“Overall, an excellent hotel”

Ranked #11 of 18 Hotels in Boone
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed April 1, 2013

We stayed here during the last week of March. We were there to get some last minute skiing in for the season. The hotel is in an excellent location in Boone. Right in the heart of all the restaurants and stores. It is VERY close to the App State campus as well. It took us about 15-20 minutes to get to Sugar Mountain to ski. There are only a couple run down options over near Banner Elk, so we opted to stay here. Plus all of the restaurants are open until 11-12 each night, so we could grab a bite nice and late. We skied twilight one night and we had time to eat. The problem is everything near the large ski resorts closes early. Boone is a great little town and the downtown area is nice to walk around too.

The hotel was immaculate inside and out, from the lobby to the room and bathroom. The front desk staff was very attentive and helpful. If you are in Boone, stay here!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed March 25, 2013

The hotel seemed fine when we checked in; halls were clean and the room looked clean at first.
I went into the bathroom and a used cake of soap was laying on the counter. We had to move the chair next to the bed in order to have enough room to get by and there was a box cutter under the chair. Went out on the balcony and there was a partial bottle of wine and a plastic cup with cigarette butts. It's hard to believe that this room was cleaned very well. The irony is that there is a sign sitting beside the TV that states the housekeeping staff works very hard to clean the room and a tip would be appreciated. No way would we leave a tip for this kind of service!
I hate to think what would happen if a child got hold of the box cutter.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank barbab
Olga M, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Boone, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2013

Dear barbab,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. I would like to offer a sincere apology for the level of cleanliness in your room and for the inconvenience it might have caused you. We take our guests’ feedback seriously and I wanted to assure you that your comments will be addressed with the housekeeping department to make sure similar issues can be avoided in the future. We appreciate your candid feedback and welcome any opportunity to improve. Once again, I apologize for the unacceptable cleanliness issues and hope you can give us another chance to show you how great our hotel is.

Olga Monfiston

Reviewed March 18, 2013

We mostly stay at this property everywhere we go because of not only the staff, but also the cleanliness of the hotel, the food, but most of all, the value for what you pay. The staff is always helpful and friendly, very much about making sure the customer is taken care of. The room was very well put together (we had a suite), it had a microwave, a mini fridge, king bed with a pull out couch, and a whirlpool jacuzzi tub. It was spacious enough for me and my husband and our teen boys. The breakfast was good... one of the reasons we stay with them. Stocked with eggs, pancakes, variety of breads, fruit, etc. I would definitely not only stay at this hotel again, which we will in the near future, but also would highly recommend it!

Room Tip: We had a room on the south side of the hotel towards the back and it was very quiet.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 12, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights a couple of weekends ago. The rooms are very nice, well appointed and clean. The beds and the linens are clean and comfy. The staff was very helpful, the front desk seems eager to be of service. Their breakfast was well stocked and tasted fresh with eggs, pancakes, sausage, breads, cereal, oatmeal, yogurt and fruit items. The lobby and the breakfast area is very well decorated with beautiful "mountain" type fixtures. I would certainly stay here again without question!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank lslsbl12
Reviewed March 8, 2013

I stayed in a King Standard Handicapped room and was very pleased. The bed was very comfortable, nice sheets and a jacuzzi tub, microwave and mini fridge for $74.00 a night !
I stayed here for two nights at the same price as one night at the Marriot. I have also had to change rooms at the last three 250.00 a night hotels I have stayed, so I do not have low expectations. The staff was very nice and I will definately be back.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank DOYSTERBAR
Reviewed March 5, 2013

This is the 3rd time we stayed here over last 3 years. First time was really nice, second time a little bad and this time is the last time we are staying here since hotel needs renovation and they are not spending the money to do it. Note: This is not a cheap hotel.

Carpets look dirty everywhere. Obviously they chose dark colors to hide the dirt.
Carpets in our room were especially dirty and stuff like liquids and crap had been dropped but never cleaned up.

Coffee maker in our room was filthy. I will leave it at that.

Mattresses badly need to be replaced. We were in a room with 2 queen beds. Both mattresses were caving in the middle and the pillows need to be replaced ASAP.

Bathroom was clean but shower was a mess. It was leaking from all corners and water would shoot out the bottom part even when you had the switch turned on for the shower head.

Only good part about this hotel is their breakfast which was very good and it is included in the price.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the higher floors facing the mountains
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank bhargavipl
Olga M, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Boone, responded to this reviewResponded March 16, 2013

Dear bhargavipl,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We work hard to ensure that our facilities and service are superior and we strive to be the best Holiday Inn Express around. I apologize if we fell below your expectations. I would like to assure you that we are currently undergoing a big-scale hotel renovation. We have recently completed redesigning all of the public areas, which included replacing the carpet and wallpaper in the lobby, business center, meeting space, and all of the hallways. We are planning to make major changes to our sleeping rooms by putting the new carpet, changing the wallpaper, updating the curtains and furniture in the room. Our guests’ satisfaction is the cornerstone of everything that we do and we hope that these and other small improvements will help enhance our guests’ experience. I would greatly appreciate if you could contact me at olga@expressboone.com so we can obtain additional details regarding your stay. The items that you have mentioned in regards to cleanliness and quality of the room will be addressed with both the Housekeeping and Maintenance Managers. I would like to sincerely apologize that your stay was not 100% satisfactory. I hope that we get the opportunity to regain your trust in our hotel and show you some of our improvements on your next trip.

Olga Monfiston
Guest Services Manager

Reviewed March 2, 2013

I spent a night at the HI Express in Boone for work and really enjoyed my stay. The staff was very friendly and attentive. The beds were comfortable and everything appeared clean. While the hotel is not within walking distance of much, it is in a great location with a short drive to everything in both Boone and Blowing Rock.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank kweazil
Also consider these accommodations in or near Boone
LaQuinta Inn & Suites Boone
1 mi away
Courtyard Boone
Courtyard Boone
#5 of 18 in Boone

Been to Holiday Inn Express Boone? Share your experiences!