“Entertaining and delicious!”

Ranked #35 of 149 Restaurants in Boone
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Boone's original Japanese Steak House & Sushi Bar since 1981. Makoto's is the Best Tasting Show in Town! Watch our chefs perform their culinary magic tableside or for a more intimate dining experience, dine in our Sushi Bar. Enjoy the views of our Japanese garden from every table.No reservations. Full ABC permits. Visa, MC, Amex, Discover cards accepted. No personal checks. Closed Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Eve Dinner (Open Christmas Eve Lunch 11:00-2:00), Christmas Day.
Bristol, Virginia
“Entertaining and delicious!”
Reviewed January 14, 2013

Always a great place to go. Great food and chefs are friendly and fun. Family friendly. Has a sushi bar. Close to shopping, Blowing Rock, Tweetsie Railroad...

Visited October 2012
gwendhing, Owner at Makoto's Japanese Steak House and Sushi Bar, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Thank you for the nice compliment. We strive to offer excellent food and excellent service in fun atmosphere. We are so glad you enjoy dining with us.

Charlotte, NC
“Used to eat here in college and still go today...”
Reviewed January 13, 2013

I fondly remember eating at Makoto's back in the mid-to-late 1980's when I was a student at ASU. Always a good treat and the food always good. I now take my family here at least once or twice a year when passing through Boone. I look forward to our next trip here!

• Visited January 2013
Fayetteville, North Carolina
“Great Show and Dinner”
Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

Had dinner with my family here on New Years Eve. Food was good, menu selection was good, we didn't try any sushi though. Chef was very funny and interacted with our group very well. At the end of dinner one of the waiters cane over sang at our table, he was very talented and it certainly added to our evening. I am normally not a fan of Japanese restaurants when traveling but we did enjoy this one and I would visit again when in the area.

water
“Really Disappointing”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

We have been going to Makotos every year for the past 8 years. We visit during the week after Christmas and Spring Break. It has always been a good to great show and the food great. Well we went on Sunday, December 30th and were very disappointed. The chef was lousy and did nothing except make a volcano. The rice and veggies were just ok and the steak was not cooked as I ordered. About 2 minutes after the chef left the table, the servers assistant was bringing take out containers and we all felt like we were being rushed out. I don't dally at a restaurant after finishing my meal but this was over the top. We will probably never return and will not recommend this to anyone.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank chippy12
gwendhing, Owner at Makoto's Japanese Steak House and Sushi Bar, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor. Without reviews from customers such as yourself, we can never have a chance to improve. Please accept my apology for the unsatisfactory service you received at my restaurant. As a loyal customer for the past 8 years, you know Makoto's always provides great food and great service. Unfortunately, we fell short of that during your visit Dec. 30. I would love it if we could correspond via email to find out who your chef was so I can make sure this does not happen again. Please allow me to offer you a coupon for your Spring Break Visit to Boone as I would hate for this bad experience to keep you from a place you have enjoyed for the past 8 years.

Gwen Dhing
Owner
makotosboone@gmail.com
Newland, North Carolina
“Best Sushi in High Country”
Reviewed December 31, 2012

I have eaten at this restaurant since the beginning of there venture. Even before they built the new restaurant at the same location and demolished the old one. I enjoy Hibachi style food anywhere I go and this is one of the best that we have eaten. If you have ever eaten at a Benihana then this place will be right up there with them. The dinner is expensive and special occasion material unless you just want to spend at least $50 for two. However the lunch menu is very reasonable and the quantity of food is excellent. We always have enough for dinner that night as leftovers. The sushi this place serves is far superior to anything that claims to have sushi in the high country. They have a very extravagant sushi menu and most thing that I have tried are top notch. I would not go anywhere else for sushi. Also, just to throw this out there, they must have great management and provide great benefits to there employees as they have had some of them for at least 10 years, that is unheard of in the restaurant industry. And yes as the previous post mention (Austin?) Audan will play the guitar for special occasions and he can sing as well. This guy has been there for at least 15 years, so that speaks to the management staff of job well done. Great job Makotos

• Visited December 2012