“Exceptional Restaurant”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed October 29, 2012

In my opinion this restaurant should be considered one of the best in the region, and one that I would drive quite some distance (I live in the triangle) to get to. Good wine from the winery. You can buy a bottle to drink at the table, and it's priced from $10-$25 (same price from the winery). Many of the wines are very good and beat the prices and quality of many typical restaurants that don't have the luxury of having a winery. We had the chance to mingle with some of the staff, including Chef Starr, before their dinner service started. They are all wonderful people. The Chef's food is wonderful. I highly recommend all of the soupd that are on the menu - especially the seafood bisque. We had a number of seafood dishes and all were exceptional.

There are newer reviews for The Big Woods Restaurant

Reviewed July 13, 2012

My family loves simple food off the farm, so going here was a real treat. We came on a Thursday when the restaurant served family-style meals. Big steaming platters heaped with succotash, sugar snaps, mashed sweet potatoes, and creamy coleslaw with cherries were laid in front of us. The main course was fried catfish with the some of the lightest, crispiest breading I have ever tasted. When it comes to great food, this place gets it. All the courses were presented with light seasoning to bring out the natural flavors. The wine, of course, was delicious. I had a cabernet that tasted of oak and blackberries. The meal was finished with a decadent peach cobbler. Afterwards we went outside and enjoyed the vineyard. Fireflies provided the entertainment (accompanying the musical notes of a bluegrass band in the restaurant). The service was excellent. We will be back for sure!

Reviewed June 18, 2012

All of our visits to the restaurant have been great. We're happy to have this place for great food in our community. We're always proud to take guests; Neil and the staff are friendly, and the family history makes it warm and personal.

Reviewed May 8, 2012

I operate a B&B in Yadkinville and I highly recommend this to all my guests. Chef Starr is an amazing Chef. You have to try it if you have never eaten there. Great wine from Sander Ridge Vineyard. Use local products and have their own organic farm.

1  Thank VintageInnBandB
Reviewed December 22, 2011

The Big Woods Restaurant is a superb restaurant located within the Sanders Ridge Winery Building. The building resembles a mountain lodge and is constructed as post and beam construction.

The restaurant is competently managed by Chef Starr Johnson, the executive chef at Sanders Ridge Winery. His type of cuisine can best be called "New South," and her imagination, creativity, and culinary styles are reaping many a laudatory comment from visitors. In fact, folks just keep coming back.

We've now eaten at the Big Woods Restaurant on 4 different occasions and our experiences have been nothing but first rate all the way - and that's why we keep coming back!

Make it a point of visiting this gorgeous location, And check out my review of the Sanders Ridge Winery - which also includes photos of the place.

Bon appetit