“Eclectic Mountain Cottage - Amazing Food”

Gamekeeper Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Gamekeeper Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #11 of 148 Restaurants in Boone
Cuisines: American
Good for: Scenic view, Local cuisine, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: 100 yards up Shulls Mill Rd from the entrance to Yonahlossee
Newport, Rhode Island
“Eclectic Mountain Cottage - Amazing Food”
Reviewed October 24, 2012

I've had both the trout and the beef, and both were amazing. The wine selection is uncanny. And while I love the food, I think I'm even more partial to the decor, which reminds me of a great aunt's white-washed mountain camp. Fairy lights add to the magic and beautiful dark woods and antiques keep it grounded. Crisp white tablecloths and clinking glasses remind you that you are, in fact, in a restaurant. Lovely all around.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank HollyGoesLightly

Raleigh, NC
“Loved this gem!”
Reviewed October 23, 2012

This was an amazing restaurant. We were quite surprised to find it in the mountains. Everything was excellent. I had the ostrich, one of my favorites and it was paired with the most amazing kale I have ever eaten. Hubs had the antelope, and he loved his too. Worth the money and the trip!

Blowing Rock, North Carolina
“Awesome food, awesome service!”
Reviewed October 12, 2012

I went to the Gamekeeper with my mother for her birthday and it exceeded all of our expectations. I made a reservation (would recommend as it fills up very quickly) and they decorated the table for us which was a nice touch. The restaurant is located off the beaten path and can be a little harrowing for those who do not drive these mountain roads everyday. The setting for the restaurant was awesome and a nice retreat. It was a good balance of fancy but relaxed at the same time with rustic surroundings but excellent table settings. I have worked in restaurants for most of my life so these are the things I notice first when walking in. The prices can be a little scary at first but it is worth every penny. We split the game sampler for an app. and it was wonderful to try the bison, ostrich, rattlesnake/boar sausage, and rabbit/blueberry sausage. It is a great way to try all of the different meats and if you are not a fan a game or have never tried it, a way to slowly introduce yourself to it. We then each had a salad, the fried okra and buttermilk blue cheese one, both were wonderful. We split the venison for our entree and it was perfectly cooked and the vegetables were outstanding. We also got a side order of blue cheese mac'n'cheese and I would recommend that be added to every course! The vegetables are all obtained from local farmers and they are packed full of flavor! We got the chance to talk to the owner, Ken, and it was great seeing his passion for the food and wanting to provide an overall great experience to customers. The great thing about the restaurant is that he wants everyone to be relaxed and happy so there is no dress code and you will see everyone from wearing suits to just jeans and t-shirts. I would definitely recommend this restaurant to everyone living and visiting Blowing Rock!

*The bartender is very good at making mixed cocktails and the wine selection is excellent and reasonable!

• Visited August 2012
Bethesda, Maryland
“excellent mountain restaurant”
Reviewed October 10, 2012

Great food, casual dress with range from blue jeans to jackets, a bit of a trip to find it but worth the trip. Food includes all sorts of grilled meats as well as seafood dishes. Meats include duck (excellent), ostrich, rattlesnake sausage, buffalo sausage, etc. Extensive beer, ale and wine selections.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank Ken B
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Very Impressive”
Reviewed October 9, 2012

After having a second home in the Blowing Rock area for ten years, we finally got around to eating at the Gamekeeper. I guess I had held off, thinking that the "game" theme would be more gimmick than performance. I greatly underestimated the skills and passion of the chef and staff. Having just returned from a well-researched two week eating trip to Paris and Provence, I have to say that our dinner Sunday night held its own, and actually surpassed several if our culinary experiences in France. My wife had the Bison short ribs, my 15 year old son had the Venison Osso Bucco, and I had the Ostrich. Each one was award-winning, and even the local roasted vegetables were a stand-out. Best beet I've had in a long time. The flavors, jus, herbs, and textures were mesmerizing. Our appetizer of squash stuffed with rattlesnake and lamb sausage was not just a novelty -- it had subtle Indian flavors and was very well-balanced. This chef is really talented. The relaxed atomosphere, the setting, and the service were all very charming. Whether you are entertaining a foodie, your aging inlaws, a visiting French chef, or your girlfriend or boyfriend, our your wife of 23 years (our anniversary), you will be very happy with your choice. I hope the current chef stays there for a long time.

• Visited October 2012