“Clean, Friendly Staff, and Ovealll Fun Experience”
Review of Sunset Motel

Sunset Motel
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Brevard
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 26, 2012

The Motel is older and retro but clean and is a great value. The staff are super friendly and accomodating. I know they are in the process of updating/renovating but keeping with the retro theme. I will for sure go back and check it out and stay there whenever I go to the area.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed October 25, 2012

I travel a lot for work and stay in a lot of fancy hotels, but my preference for personal travel are vintage motels- so I've stayed in a lot of them. The Sunset Motel is certainly one of the nicest I've stayed in. The beds were clean and very, very comfortable, the room's style was fun and unique. The room (and bathroom) was normal size for the period- not huge, but big enough.

The staff is second to none- all very pleasant and cheerful.

Will I be back? Absolutely- it will be my first choice next time I'm in the area and I look forward to Lori's updating and refreshing of this classic motel.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Erik J
SunsetOwner, Owner at Sunset Motel, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2012

Thank you so much for your kind words. It feels good to know that we are on the right path with the motel. Comments such as yours make the hard work worthwhile! Come back soon! Lori

Reviewed October 19, 2012

I would not stay at this motel again. The beds were not comfy, and the place does not look nearly as nice in person as it does in the pictures. The towels were rough as if they have never heard of fabric softener. It is overpriced for what you are getting. It is what I would expect out of a $40 a night motel. Oh and they also tried to give us the smaller queen with 2 beds, when we were paying for the "deluxe." On the plus side they do have wifi, which I used to book a room elswhere for the next night so I would not have to stay here two nights. The lady at the front desk was very nice.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank stingray600
SunsetOwner, Owner at Sunset Motel, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2012

We are so sorry that you were so disappointed with your experience at the motel. Your ratings & review stated/reflected that you didn't find us very clean, the service & location were only average and the rooms, sleep quality and value were poor. You also found the towels scratchy and the bed uncomfortable. Although we strive to maintain high standards for each of our guests comfort, it sounds as though we failed you completely. I would like to offer you a complete refund to compensate if you will please contact me (Lori Roberts) at the motel.

Reviewed October 16, 2012

The Sunset Motel has been re-done as a Retro motel but with fun, fresh, perky furnishings that brightens your mood. They also take care of their mountain biker guests with a bike wash in the parking lot. Brevard is a great little town with a huge emphasis on art and great food. The mountain bike trails at Dupont Forest are a blast. We can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: If you want to use the wi-fi, get a room close to the office.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 15, 2012

The owner has a really interesting idea/concept for the place that we can appreciate. It was reasonable priced, although I was surprised upon check in to be informed that there was no room cleaning during the day so we would have to come to the office to request clean towels if we wanted them or put our dirties outside. We were there two nights, so it also meant the bed didn't get made and the trash baskets weren't emptied... I considered that a negative. The room was okay but tiny, and some of the furnishings didn't really seem to fit well - perhaps picked up at a used furniture sale without consideration for that, so the tiny room seemed more cramped than it really should have. The bed was not good - way too soft. On the plus side, it is the only place really close to the main old part of town, which is really nice to walk, shop, nice restuarants etc. that is reasonably priced. Very very nice staff. Other places are B&Bs that are pricey or chain hotels that are not near the old downtown area. Has potential. We would stay here again, but room cleaning and a better bed would be an enormous improvement.

Room Tip: we had room 17 in the far back corner; i am told all of the single queen rooms are this size. it...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Nancy S
SunsetOwner, Owner at Sunset Motel, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2012

Thank you for your review! You will be glad to hear I just went to the fabulous furniture market in High Point NC and new furnishings will begin arriving later in the month. Some rooms, yours having been one of them, did not yet have new furniture. When you said we don't offer automatic daily cleaning service, you are right BUT we do offer it upon request. This is on a sign in the office and in the guest room brochure. Since I bought the motel in April of 2011, only 1 in every 100 guests makes this request. We have considered adding this service but, if we do, the room rates will have to be increased to cover the cost. Offering this only as an option is one of the ways we keep the rates as inexpensive as you mentioned. Come back! We are improving all the time and need the kind of honesty you provide to keep us headed in the right direction! Many thanks, Lori

Reviewed October 9, 2012

For the last 4 years I have participated in the Pisgah Mountain bike race and until this year I have been using my RV for lodging, this year however the RV was not available so I needed a place to stay, after calling Sunset and talking to the owner (Lori) I was set for the week.
Sunset Motel was one of the sponsors for the race and after each stage Lori was hosting a get together for the racers, this in combination with the friendly staff made for a good time.
The room had everything I needed, we where allowed to bring our bikes inside on a tarp (they had some to lend us) the room was clean and the bed was great.
Lori really wants her guests to enjoy the stay at the Sunset motel and she really went out of her way to make sure that I had everything I needed. During my stay my vehicle broke down and I needed to visit the garage during business hours, but since I was racing during those hours Lori offered to take care of that so I could focus on my race, how many other hotel would do stuff like that for the guests.
After talking with Lori it sounds like she have great plans for the motel, she has already in the last few years made big improvements and I believe there are more great things in the future.
So for my future bike trips to Brevard I will leave the RV at home and stay at the Sunset.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Morgan O
SunsetOwner, Owner at Sunset Motel, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2012

Wow. Thank you so much for your gracious review! We'll look forward to seeing you again. Lori

Reviewed October 3, 2012

This is an old fashioned motel. The room was basically OK, but the walls were paper thin, and the neighbors quite noisy, so we had a hard time getting to sleep. The office closes about 9PM, so there was nobody to complain to.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bern666
SunsetOwner, Owner at Sunset Motel, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2012

Thank you for reviewing The Sunset Motel. We like to know what our guests are experiencing in order to continue to improve. I am not sure where you were staying in our motel because the rooms are divided by cement-filled blocks but we are regretful you were bothered by other guests and felt you had no recourse. We take guest comfort very seriously and do not hesitate to intervene if someone complains about excessive noise. In the hopes you will consider us again if you return to Brevard, I'd like you to know we close our office between 10-10pm on weekdays and 11pm on weekends but there is a number on each room's phone & in the guestroom booklet to call for assistance. It's also on the front door of the office. Again, we thank you for your candor and for staying with us!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Brevard
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Brevard
#8 of 11 in Hendersonville
CedarWood Inn
CedarWood Inn
#2 of 11 in Hendersonville

Been to Sunset Motel? Share your experiences!