“Weekend Trip to Boone”

Holiday Inn Express Boone
Ranked #12 of 18 Hotels in Boone
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed June 14, 2014

It was my son's birthday weekend and he wanted to go to Tweetsie Railroad, so after doing the research and discovering that most of the hotels were booked in Boone, I ended up making reservations here for a two room suite at about $250 a night for two nights. The hotel is easily located, near essential areas including a CVS and a Walgreens, and parking is plentiful. Check in was easy, quick, and efficient (which is essential when you have a child on the Autism Spectrum). The luggage cart I used was, per the norm, a poorly constructed pain to navigate which also had the added bonus of listing to the side--but that's typical. There are two elevators so we never had to wait very long, which is nice. We were given a choice of the fourth or fifth floor and as my son's favorite number is "5" we chose that. Our room was number 500 at the very end of the hallway. This was a nice suite--the floors, with the exception of the tiled bathroom, were wide plank dark hardwood. Immediately on entering the room the kitchenette is on your left and has a ample (really too much but I see the overall vibe they were going for and it works) cabinet space, granite counters, mini-fridge, microwave, nice metal high end barstools, and a cordless phone (this is the only phone--there isn't one by the bed which is odd). Just past the kitchen area is the living space with two club chairs, an ottoman, side table with lamp, round coffee table, sofa, fireplace, and television. All very clean, relatively comfortable, and well constructed--not saggy or worn looking at all. There is a door from here off to the balcony. From the living area you go through two double doors to the bedroom, which featured a king bed with wonderful pillows, white high thread count linens--but only a thin down alternative comforter. They had a blanket in the closet, but I never use those (bad experience with one at the Doubletree in Charleston SC--reeked of urine. It was disgusting--this one did not smell and I'm sure was clean, but the Doubletree scarred me). The room had another flat screen tv, a bench at the end of the bed, luggage rack--it was very well appointed. There was a door to the balcony from here as well overlooking the next door Lowe's, but with a great view of the mountains and the city lights (and my son loved seeing all the goings on in the garden center at Lowe's so it was a win-win). My on,y true complaint is that the locks on neither balcony door worked--of course you're on the fifth floor and only Spiderman can access the area, but still, door locks should always work. The bathroom was HUGE. Seriously. It had granite counters, tile floors, good water pressure. The only thing that made it seem not "high end" was the super small, cramped shower with the shower head way too close to the shower opening (no door, just a curtain). It was a little creepy. The huge tub, however, was awesome. The suite itself could use better lighting--there were the usual number of lamps but with the dark wood, dark furniture--some more lighting wouldn't hurt.
We used the pool twice while there and both times it was incredibly cold--it is obviously not a heated pool. I think that was poorly planned--but the pool was a nice size, the pool furniture was good quality. You do have to get your towels from the front desk, and can have several at a time. The breakfast was quite good! Check out was easy. The housekeeping staff are friendly and efficient.Overall, it was a great stay and I would absolutely stay here again.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank Janet B

Reviewed June 11, 2014

Stayed here while dropping off our son at ASU for the summer. The hotel looks brand new and the rooms are large, bright and very clean. We had a room with two queen beds and a balcony that was perfect for our family of 4. The breakfast was also good by hotel standards with pancakes, biscuits and gravy, eggs, sausage and bacon, oatmeal, cereals, etc. A great way to start the day! The location is also very convenient to ASU but also many restaurant and shopping outlets in the area. Check out Makoto's for dinner across the street!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Rich L
Reviewed June 7, 2014 via mobile

I can't rate this hotel High enough, brilliant, fantastic and amazing, staff couldn't do enough for you so friendly and helpful, the rooms were enormous and really comfortable, clean and beautifully done, we didn't want to leave it or the staff, thank you to all the staff there .

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank Tracey M
Reviewed May 28, 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights April. It is a very nice hotel, clean rooms, comfortable beds and the free breakfast was perfect. We took our kids with us (3 and 6 yrs old). Location is great. Minutes from downtown boone, blue ridge parkway and tweetsie railroad. We had a great time in Boone and the HGI was the perfect place to stay. I highly recommend this hotel. Every employee we encountered was very kind and helpful.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank ryan7515
Reviewed May 12, 2014

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for two nights this past week. We were with another family as well. We had rooms next to each other, smooth check in, quiet sleep - considering 3 bus loads of kids arrived to stay there. The breakfast was very good. There was a cool pancake maker in the breakfast area! (I've only ever seen waffle makers). The breakfast area was excellent, well maintained and kept stocked. I didn't really know what to expect from a Holiday Inn Express but it was just wonderful. We were there over graduation weekend, so we had two completely different rates for our stay - it balanced out to $150 per night....so that wasn't terrific but a few other hotels had already been booked up. I liked the location though it wasn't scenic. We stayed in a room with a balcony (and paid extra for the balcony) but unfortunately there weren't chairs out there so we didn't use it much.

Room Tip: We were happy that we were on the highest floor (5th) and facing towards the back of the property. T...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank valleylight
Reviewed May 12, 2014

My husband and I came in to see our daughter graduate with her Masters from ASU. We stayed here for 2 nights. This was not my first visit, nor my last at Holiday Inn Express in Boone. He and I truly enjoyed our stay with them. They made our stay very pleasant. A most stay at hotel for anyone looking for a very clean/friendly/enjoyable to lay their heads down.

Room Tip: We loved that our room had a balcony. We sat each night out on it and enjoyed the mountain view and...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Shryl P
Reviewed May 3, 2014

This is right on the main drag in Boone. Close to everything food-wise and shopping-wise. We were surprised that there was no fridge in the room or microwave. We are used to these things from frequent stays at Hampton Inns, but we had a nice sized, clean room, with a large bathroom and a room balcony. Pleasant and helpful staff person at check-in. Would recommend that you get a back room rather than one facing US321 since there was lots of traffic noise, even on the 3rd floor. We read about complaints about the beds but we had no issues. We would stay here again.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Oburgtravler
Also consider these accommodations in or near Boone
LaQuinta Inn & Suites Boone
Holiday Inn Express Blowing Rock South
Courtyard Boone
Courtyard Boone
#6 of 18 in Boone

Been to Holiday Inn Express Boone? Share your experiences!