“BYOB and Great Ravioli!”
Review of Vidalia

Vidalia
Ranked #6 of 153 Restaurants in Boone
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Upscale casual dining specializing in creative American cuisine focusing on local/regional cuisine and products. Extensive wine and specialty beer lists including mixed beverages.
Reviewed July 30, 2014

We stopped at the Banner Elk winery and bought a great bottle that we took to dinner. With the wine, we had the Vidalia salad, the ravioli, a side of collard greens and the salmon special. The salad was pretty good...the onion rings that were on the salad were excellent! The salmon, which was ordered well done, came out undercooked, but was promptly fixed to our liking. The ravioli was really tasty as were the collard greens. All in all, it was a good dining experience and definitely worth a visit when in Boone.

Reviewed July 26, 2014

We had an early reservation a few nights ago for dinner before a concert, we had heard good things so we were anxious to try it. The menu is interesting with a lot of choices. Our party of 3 started with appetizers of salads. My husband and friend loved the heirloom tomato salad with goat cheese, I had the Bibb Caesar. It was fine until I bit into a small slice of lemon. Wow was not expecting that. Needless to say I spit It out right away then found 2 more vey small pieces. This salad was suppose to come with Ashe county Romano cheese. I gave my husband the small sliver on my place and then noticed it was the only piece. I asked the waitress to bring more and she did. Two of us had the NC oat crusted trout. It was the blandest dish ever. The menu said it was served with brown butter sauce but we did not notice any. My husband had the wild caught salmon. He asked for the sauces on the side and I was glad he did. My friend and I each used the sauces for the bland trout. I might add that his piece of salmon was only about 5 ounces. The only sides on the plates that were of a decent size were the cornbread and rice. The vegetables were skimpy 3 small pieces of carrots and a piece of cauliflower with the trout.

We had a nice bottle of Patz & Hall wine but the wine glasses were those bowl shaped glasses without stems. Hard to pick up or hold. Our waitress spoke so softly and quickly we had to ask her to repeat almost everything she said.

We were never asked if we wanted dessert and had to ask what the choices were. We shared cinnamon donuts. We asked for the coulis on the side but it wasn't. They were very tasty.

We do want to return even though we were not pleased with the entrees we chose. The burger seems to be the best choice. It is served with what looks like amazing onion rings. You can also get them as an appetizer. We saw them piled high on a plate and they looked delicious. You can also bring your own wine for a nominal corkage charge of $15.00 per bottle. The only problem is you have to deal with those glasses.

Reviewed July 23, 2014

I liked the combination of local dishes prepared with a chef's touch. The sweet potato gnocchi was delicious and the beet ravioli was filled with creamy fresh cheese and topped with sliced green apple.. Add a bottle of Prosecco and a chocolate torte and we had a special dinner for around $100.

Reviewed July 22, 2014

We had heard so much about Vidalia I was excited to finally go there with friends for dinner. The place is small, 10 tables, so I would recommend reservations. It's nicely decorated with very cool art on the wall and has an upscale atmosphere. But, it is noisy too. My hubby and I found the chairs to be very uncomfortable and would have asked to move to a booth but they were full on a Monday night. It seemed everyone was having their chicken and waffles and our friends had highly recommended it and the pecan and gorgonzola cheese ravioli. I decided on the special, pan seared salmon with a corn succotash with country ham and micro greens. The husbands got the special, a venison and pork bacon wrapped meat loaf with little potato pancakes. My girlfriend got the crab cakes with stone ground grits and veggies with pickled sweet peppers and faux caviar. Our waitress was very attentive until the latter part of the meal. We ordered the onion rings and white truffle french fries with shaved parmesan for appetizers. The onion rings were delicious and were served with a creole fry sauce. They were stacked on top of each other in a tower and there were enough (6) for us all to have some. At $7 this was a good appetizer. The fancy little french fries came and the little basket they were in was about 4"x6"" and 4 inches deep. It looked like a little fry basket. They were small cut fries and at the top there was a little cheese and they had a good seasoning but for $10 I would not order them again. My salmon came with a lot of really good veggies, fresh corn, peppers, onions and there was one piece of country ham, about the size of a quarter, and that was it. The salmon piece was about 4" square for $22. I was disappointed in the salmon serving size. My girlfriend got the crab cakes (2) and I tasted them. Not very crabby and about 2" round, $22. The grits were good and creamy but we were disappointed again with the serving size of the crab cakes. The faux caviar was just a plate decoration of little red dots I guess and we found out it was hot sauce that they drop in boiling water. The men got the meat loaf special and this time the portion size was large. It looked very dry but when I tasted it I found it was not. They enjoyed it but there was no bacon wrapping. The potato cakes were good and they both said they would order it again. Both men brought half of their dinner home. We were not offered any bread or crackers. Overall it was a good dinner. The crab cake and salmon portions were teeny and the meat loaf too large. Nothing spectacular but we will probably go back and try those chicken and waffles and give it another try.

Reviewed July 20, 2014

The food at Vidalia is delicious -- interesting arrangements and combinations, very expertly prepared. The service is very attentive and helpful. BUT the place is NOISY!!! It's a very small space and tables are tightly packed and the place is usually full. So, if you want to have a conversation with your dining partners, choose somewhere else. If you are more interested in food than conversation, then this is your place. It is also not an inexpensive venture.