“Good Food, Good Service”
Review of The Red Onion Cafe

The Red Onion Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
The Red Onion Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #14 of 149 Restaurants in Boone
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Eastern Kentucky
“Good Food, Good Service”
Reviewed October 22, 2009

My husband and I ate here during our recent trip to Boone. It was a busy Saturday night, and we did have to wait for a table, but only about 25 minutes. The service was good, and the food was delicious. I had the linguine with meatballs, and it was excellent. It's a little pricey, in my opinion, but probably no more so than many other restaurants in town. We spent over $60, but we did have an appetizer and drinks in addition to our meal.

1 Thank CoalTownTraveler

Oklahoma
“Very Good Meal”
Reviewed October 11, 2009

My wife and I both had the French Dip and were very pleased. Very clean establishment with great parking. Service and food were both very good.

Raleigh, NC
“Good food, but overpriced.”
Reviewed October 6, 2009

Lunch for two totaled $40. For the amount / quality of the food, this is overpriced. The food was good, but we left with a bad taste feeling a bit ripped off.

1 Thank cfadams
Boone, North Carolina
“Red Onion is reliable and good”
Reviewed August 5, 2009

We have been to the Red Onion several times, both for lunch and dinner. I am sorry that some people had disappointing experiences, but we have concluded that it is one of the best and most reliable moderate-priced restaurants in Boone. It is not the Gamekeeper or even The Bistro, but it serves well prepared tasty meals with fresh ingredients. The staff us always friendly and helpful, and the atmosphere is pleasant. Although we prefer to eat inside, the new covered outside patio has become quite popular.

My test for whether a Boone restaurant is good is whether locals go there regularly. This is definitely true of the Red Onion, as well as Cha Da Thai, Peppers, and Hunan. Oh, and incidentally, I have no connection with this restaurant, except as a frequent customer.

2 Thank UP58
Atlanta, Georgia
“Nice place for a light meal.”
Reviewed November 6, 2008

My wife and I were in Boone for several days to tour the area and see the fall colors. One evening we asked our front desk staff to suggest a good place for a light meal and they recommended the Red Onion Cafe, a locally owned restaurant. The menu is extensive with lots of deli-type meals, plus full dinners. We ordered Reuben and French Dip sandwiches and they were both large and excellent, with a huge amount of fries. We don't know anything about the quality of dinners, but we would go here again for this type of food.

1 Thank like2travel1