“Great Spot!!”

Gamekeeper Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Gamekeeper Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 151 Restaurants in Boone
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: 100 yards up Shulls Mill Rd from the entrance to Yonahlossee
“Great Spot!!”
Reviewed October 8, 2011

Excellent food and bar in the boondocks. Very unique and different. We had a great time.

Boone, North Carolina
“Just the Best”
Reviewed October 4, 2011

We live here year round and whenever the kids get "taken" for the weekend my wife and I seem to navigate to the Gamekeeper. We love to eat in the bar and always see some interesting people. I am a Carnivore and my wife much less so, but we seem to have pleasing accommodation. She goes for the fowl dishes and I dig the mixed game appetizer. The whole staff is on point with Scott, Amy and the great barman Evan standing out. The place is located between Boone and Blowing Rock on twisting Shulls Mill Road so it is best to designate a driver!

Florida Panhandle, Florida
“Very Good Restaurant--If You Can Find It”
Reviewed September 25, 2011

Having read glowing reviews about the Gamekeeper Restaurant on TripAdvisor, we decided to try it on the spur of the moment. After getting perfunctory directions from the front desk at our hotel in Boone, it sounded like a short drive and the directions seemed straightforward.

Unfortunately, the directions left out a few turns and it was not in downtown Boone but about 14 miles from the hotel. The GPS said the road was "not mapped" and suggested a much different route. After driving around for about 30 minutes, calling the restaurant, and learning there is a difference in "Old Shulls Mill Road" and "Shulls Mill Road" we did locate the restaurant.

It is located a few miles down a rural, narrow, mountainous road with no shoulders. Drive carefully, especially after dark. There are no signs pointing to the restaurant despite its out of the way location. I fully expected to end up on a dead end road facing a couple of trailers with abandoned cars surrounding the area. Fortunately, that fear was unfounded.

The restaurant is in an old house but the plain, outward appearance is deceptive. The menu is unique and reflects the "game" in the "Gamekeeper" name. I tried the pheasant after debating between it or the ostrich or the wild boar. These are not normally decisions I have to make in a restaurant and it was a pleasant change. We had not eaten lunch and were very hungry by the time we arrived at the restaurant. I suppressed the urge to order too much food

The pheasant was very tasty if slightly dry and it was accompanied by an excellent selection of grilled vegetables.

There was an extensive wine list. I was hesitant to try one of the better wines as I knew we would be driving in the rain back down the rural road and there was a limited selection of wine "by the glass" but we each had a glass of an malbec which I had not heard of previously. No doubt, the wines by the bottle were much better (and more expensive) but the wine was not unpleasant.

My wife ordered the trout and it was superb (I tried some of her trout as well as my own meal.) She also had the potato and crab soup as an appetizer. It looked superb and her opinion was that it tasted as least as good as it appeared when it arrived at our table.

Both entrees were excellent and looked perfect when brought to the table. Our server was also very good and made sure we were served promptly and kept our glasses full.

For dessert, I tried the bread pudding. As another reviewer noted on this website, it was outstanding. I think the bread pudding at Ruth's Chris may be a little better but that is a quibble. It was great and we easily consumed the entire portion which was a very reasonable serving for two people to split.

The restaurant takes reservations and anyone making the trip should make sure you have a reservation. It is a relatively small restaurant that is very popular in the area and probably gets full during the summer season. We were fortunate in that we arrived on a Sunday night which was relatively slow and we were given a table with a good view without a wait. That would probably not be possible earlier in the summer.

Asheville
“Fabulous, don't miss out on eating here”
Reviewed September 14, 2011

Some of the best food I have ever eaten, really, it's that good. My wife and I went here for the first time to celebrate her birthday. Wow! We both a fish, trout and snapper and both had dessert. Everything was outstanding. This a must place to eat if you like fine food. Service was also excellent. 5 stars

nc
“Special place for a special occasion”
Reviewed September 12, 2011

Service was excellent, birthday confetti on the table in honor of my husband's birthday.
The food was beautifully prepared and presented and the vegetables were delicious. Portions were generous and my husband had his choice of dessert on the house for his birthday. The noise level was low and the tables were well-spaced. Good wine list with moderate prices. Would highly recommend--this was our second visit. It is relatively expensive so we go for special occasions.