“Dirty Hotel in Boone.”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Concord, North Carolina, United States
“Dirty Hotel in Boone.”
Reviewed November 29, 2013

My family stayed here for the Thanksgiving holiday. We have stayed here a handful of times before. The two rooms we received were not cleaned properly to begin with. There was pubic hair all over our shower. ( was obviously not cleaned between guests), our floor was not vacuumed recently as there were a lot of stuff(Kleenex, lint, dirt) on the floor. We also did not receive a fridge in our room contrary to their website. After the first night we left the Hotel at 10am to return to our rooms at 4pm. The room was not touched by the staff. When we asked why, we were told that the house keeper left at 9:30am so we did not leave in time for service that day. The desk person came to our rooms and replenished our towels and removed our trash only. the next day we requested that the linens in one of our rooms to be changed due to spilling hot chocolate on the bed. When we returned to our rooms we found that not only did the staff fail yet again on a simple request, they also left our wet towels on the floor in the room. They actually made the bed with hot chocolate all over the linens still. When we asked the female manager on duty that conveniently did not have a name tag, about this issue she was not apologetic. She actually appeared to be bothered by our complaint. I can not believe this hotel is actually run like this. I will not stay here again. I am sure the manager will respond with the usual canned response, but to all who read this. STAY AWAY FROM SLEEP INN BOONE, NC There are many choices here in Boone. There is no need to deal with this level of incompetency.

Room Tip: Go to another Hotel. Save yourself!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Atique A
sleepinnfdm, Manager at Sleep Inn Boone, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
Dear guest,
We are sorry to hear that you felt your stay was inadequate. Although the holiday weekend was at high occupancy, your room should have been attended to properly.
I have dealt with the housekeeping staff regarding the poor condition of your room during your stay, however, I do want to address some of the other issues you have mentioned.
There is nowhere on our website that describes a refrigerator in the rooms. The mini fridge and microwaves have been taken out temporarily, and all websites have been updated with this information.
Additionally, I did apologize to you for the inconsistent service, and your request was taken care of immediately. It appears that your complaints are isolated incidents during Thanksgiving weekend.
I would hope that our guests realize this is a rare situation, and that our hotel strives towards excellence in both room condition and staff performance.

Assistant General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
NC
Reviewed October 25, 2013

We decided to take a last minute trip to Boone so we booked this hotel as we usually do when visiting this particular area. It has always been a safe bet, and this trip held true to that as well. Nothing too fancy, very reasonable prices (especially on a home football game weekend), nice quiet hotel in a very good location. The check-in/out process was pretty painless and the staff is always very friendly. The room was nice and spacious – it was clean with the exception of a used washcloth hanging over the shower rail, but that was it. The continental breakfast is just that – a couple kinds of cold/hot cereal, juices, waffles, microwave sausage biscuits, danishes/muffins, toast and fruit. Not fancy, just enough to get in and out without buying breakfast somewhere. Overall a great stay and we will certainly be back to this hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
sleepinnfdm, Manager at Sleep Inn Boone, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Dear traveler,
Your review is greatly appreciated. On behalf of the entire team here at the Sleep Inn, we want to say "thank you", and invite you back again.
This is the excellence our staff strives for on a daily basis, and we are encouraged by your review.
Boynton Beach, Florida
Reviewed October 20, 2013

I checked in after 8:00 pm and told the only 2 rooms were next to or across from the Ice and vending section this was my first disappointment. When I opened the door to the room there was no fridge in the room as it stated on the web site and I need this for medications that must be kept cold. This problem was solved be the night desk clerk who delivered one to us in a matter of minutes. On day 2 when we woke up both my wife and I had major headaches and stuffed noses as we looked around the room we saw dust on the base of the desk chair the base of the floor lamp and the top of the headboard as well as lint old Kleenex scraps on the floor. I spoke to the front desk and asked them to clean the room, however after working all day and getting back to my room at 9:00pm not only had anything been done the dirty wet washcloth were still in the shower and there were no cups or coffee in the room. I again spoke to the night clerk and I dusted the room with the dirty washcloths. Again on the 3rd day after working an 9 hour day we came back to a never cleaned floor the same dirty washcloths again spoke to the apologetic front desk clerk. If I had not paid in advance at this hotel months prior I would have left after the first night. As a long time choice hotel rewards member this is the worst property in the chain and I will never stay here again even though I am in this area 4 times a year for between 3 to 5 days a year.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear traveler,
Thank you for taking time to review our hotel. In order to provide 100% quality satisfaction, we appreciate all comments, whether negative or positive.
Our staff continues to strive towards the 100% goal, and make necessary adjustments in each department in order to achieve this.
Please accept my apology for the issues you faced while staying with us. I can assure you an excellent stay should you decide to come back and give us another chance.
Please feel free to contact me anytime.
Michigan
Reviewed October 15, 2013 via mobile

