“Surprisingly good, clean, relatively good value”

Ranked #11 of 18 Hotels in Boone
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed February 18, 2014

My wife and I have stayed at most of the chain hotels in the Boone area visiting our son at App State. The location is pretty convenient to the university, downtown, Blowing Rock, and the Appalachian Ski Resort. The room was very clean and the complimentary breakfast was much better than most of the light continentals served in other hotels. Free wi-fi too!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Boone

Reviewed January 8, 2014

Went to the hotel for New Years Eve 2013, and had a lovely stay. I went with my husband and the beds were very comfortable and the room was spacious. The room was clean and the front desk people were very nice. It was only 12 miles from Sugar Mountain, so it was convenient to go snowboarding in the morning. I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 6, 2014

The hotel iteself is good. The rooms are large and the bathroom is large. The beds are very lumpy and the pillows are not that great. I had seen this on reviews before staying but I thought it couldn't be that bad.. I got very little sleep due to the bed hurting my back. I had a room near the end of the hall so the room was very quite. We didn't have breakfast. I stayed on a weekend and they quit serving at 9:30 which I thought was a little early. Overall the price was pretty good but I was glad I only stayed one night.

Room Tip: I stayed on the 2nd floor near the end of the hall it was very quite.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Olga M, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Boone, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2014

Dear 55butterfly,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay at our hotel. I am very happy to hear that you liked our hotel and found our rooms to be spacious and quiet. I am very sorry if the beds and pillows in your room were not comfortable. I would greatly appreciate if you could contact me at olga@expressboone.com with the information about your room number so that we can appropriately address this issue. Once again, I apologize for any discomfort and inconvenience you might have experienced during your stay.

Reviewed January 3, 2014

My family and I recently spent two nights here. We checked in at 6:30 pm and went to our rooms one of which had not been cleaned. The rooms were dark even with all the lights on. The trash cans in front of the hotel and in the breakfast area were overflowing with garbage. One of our rooms was never cleaned or serviced on the second day of our stay. At breakfast on one morning the only fruit offered was bananas. On the second morning they had no fruit and except for instant oatmeal no other healthy food options. This hotel was a poor value.

Dear PDS81,

Thank you very much for your candid review. I would like to offer a sincere apology for the issues you experienced during your stay. I am very sorry you received service that was unacceptable. I would like to assure you that your comments are extremely important to us. We will most certainly use your feedback to address the shortcomings and make sure similar situations are avoided in the future. Thank you again for your review.

Reviewed January 2, 2014

Stayed at this hotel with my wife over the Christmas vacation period to go skiing nearby at Sugar.
The room was clean, it even had a balcony, which I really liked, and the standard Holiday Inn Express amenities. I do think that their service is very good, the night guy: Chris, helped me out with a problem I was having with the IHG reward points and was polite and folksy with everyone that came to the counter. Made me feel at home and taken care of.
The only minus was the heater control, they have the older kind where you set a type on the window unit, I like the thermostat with the temperature control better, but altogether this was an excellent hotel that I'll stay at every time I visit Boone.

Room Tip: Ask for the balcony rooms, not much of a view or very big, but they're nice to walk out on.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 1, 2014

This hotel was definitely one of the better ones I've visited. It is quiet with little disturbance from traffic and it has spacious rooms. The bathrooms especially are large and are very modern. The hotel is clean and well-maintained. The breakfast served every morning was just right, with a variety of protein and vitamins to start the day. Not to mention their cinnamon buns! The beds are a little lumpy, but other than that they were comfortable.

Room Tip: The top floor rooms, especially the ones with balconies, tend to provide great views!
Reviewed December 27, 2013

We've stayed here before and found it acceptable. However, last week we encountered bed linens that were so pilled, they were uncomfortable. We requested new linens - and we received them, but they were only moderately better than the previous linens. The pillows were the lumpiest I had ever seen -- very much past their "expiration" date. Very small, low, low quality bath towels and they only gave us 3. The rooms and bedding need some updating. They were updating the first floor below with new carpet, etc. But they should not be ignoring the bedding for the other rooms. The breakfast has also been reduced. This will probably be our last stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Olga M, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Boone, responded to this reviewResponded December 30, 2013

Dear NorthCarolinaMolly,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a candid review. I am very disappointed to hear about your recent experience. I would like to offer a sincere apology if we fell below your expectations. I would like to assure you that we care a lot about our guests’ comfort and that the issues you mentioned will certainly be looked into. Once again, I am very sorry your stay was not 100% satisfactory. I hope that we get another chance to welcome you as our guest in the future.