“Well worth your time”

Ranked #2 of 69 Restaurants in Brevard
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Located in a beautifully restored historic building...down a quiet alley in the heart of Downtown Brevard, The Square Root Restaurant is as well known for its architectural and artistic decor as it is for its fabulous food. Whether you're hoping to enjoy the ambiance of our indoor dining room, our locally crafted wood bar top, or the fresh breezes of our covered outdoor patio - there is room for everyone. Our atmosphere is inviting for romantic evenings, cocktails with friends, and family gatherings. We pride ourselves on serving locally roasted coffee from The Brown Bean, and we offer several local brews on tap and by the bottle. Menu choices include options to please the young and the old, the adventurous and the picky eaters, and anyone who enjoys delicious fresh food at reasonable prices. We also offer a full bar with extensive wine and cocktail choices.
Reviewed June 19, 2013

The Square Root is serving some of the best food in Brevard, and that's saying something special because the town has a number of good restaurants. The appetizers are very good and varied. I made a meal out of two appetizers one night. The regular menu is attractive, but the daily specials are worth checking out. The bar is very nice and attractive. It's a good place to get the evening started. One more thing - when I was there recently, bottles of wine were half priced on Monday and Tuesday.

There are newer reviews for The Square Root

Reviewed June 8, 2013

It somewhat pains me to write this review as I first heard of the Square Root when I met the owners on a hike a few years ago. They were very friendly folks and I promised them that I would try their restaurant the next time I was in Brevard. I did and it was very, very good. That was two years ago though.

This time, I came back and the food was average at best. I had a shrimp and grit cake as an appetizer and a hanger steak as my entree. For both dishes, the individual ingredients sound great, the blend sounds great (eg, "Cajun shrimp and smoked gouda grit cake with chorizo sausage"), but the overall product just didn't work. It tasted like the chef got to play with some new ingredients but didn't know what to do with them.

The service and atmosphere is still excellent.

Reviewed June 6, 2013

Brevard has a great range of places to dine if you take the time to explore a bit. The Square Root is a charming indoor and outdoor bar and cafe kind of place. It is in an alley in an old brick building that feels like a reclaimed upscale modern space. Enjoy the authentic but small downtown full of shops, galleries, antiques and a tiny movie theatre. Great for a fun day out destination closeby without going all the way to Asheville if you are coming down (really east) from the mountains from special places like Cashiers and Sapphire and Lake Toxaway. You can feel the college town here, see students with their parents, enjoy nice food with an upscale menu. Highly recommended. Tons of choices.

Reviewed June 3, 2013

I've never eaten their food here, actually. I've just been there several times to enjoy a few drinks on their patio, which they've always let us do when it's not crowded. Good service, and some nice local beers. Often there is live music.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

We had lunch here and we we not expecting much at first. The food turned out to be very good. The service was very good also. I will be back for more. They have a good menu and turn out really tasty food.