“Excellence!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Makoto's Japanese Steak House and Sushi Bar

Makoto's Japanese Steak House and Sushi Bar
Ranked #33 of 141 Restaurants in Boone
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Boone's original Japanese Steak House & Sushi Bar since 1981. Makoto's is the Best Tasting Show in Town! Watch our chefs perform their culinary magic tableside or for a more intimate dining experience, dine in our Sushi Bar. Enjoy the views of our Japanese garden from every table.No reservations. Full ABC permits. Visa, MC, Amex, Discover cards accepted. No personal checks. Closed Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Eve Dinner (Open Christmas Eve Lunch 11:00-2:00), Christmas Day.
“Excellence!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013 via mobile

The service was prompt, courteous, and professional- he really arrived to give personalized service to each guest at the table. The hibachi chef was awesome, and the food amazing. Makatos never disappoints!

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Candies1082
gwendhing, Owner at Makoto's Japanese Steak House and Sushi Bar, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Thank you so much for your review of Makoto's. We strive for great food, great service and a great time to be had by all. I'm so glad we made that happen for you. Let us know when you are coming back. We would love to meet you in person.

Western North Carolina
“Exactly what you want in a Japanese steak house!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

Just loved it. Visited with a full table of family for a birthday celebration. Excellent "show" and even an amazing song from a gifted staff member for the birthday girl. Would be a great place for a family event!

Visited May 2013
gwendhing, Owner at Makoto's Japanese Steak House and Sushi Bar, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your visit to Makoto's. I am so glad your family enjoyed themselves and you got a nice song for your celebration. I hope you will come in a visit us again soon and be sure to say "Hi"!

Sanford, North Carolina
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013 via mobile

Went there last weekend. Food was great chef was entertaining. Great meal and fun experience. Recommend to anyone going to Boone who wants a great meal!

Visited May 2013
gwendhing, Owner at Makoto's Japanese Steak House and Sushi Bar, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our restaurant. It means a lot to me and my staff for you to take the time to let everyone know how much you enjoyed yourself. We strive for great food, great fun and great service. I'm so glad we delivered that to your family.

Tampa, Florida
“Good food!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

We ate at the teppanyaki and it was good a good experience, my kids enjoyed the chef show. I had the Sesame chicken and it was good, but the bananas at the end were the highlight of the plate!!!

Visited March 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to tell about your experience at my restaurant. It means a lot to my staff and me that you enjoyed your experience. Make sure to say "Hi" the next time you are in. We would love to meet you and say "Thanks" in person.

Boone, North Carolina
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“ONE AND DONE! THE WORST. EVER.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

If you are looking for Japanese food, forget this place. I was seated at the "show bar" which was cringe-worthy, it was so hokey. The shrimp were dry and tasted like a salt lick. The rice was drowned in some kind of soy-based sauce that tasted like runny Chinese Fried Rice in a very bad restaurant. My table was dirty. I sent my plate back because it was dirty. The ambiance of this place could only be compared to a bowling alley with grills, bars, and chairs. My view was of an unkept garden. I can't even imagine eating sushi in a place like this... This is a restaurant for people who are not familiar with Japanese food, who are not likely to ever eat in good restaurants, and who are easily entertained by buffoons masquerading as chefs.

• Visited February 2013