“Excellent Choice in Boone!”

Makoto's Japanese Steak House and Sushi Bar
Ranked #37 of 156 Restaurants in Boone
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Boone's original Japanese Steak House & Sushi Bar since 1981. Makoto's is the Best Tasting Show in Town! Watch our chefs perform their culinary magic tableside or for a more intimate dining experience, dine in our Sushi Bar. Enjoy the views of our Japanese garden from every table.No reservations. Full ABC permits. Visa, MC, Amex, Discover cards accepted. No personal checks. Closed Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Eve Dinner (Open Christmas Eve Lunch 11:00-2:00), Christmas Day.
Reviewed June 11, 2014

Just dropped off our son at ASU and had an excellent dinner on our last night at Makoto's! We love Japanese hibachi restaurants and have been to many across the country. Makoto's will go down as one of our favorites! Both the waiter and our chef were very friendly and engaging. The dinner show had many of the usual elements (flying shrimp tails, onion volcano, etc.) but also a couple of new ones like the chef flinging balls of rice that you can try to catch in your mouths. Most importantly, the food was amazing! To start with, my whole family was raving about the soup and the ginger dressing on the salad. The shrimp for the appetizer course were also huge! My favorite was the yakiniku beef and chicken. All in all it was a great way for our family to end our visit to Boone and we are all hoping to go back soon!!!

Reviewed May 19, 2014

My friend and I miss Makoto's. We used to go there when we worked at the Appalachian University. So we decided to go out of town for a ride to Boone and had lunch there. As always the food was delicious. It is our first time to go there for lunch. we often did for dinner. We found it was very quick and less options as dinner. Still it was wonderfu. The food was clean and did not taste oily or fatty. I had scallops, and my friend had combination of steak and shrimp.

Reviewed May 2, 2014

Whether you're in the mood for hibachi or sushi, the food is excellent. I usually go for the yakiniku or scallops but everything is good. Seaweed salad and Boone roll are great on the sushi side. Also, to the person who was confused by the chicken livers on a hibachi menu, once I tried them I get them with some regularity. If you like liver at all, I would say that they are worth a try. Overall, the food is consistently good and the staff is very attentive. Still the best sushi and hibachi in Boone.

Reviewed April 28, 2014

Having eaten at several hibachi restaurants, we were in the mood for an entertaining meal. To begin with, I have never seen chicken livers on a hibachi menu... Having said that, the food was tasty but the show was nothing to brag about. Their chefs need to kick it up a notch in the entertainment department. Speaking of entertainment, a waiter was singing a bible song to the patrons at the table next to us....didn't quite understand that.
Our chef finished. Our meal ended with our chef flambéing bananas for us- they were deelish but would have been SO much better if they were served to us on separate plates. Steak & shrimp juices blended with cooked bananas-- not the best combo

Reviewed April 25, 2014

My husband and I have eaten here numerous times over the years and unfortunately, the restaurant continues into a downward spiral. Prices are high and nothing has changed too much over the years. All the cooks do it differently so it's a "roll of the dice" if you get a really good one! Cooks seem to throw the food on the grill to get it over as quickly as possible and seem bored... Waiter brings the check almost as soon as the cook leaves the table and then someone is gathering plates before you've even had a chance to dine. We just felt rushed to get out after we waited almost 20 minutes for our table to fill up! Our waiter reeked of cigarettes and we requested to be sung to by the "serenading waiter" and was pretty much told that unless we gave him money beforehand, it wouldn't happen! Wow! Also, apparently the owner was in the bar and enjoying herself quite loudly... Not everyone wants to hear that from the lobby... even the hostess was rolling her eyes! Think the owner and management really need to consider a revamp of the place and the employees. Show the paying diners that this place can be as great as it used to be! It will probably be a while before we go again!

gwendhing, Owner at Makoto's Japanese Steak House and Sushi Bar, responded to this reviewResponded April 27, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at my restaurant. I am sorry that your experience was less than what you are used to at Makoto's. We take every review seriously and value the opinions of loyal diners such as yourself. I would love the opportunity to speak with you more. Please feel free to contact me via email (makotosboone@gmail.com) or at the restaurant 828-264-7976.

Gwen Dhing