“Great game, dodgy service”

Gamekeeper Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Gamekeeper Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #11 of 156 Restaurants in Boone
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: 100 yards up Shulls Mill Rd from the entrance to Yonahlossee
Reviewed July 25, 2013

We loved the food! On a recent visit to Boone, my husband and I chose to dine here because of our love of game. To start, we shared the appetizer charcuterie plate. Not only was it superb, but it was plenty for two. All the meats on the plate were delicious, but the hot rabbit mush was awesome. My husband had the bison for a main course and I had the wild boar belly. These were also outstanding dishes and we were both surprised at the lack of gaminess in the meats. Portions were quite generous so we shared a panna cotta dessert, also excellent. While we thoroughly enjoyed the food and would return for that, we were initially put off by the hostess. There was no one in the entry when we arrived and we didn't even see a waitress for several minutes. I finally stopped one and told her we had a reservation. She said she would find the hostess. It was several more minutes before the hostess showed up and she seemed put out by our arrival. Instead of seating us, she proceeded to take a phone call and make reservations for the caller. When she finally finished that conversation, she seated us at the first table just inside the entrance. Also, while our waitress was very sweet, she seemed to be rushed off our feet. Not the service we expect at these prices, especially as the restaurant was only about 30% full.

1  Thank spaqueen_9

Reviewed July 23, 2013

Interesting but did not live up to the previous reviews. Hard to get to and very expensive. It just was not what we were expecting since the reviews were so good.

Reviewed July 9, 2013

It's pricey but worth it. Crazy enough i had fried oysters that were the second best in my life and my girlfriend had ostrich for the first time and it was perfect.

Reviewed July 5, 2013

Beautiful setting, delicious food, friendly staff. I will most definitely visit again when I get the chance.

Reviewed July 4, 2013

Everyone loved what they ordered, the service was wonderful and so was the atmosphere. We arrived early and even though our reservations were for later they accommodated us within 10 minutes we were seated. The area is very hilly with winding roads that for us visitors take extra driving time. Overall a wonderful restaurant. If we lived closer it would be visited quite often!