“The Most Amazing Week of My Life”

John C. Campbell Folk School
Ranked #1 of 10 things to do in Brasstown
More attraction details
Owner description: Located in the mountains of western North Carolina, the John C. Campbell Folk School offers weeklong and weekend courses in traditional craft, fine art, music, dance, cooking, gardening, nature studies, photography, storytelling and writing. Founded in 1925, the school is based on the Danish folk school model, and strives to provide experiences in hands-on learning and community life that are joyful and enlivening. Students live on campus and share family-style meals. Each day begins with early morning music and storytelling. Nature walks, tours of local artisans' studios, evening music, and dance programs are part of each week's schedule. A founding member of the Southern Highland Craft Guild, the school also operates a craft gallery that represents over 300 regional artists.
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“The Most Amazing Week of My Life”
Reviewed December 12, 2013

Nestled in the Appalachians, the John Campbell school provides adults an extraordinary chance to learn a variety of folk arts. I recently took Shaker basketmaking and broommaking from JoAnn Kelly Cotsos, a nationally recognized basketmaker who has even had one of her baskets displayed at the Smithsonian's Renwick museum in Washington DC. JoAnn navigated us through the construction of several beautiful baskets and brooms, which look far better than anything I could reasonably afford to buy. It was a weird feeling, as my fellow classmates and I became almost addicted to the basketmaking process, working late into the evening and early morning hours. At the end of the week, all of the classes exhibited their respective projects, and I was jealous of all of them. Beautifully crafted shaker tables, shaker boxes, and blacksmithed door latches, represent a small sample of the projects that the students would undoubtedly display with pride once they get home.

The lodging was simple, but clean and adequate (forget about TV's, radios and computers...at first I felt withdrawal from these "conveniences", but by the end of the week I came to appreciate the luxury of the simple quiet life at John Campbell). And speaking of life, the staff at John Campbell strives to provides a relaxing and memorable experience, through music, singalongs, presentations and shows. And then there are the delicious meals, served family style where you can meet others at the school.

If you are looking for a vacation where you are pampered in a spa, then this is definately NOT for you. But, if you are looking for a unique experience that will truly enrich your soul, John Campbell's is the perfect destination. I've already signed up for another course at John Campbell.

5 Thank 808leiei

Richmond, VA
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“A Wonderful, Magical Place”
Reviewed November 27, 2013

Recently I completed a week of classes at this amazing place. The offerings are truly unique. I took the jewelry class, "Wire Wrapping". My instructor was Judy Peppers, who is a gifted artist and a gem of a person (not to mention a great teacher!) I was completely new to wire wrapping and she was able to work with me to where I feel I have a good grasp of the basic techniques and I can move forward to creating my own wire wrapped jewelry components. Now, the school...what can I say, the experience outshone my expectations by a huge margin. Everything was above and beyond what the catalogue describes. Do get the catalogue, you will get the full description of the classes and be able to register on the website. The tuition may seem steep but you are getting so much more for your money. The food is outstanding; the accommodations are very comfortable. You can walk all over the campus (and I needed to, after 3 amazing meals every day!) If I could give this school 10 stars, I would. If you want to learn a new craft or want to improve your skills, you can't go wrong with this school.

5 Thank roseytheriveter
Monroe, GA
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 119 helpful votes
“Looks like a place I would spend a week!”
Reviewed November 19, 2013

Such craft work done at this place is super. I was very impressed with the environs and the products that they produced. Be sure and visit the craft store to see their handcraft. .

1 Thank jds754
Port Orange, Florida
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“A true "Life" experience”
Reviewed October 31, 2013

Would have never believed that so much could be learned in one weekend. The Teachers are masters at their crafts. The food was wonderful. We met so many people from all over the world. I chose a jewelry class, made an amazing bracelet, but after our student exhibit on last day, I would have been happy in any of the classes provided. This is a life changing place. I can't wait to go back.

Visited October 2013
2 Thank Golfhunter
Homosassa, Florida
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“If you like to learn something new on vacation, this is the place to go.”
Reviewed October 11, 2013

This was my third time at the Folk School for a week long arts and crafts class, and it's been wonderful every time. This time I stayed in their campground and was very pleased with the experience. The meals as usual were excellent, as was the class I took. If you loved summer camp as a child, you will love this place. It is magical!

Visited September 2013