“Be scared to stay here”
Review of Greene's Motel

Greene's Motel
Ranked #15 of 18 Hotels in Boone
Reviewed September 28, 2013

My family has stayed here several times over the last 10 years while going to Tweetsie railroad. This stay, however, was a poor experience. We will not return. First, the check in clerk would not honor the Internet rate that I reserved with Magnuson hotels many months ago (their Internet booking system) - increasing the rate. Secondly, My non-smoking room clearly had a history of being a smoking room in the past judging by the smell. The toilet would not flush correctly, nor would the bathroom fan run..adding to my irritation. To top it off, as my family went to close and lock the door- the upper lock system( the latch system for added security) had clearly been sawed off with ? A hack saw?. The only secondary security was a metal loop that they had screwed into the door frame to place over the door knob. I was very concerned (terrified), but my husband told me to just pray hard and we will leave soon ...as the local hotels were booked due to a busy ASU weekend. In the morning, we packed up to leave and then noted that several doors had "notices" from the government that illegal drug-making labs had been seized in those rooms and harmful chemicals may be still in present. Please, please, trip advisor- warn people that this is not a safe hotel.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Travelingmom1215
There are newer reviews for Greene's Motel

Reviewed September 4, 2013

We were touring the Blue Ridge Parkway on Labor Day weekend and ended up in Boone as it started getting late. We rode past the hotel and it looked decent from the road, so we called and got a King Room without any reservation. As stated by many others, this is not a new place, but it was very clean, the room was spacious, and the staff was friendly. They even let me park our motorcycle under the awning when it looked like it would rain. The hotel is centrally located and we found a great restaurant (The Peddler Steak House) just down the road. There are no frills at this place, but it is a clean room at a great rate( 1/2 to 1/3 of other places in the area). We will definately stay here again and have already recommended it to friends.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ThatCouple
Reviewed August 21, 2013

I was not sure what I would find after reading some of the reviews. I was surprised how clean and neat the room was. The location was great. I would definitely stay there again. Mall, Food Lion, and Walmart was right down the street.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Linda G
Reviewed July 31, 2013

I stumbled upon Greene's one football weekend when all other places in Boone were booked. Have stayed there every home game weekend for two seasons since, and like this trip, when visiting my son at Appalachian State University. One of the best locations in town for access to shopping, restaurants, and ASU. Set well back from the main highway through Boone, is also quiet, with great views of the mountains across the valley. This is a 50's style motor lodge, so somewhat worn around the edges, but every room so far has been clean and generally everything works. Office staff and manager are friendly and helpful, checking in and out is a breeze, and requests are taken care of quickly. A good value for the budget traveler, as the rates are far less than most other places in town.

Room Tip: To be sure of having internet service, book as close to the front office as you can.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Stayed for two nights. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Rooms were clean and comfortable. Quiet location. I would definitely stay there again. Reasonable rates. Plenty of nearby restaurants and grocery stores. Minutes from Blowing Rock.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Stayed at Greene's Motel the weekend of the App State - Wofford game. Our room was not very clean, box springs on beds needs cleaning, furniture is worn out, mis-matched, bathroom not clean, shower has mold, shower curtain dirty and tile grout is missing. Basically a very low budget motel. Not a quaint mom & pop motel like you find in the mountains that is clean & tidy. I wouldn't stay here for more than one or two nights and then only if there is nothing else available. On non-football weekends there are lots of other alternatives. Location is excellent, the room price is low, but that's about it. Like I said in the title, you get what you are willing to pay for at Greene's Motel.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank SCTravelForFun
Reviewed October 7, 2012

At the last minute, we decided to come to Boone for the weekend. Everything else was booked except this hotel ($76/night Fri and Sat, $60 Thu), the Red Carpet Inn (more, but I don't remember how much) and the Holiday Inn Express (for $176/night). I just couldn't bring myself self to pay $176 for a bed and bathroom so I looked at the reviews. They all said the place was clean and that's our main criteria so I decided to take a chance on it.

On Wed evening I booked for Fri and Sat with their online reservation system and got an immediate email confirmation email. Then I talked my husband into heading up Thu after work and I was able to modify my reservation online Thu morning. Unfortunately, I forgot to finalize it and when I went to print out my confirmation just before leaving, I couldn’t find the new confirmation email. I called and they said they had a room available and they’d add it to our reservation. We arrived after 10 so we had to go to a window counter outside which is a good safety feature for their staff. Check in was no problem. What little interaction we had with the staff was pleasant. Check out was a snap. We just handed them the key.

This is a typical 50’s style motor lodge with exterior room access by a real key. Our room was on the second floor in the middle of the building in the back. We didn't go out there but the room had a balcony overlooking the main highway and some tree covered hills beyond that. The motel is set back from the road quite a bit so there wasn't a lot of road noise.

Our room was non-smoking and it smelled just a little like my grandma's old house when we walked in the room but no hint of smoke and we didn't notice anything after being in the room a few minutes. The room was big, had plenty of drawer space, an iron and ironing board, hairdryer, small fridge and a microwave and I had 4 green bars of signal strength on their wireless network. The TV was a 20" standard screen but they do have cable with HBO so my husband was still able to drive me crazy changing channels every 10 min. The towels are thin and lightweight but they work and there was plenty of hot water. There was really high water pressure in the shower. That's a negative in my mind because I think we should all be conserving water but my husband loved it.

Note: there is NO coffee maker and, while they do provide bars of soap, they don't provide shampoo. I thought they forgot the shampoo the first day but we didn't get any the next day either.

The toilet flap wasn’t closing after flushing so the toilet kept running until we lifted the lid and closed it. I called the front desk before we headed out in the morning and it was fixed when we got back. Other reviews commented about weeds and trees growing out of the closed down pool so I looked for it. They have a green tarp over it now.

If your hotel stay defines your vacation, this probably isn't the place for you but I would have no hesitation about staying here again. The location was convenient with plenty of places to eat nearby. Our room was clean and quiet, we slept well, the pillows weren't lumpy, the TV and internet worked and we saved over $300 (with tax) on our three night stay. That will buy a lot of coffee and breakfast.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple