red Roof Inn Hendersonville
#7 of 11 in Hendersonville

Been to Sunset Motel? Share your experiences!