“Always a Palatable Pleasure!!”
Review of Joy Bistro

Joy Bistro
Ranked #17 of 153 Restaurants in Boone
Cuisines: American, French, Italian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed December 4, 2011

I don't usually review a restaurant twice, but Joy Bistro in Boone deserves it! Generally, my husband and I order two different entrees, and taste each, but last night, we both were drawn in by the description of the night's feature, Black Bass. OMG, to die for. Chef/Owner Melanie Claude can sometimes even outdo herself and this was an example of perfectly prepared seafood with delicious vegetable accompaniment. The entree was beautifully plated and I can still, in my mind, savor the flavors presented. Backtracking, we had already planned our appetizer, but were again, drawn in by the server's description of the night's appetizer feature, Vietnamese Spring Rolls. So, light, colorful and delicious. Another perfect hit! As always, service was impeccible and the atmosphere very calming and relaxing. This restaurant remains our all time favorite in the Boone/Blowing Rock area and we have tried to visit all restaurants in the area. We continue to return to the Bistro.

1  Thank NCAlice

Reviewed October 4, 2011

Ate here on a Sunday night with spouse, daughter (her birthday) and her spouse. There were but 3 tables occupied while we were in the restaurant. The service was excellent, with a quick, attentive, and friendly waitress with a good sense of humor. If there were more customers would the service have been so efficient? The food was good but not gourmet. I had trout – it was overly smothered in too creamy a sauce for my liking so I wiped it off and the fish was “good”. Son-in-law had an ocean fish and according to the wait person “like snapper and caught sustainably off the US east, or the Gulf coast” (that was after I asked where it came from); he very much liked it. Daughter had a chicken dish and liked it, and spouse had a shrimp/pasta dish that she was not enthused about; apparently not much shrimp, lots of pasta. The two women had chocolate deserts and were very, very impressed and full of compliments. This is not an inexpensive restaurant - $180 for 4 with tip, tax and 2 glasses of wine. I am still trying to decide if it was worth that much. As stated – it was good, but not “wow that was one of the best meals I have ever had” good. Many of the other reviews are very superlative – I cannot be that enthused, but I would most likely eat here again if in Boone on a special occasio

2  Thank scscientist
Reviewed September 6, 2011

Going to keep saying...Joy Bistro is consistently delicious. Whatever you order, it should be wonderful!! Great nightly features with great service. Small and intimate. You'll want to try and return, I promise.

Reviewed August 20, 2011

My wife and I dine and felt our meal was overall average at best. My crabcakes were very bready. They serve 3 crab cakes. I could have been eating flourer biskets in that so little crab was in the cakes. The dill sause was good. My wife had the firecracker shrimp. The fircracker sause was excellent, however the shimp were hard and chewy.
My entre was the duck (requested medium rare. It came rare and was tough and most difficult to cut. I had read great reviews on the duck and perhaps this was an off night. My wife had trout which was very good. Service was friendly. I would have to read several more excellent reviews before I would consider returning. When you spend over $100, you want better than average.

4  Thank Samuel999
Reviewed August 15, 2011

Things started off badly as we waited about 25 minutes for our coctails to be delivered to the table. But then it got better. The beef on the bruschetta appetizer was warm and buttery soft and tender. My entree was "Black & Bleu", a tasty mixture of chicken, shrimp and sausage over pasta in a creamy gorgonzola sauce. My wife's meal was even better: perfectly cooked halibut with huge tender flaky flesh. The location is horrendous, but they overcome this setback with a diverse and well-executed menu. Our server was very friendly, and explained the cocktail delay as a sudden deluge of orders that hit the bartender. I dunno, it wasn't crowded, but I'll accept that and gladly try again another time.

2  Thank tqmbill