WINNER WONDERLAND

Makoto's Japanese Steak House and Sushi Bar
Ranked #34 of 143 Restaurants in Boone
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Boone's original Japanese Steak House & Sushi Bar since 1981. Makoto's is the Best Tasting Show in Town! Watch our chefs perform their culinary magic tableside or for a more intimate dining experience, dine in our Sushi Bar. Enjoy the views of our Japanese garden from every table.No reservations. Full ABC permits. Visa, MC, Amex, Discover cards accepted. No personal checks. Closed Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Eve Dinner (Open Christmas Eve Lunch 11:00-2:00), Christmas Day.
Western North Carolina
“Exactly what you want in a Japanese steak house!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013

Just loved it. Visited with a full table of family for a birthday celebration. Excellent "show" and even an amazing song from a gifted staff member for the birthday girl. Would be a great place for a family event!

Visited May 2013
gwendhing, Owner at Makoto's Japanese Steak House and Sushi Bar, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your visit to Makoto's. I am so glad your family enjoyed themselves and you got a nice song for your celebration. I hope you will come in a visit us again soon and be sure to say "Hi"!

Sanford, North Carolina
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2013 via mobile

Went there last weekend. Food was great chef was entertaining. Great meal and fun experience. Recommend to anyone going to Boone who wants a great meal!

Visited May 2013
gwendhing, Owner at Makoto's Japanese Steak House and Sushi Bar, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our restaurant. It means a lot to me and my staff for you to take the time to let everyone know how much you enjoyed yourself. We strive for great food, great fun and great service. I'm so glad we delivered that to your family.

Tampa, Florida
“Good food!!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2013

We ate at the teppanyaki and it was good a good experience, my kids enjoyed the chef show. I had the Sesame chicken and it was good, but the bananas at the end were the highlight of the plate!!!

Visited March 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to tell about your experience at my restaurant. It means a lot to my staff and me that you enjoyed your experience. Make sure to say "Hi" the next time you are in. We would love to meet you and say "Thanks" in person.

Boone, North Carolina
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“ONE AND DONE! THE WORST. EVER.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2013

If you are looking for Japanese food, forget this place. I was seated at the "show bar" which was cringe-worthy, it was so hokey. The shrimp were dry and tasted like a salt lick. The rice was drowned in some kind of soy-based sauce that tasted like runny Chinese Fried Rice in a very bad restaurant. My table was dirty. I sent my plate back because it was dirty. The ambiance of this place could only be compared to a bowling alley with grills, bars, and chairs. My view was of an unkept garden. I can't even imagine eating sushi in a place like this... This is a restaurant for people who are not familiar with Japanese food, who are not likely to ever eat in good restaurants, and who are easily entertained by buffoons masquerading as chefs.

• Visited February 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank banlon
“Definite choice for fresh sushi in Boone, NC”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

The place was packed when we went, but we tend to be patient and sat in front of the prep station. It is always a great treat to see the sushi being prepped. Great atmosphere and the sushi was great. This is comparable to other great places we've been to. We took some pics too!

• 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
gwendhing, Owner at Makoto's Japanese Steak House and Sushi Bar, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind words about your dining experience at our restaurant. It really means alot to my team and myself. Thank you again for taking a moment to give us your thoughts and please let us know when you are coming back to Boone.