“Party Bar”

Parthenon Cafe Bar & Grill
San Juan, Puerto Rico
“Party Bar”
Reviewed December 23, 2012

Just alot of kids hanging out and getting drunk. The food was not very good. The place looks run down and the prices are to high.

• Visited December 2012

Boone, North Carolina, United States
“Beat place in town”
Reviewed July 12, 2012 via mobile

This is the best place to chill and enjoy a beer or go with all your friends for dinner this place is perfect for you.

banner elk
“not my kind of place”
Reviewed March 13, 2012

closed in. the food wasn't very good. won't be back

Alaska
“Don't be fooled by the appearance”
Reviewed April 16, 2010

Well, I'll be honest, when I first looked at the Parthenon, I was skeptical about how good this food really could be. It's a bit run-down on the outside and there is a smoking area that you have to walk through in order to get to the non-smoking part of the restaurant. It should also be mentioned that this restaurant is on 'Greek Row', which is known for housing large, extremely drunk groups of students in either sororities and/or fraternities. I say this because it's really a crap shoot in regards to how quiet this place will be. Bottom line: if you want a quiet place, I would not bank on the Parthenon because, while it can be completely dead sometimes, if you are planning on eating there at a respectable time of day, chances are you'll have a whole bunch of rowdy college students accompanying you. That said, if you ambiance, this is the place for you.

Ok, so another thing worth mentioning is that this is an extremely chill place. You don't have to wait in line to sit down-if you see an open table, just walk in and sit there. The waitresses (I've never seen any waiters here) will see you soon enough. If the place is completely packed, then I recommend going up to the 'pay desk' inside the non-smoking section and requesting a table there so they'll know you're there. Once you're seated, the waitresses are generally very prompt with asking you what you want to drink and if you have made your order yet. In general, the service is prompt and you shouldn't have to wait more than ten minutes for your meal-if you do, just mention something to the owner and he'll make SURE that you get the best service in the joint for the entire rest of the time you're there (he's good that way).

Now on to the food (I personally don't drink, so I can't really say whether or not the beer is any good, but I'm assuming that it probably isn't the highest grade stuff out there since you can actually pay for it without having to shell out over $10 a glass. Aside from beer, they have the typical assortment of fountain drinks and water.) Well, I've been pretty constant with what I've ordered, namely a plain gyro. Having been there four times over the course of a year, I can safely say that their gyros are consistently delicious. For $6.50, you get a nice hot 6 inch pita absolutely stuffed to the brim with the meat of your choosing along with ranch dressing (at least that's what I think it is) and some lettuce. The meat has always been very tender and juicy for me and I think it's safe to say that this place has the best gyros that I've ever had, and that includes from fairly high-ranked restaurants where you have to pay almost three times as much for the food. The ranch dressing has a soupy consistency and really adds to the overall flavor of the gyro and the lettuce blends effectively in with the entire mix. Now, they have sides here, but I'll be honest; they weren't anything special to me-they were good, but nothing at all like the gyros, which leaves just the desserts. All I have to say is WOW. This place has all of the typical Greek desserts that you'll find at other restaurants, however, the standout to me is easily the baklava cheesecake. I really have no words to describe this apart from 'out of this world'. And the price is amazing as well. For a portion that would normally cost roughly $6 at any other restaurant, you can get this delicacy for only $2.99! Yeah, I was blown away too.

In short, the place is a bit run down and certainly has that college town feel to it (don't plan on wearing your Sunday best here-you'll only be laughed at), but for the price, you can't get better food. I would highly recommend this to anyone visiting Boone on a budget, who still wants to get some good food. However, if you are a 'fancy-pants' diner, look somewhere else-your complaining will only bother the rest of the customers enjoying themselves there.