When we checked into the hotel for a four night stay, I needed to plug in some of our electronics. I had to pull out the bedside night stand from the wall to access the outlet. It was obvious that no one had cleaned behind there in many months, with all the dust, candy wrappers and plastic beverage bottles. When we returned the next day from our outing, our towels were still on the floor where we had put them in the morning; the room had not been vacuumed, nor had the toilet been cleaned. The pillows on the bed were where we had left them. We were part of a large group, and we called the manager, who came quickly and seemed to care about our issues. She called the head housekeeper in, who came shortly. The young lady displayed an unpleasant attitude. I spoke with her briefly and pointed out that their work is the most visible to the guests, and the staff should be properly trained and have pride in their work. Our room was never vacuumed, nor were the bed linens ever changed. The bathroom was never cleaned after the first day. We were promised a night's refund, which was done, but not without some effort on our part. We will not be staying at this Sleep Inn again.

Stayed September 2013
Dear guest,
I apologize for the experience that you had during your stay with us. It is a rare occasion that rooms get missed by the housekeeping staff, however, mistakes due to human error, do sometimes occur.
We are continually working towards 100% satisfaction in our room condition, and appreciate even the bad comments, in order to obtain this goal.
I hope that in the future, you will give us another opportunity to provide you with a clean and cozy room.
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed September 30, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel the evening of September 27, 2013. We booked the room based upon availability and reviews. The lobby was comfortable and the staff friendly. The room was not clean. The blanket had numerous long hairs in it, the bathroom floor was not cleaned, and the toilet was not clean, nor had it been properly cleaned in a while as evidenced by the buildup under the rim, and streaks in the toilet bowl. The hair dryer sparked and made a horrible noise, we returned it to the front desk and were told another one would be put in our room. Finally, the beds were most uncomfortable. We paid over 170.00 for this room, not worth a fraction of that amount. One positive: carbon monoxide detectors.

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear guest,
On behalf of the entire staff here, please accept my apologies for the problems you faced during your stay with us.
These are not typical occurrences, and we continue to make great improvements in every department.
I invite you to come back and give us a chance to show you how clean and comfortable your stay with us can truly be.
Thunder Bay, Canada
Reviewed September 26, 2013

This hotel was chosen because of the good reviews and location for a group of 8 couples, for 4 nights. Our first impression at check in (late afternoon) was good and Daniel at the front desk was very helpful and pleasant. Upon entering our room, the bed wasn’t quite smooth and the pillows were thrown rather haphazardly…..ok, not the best bed making skills. Upon returning from dinner we noticed the toilet had a black ring and the shower was a little scummy. We had already unpacked and thought that these issues would be dealt with the next day. After spending the entire next day out of our room, we returned to find that it had not been made up, no clean towels, wet towels on the floor in the bathroom, not vacuumed and the black ring in the toilet remained. Turned out that ours was not the only room left this way. All 8 rooms had issues so we approached the manager who seemed genuinely concerned and came up to the rooms to inspect, blaming the housekeeping staff. The head housekeeper was called in at one point (with an attitude) and asked what we wanted done. Apparently, if guests are staying over more than one night it isn’t thought necessary to vacuum or make the bed. We had taken off the bedspread and piled it on the couch where it remained our entire stay. The explanation was that some people didn’t like it on the bed. Why not fold it at least? The black ring in the toilet was explained as normal but the manager agreed that yes, it could have been given a scrub. I wiped it with a tissue and it came off easily – not a hard water ring. I could go on with a list of other things that were not cleaned. After daily complaints we were all pretty fed up with the level of cleanliness and lack of basic housekeeping. The manager promised to comp us a night because of all the problems. To add insult to injury, on check-out no one’s bill had been adjusted and the clerk on duty either didn’t know how or didn’t have the authority to adjust them. We all demanded he call the manager but he thought it was too early to wake her (7:30am) and that she would probably be in later. That wasn’t good enough for us, so he called her, but guess what….her car broke down and she couldn’t get to the hotel until later. We left our phone numbers and were promised a phone call the next day (which never happened). We did get e-mails later in the day with a credit for one night’s stay. The rate went up while were there and we were compensated for one night at the lower rate – not surprised. It seemed to us that the manager didn’t want to deal with us in person.
We travel a lot and have choices when booking hotels, we will NOT be choosing a Sleep Inn again if this is any indication as to their level of service and cleanliness.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank r10th
Dear guest,
All of us at the Sleep Inn, greatly apologize for your inconveniences during your visit with us. Please know that these are not typical issues, and we have taken positive steps towards remedying the cause.
We encourage you to give us another chance on your next trip to Boone. In the future, if there is anything I can do personally to make your trip more comfortable, please do not hesitate to contact me.