“ecellent hotel in a beautiful place”

Ranked #10 of 18 Hotels in Boone
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 14, 2013

This is an excellent hotel in a beautiful location. The people are pleasant and helpful from start to finish. The room was without any problem. The ice machine was out on our floor, but the next floor was okay. The breakfast was great. My only comment would be that this place is a little pricey.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 8, 2013

We had a couple of free days and decided to spend them in the Boone area. Unfortunately heavy rain and just stayed one night. But the HIE was very nice, convenient to restaurants, etc. Our room was clean and I really liked the arrangement of the bathroom. Hotel was very quiet. Boone is a lovely place to visit and we will plan on going back soon. We did not have a microwave and refrigerator in our room. Missed that but did not ask if we could change rooms. We had a balcony but no chairs were provided which we thought was strange. I would definitely want to stay on the side where you can see the town.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 2, 2013

The Wi-Fi is slow, the small room refrigerator sat on the carpet floor and its door drags on the carpet with opening or closing it. there was no office type chair at the work table, there was instead a very creaky uncomfortable wooden straight back chair with a thinly padded seat. the wood table and chair needed refinishing/replacement. reserved a room with a balcony because the Boone area has nice views, however, the balcony was narrow and small, and it had no chairs or table, and the view was only of a few trees between the hotel and other large buildings nearby. our room had an 'easy' chair but no ottoman, noisy a/c fan, a smallish room (king). Room did have a second lavatory outside the bathroom and a very good showerhead, but considering everything, it was way too expensive at $170. We really did expect a lot more.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Olga M, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Boone, responded to this reviewResponded July 13, 2013

Dear BigTXN,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our property. I was sorry to hear that your overall experience was not 100% enjoyable. I would like to sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you might have experienced during your stay. We are currently in the process of renovating the hotel so most of the issues with the room furnishings will be addressed during this process. I can also recommend requesting the front side of the building if you are looking for a room with a nice view of Boone. All of our standard King rooms with balconies, however, are located on the back side of the building. This room type would be better suited for a guest who prefers a quiet side. Once again, I would like to apologize and thank you for taking the time to write to us as we believe we can only improve by listening to our guests’ comments.

Olga Monfiston
Guest Services Manager

Reviewed June 29, 2013

I like to stay at the Hampton Inn for one reason: I've never had a bad experience there.

But on my most-recent trip, I stayed at Holiday Inn Express because the local Hampton Inns were booked solid, and they look good from the outside. Once inside, you start noticing the little differences.

Holiday Inn Express runs much like a Hampton Inn as they have a free breakfast bar and coffee.

But at the Boone, NC location just this past week, I experienced the following...
a) The cart used to move luggage to our rooms literally came apart in my hands as I tried to navigate the entryway. The handle lifted completely off the cart base, with no way to reattach it without first unloading the cart. Problem? Missing retainer screws.

b) Upon arrival at the third floor rooms, there were dirty bed linens on the large bench outside the elevator. And they remained there until I spoke with the Front Desk Attendant. To his credit, they were removed posthaste.

c) A half hour later, my elderly sister called me to her room with a grimace on her face. Her room had cobwebs all along the ceiling. Another call to the Front Desk and they were removed by a housekeeper.

d) We stayed two days to tour the area. Breakfast on the first morning was stellar! Fresh food. Sausages that were actually tasty. Only the coffee was a bit lacking as the dispensers were a bit empty.

e) Breakfast on the second day was horrible! There were no eggs. The kitchen staff was involved in putting away supplies. Even after telling them they were out of eggs, it took another 25 minutes before any became available.

f) Upon checking out, the luggage cart this time stayed together -- but was more noisy than a 1920s jalopy! I mean it rattled enough to wake the dead. I thought the wheels were going to fall off.

I put ALL of the above issues to piss-poor Management.
But I have experienced similar issues at every Holiday Inn Express that I've stayed at.

Room Tip: Note that the rooms at the end of the hall are the farthest away from the elevators -- where the Ice...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank UncleGuy

Dear UncleGuy,

Thank you very much for your comprehensive review. I would like to apologize for the issues you have experienced during your recent stay at our hotel. I would like to assure you that we take our guests’ comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable, clean, and friendly accommodations. I hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be. I trust we can regain your confidence in the Holiday Inn Express brand and in our hotel in particular.

Olga Monfiston
Guest Services Manager

Reviewed June 28, 2013

What a great hotel! The front desk staff are super friendly and greet you every time you enter or leave the hotel. Our suite was fantastic, very spacious, lots of comfy chairs and a sofa bed, two TVs, a whirlpool tub, and a balcony with a view of the mountains that envelop this lovely community. The king size bed was the most comfortable of our vacation. It is obvious that this property is well maintained which lends to its continued great ratings. The location is great as Tweetsie Railroad, the Blue Ridge Parkway, and Boone are a short drive and there are plenty of nearby restaurants.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 28, 2013

My daughter has just spent the last four years at Appalachian State and I have stayed at this hotel more times than I can count. It has always been a great experience! The rooms are clean and comfortable. The front desk employees are always helpful and friendly. I do hope to see carbon monoxide detectors installed in the rooms on my next visit. Just for everyone's peace of mind. Thanks!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony and a refrigerator.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Yes, a little late reviewing, but my husband and I stayed here in October of 2012. It was a short weekend getaway. I went to college at ASU, so I know the town well. This time of year is one of the prettiest and it didn't disappoint this year! Beautiful fall colors on the the trees. I also purposely picked a weekend where the students were on fall break and no football game, as it can get really congested during the weekends. Hotel was spacious, and accommodating. Big bathroom and bed ( we had the standard king room). Continental breakfast didn't disappoint either- lots to choose from! It is also conveniently located between Boone, Blowing Rock, and Banner Elk. Right across the street is a shopping center with a couple of restaurants and shopping. We will definitely book here again!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Boone
LaQuinta Inn & Suites Boone
1 mi away
Courtyard Boone
Courtyard Boone
#5 of 18 in Boone

Been to Holiday Inn Express Boone? Share your experiences!