“DIRTY”
Review of Super 8 Boone NC

Super 8 Boone NC
Ranked #10 of 18 Hotels in Boone
Reviewed August 14, 2012

We booked a room for one night at the rate of 120.00 per night, total of 154 with tax, ect. expected an average but clean room. I requested non-smoking. When the clerk gave us the room number, which was on top floor, I immediately smelt smoke when I got off the elevator. We went to the room and it smelt worse in there. The beds were not changed because the sheets were all wrinkled up when the comfortor was pulled down. I asked the cleaning lady to look at the beds and she said she over heard us about the smell and told us the whole 4th floor was smoking. I requested a room change. The clerk lied and said that the room he gave us is non-smoking and it is the only one on that floor that is. Well, anyway he gave us a room on the 2nd floor, which smelt better but not good. The shower made this horrible noise that you just wanted to hurry and get out. We left the room and went to a concert and arrived back at 11:30 pm exhausted. when we pulled the comforter down the fitted sheeT and mattress cover popped off and exposed the dirtiest mattress I have ever seen. The sheets were not big enough for the mattress. We called room service and he brought several different sheets and they would not fit either. He finally brought a king size, which was too big but at least it covered the nasty mattress. I did complain and they gave me half my money back. They need to throw the mattresses away in that hotel and I had rather pay alot more and stay in a clean hotel as to stay where they try to cover their dirt.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank ANGIE H
Daniel C, Guest Relations Manager at Super 8 Boone NC, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2012

First of all I would like to apologize that your stay did not meet your expectations. I would also like to thank you for sharing your experience and allowing us to respond to it. Our number one goal at Super 8 of Boone is you make sure you are comfortable, in a clean room that meets all your needs, and that you feel as "at home" as possible.

Our team will address each and every issue you have mentioned in your review from the confusion on the smoking room to the mattress and the sheets, and the noisy pipes. We always want things to be perfect the first time, but perfection takes input (like yours) and attention to detail on our part. I assure you and anyone else who may read this post our team will do everything they can to resolve these issues immediately. Your comments may have just made our next guests stay with us (and hopefully YOUR next stay with us) a perfect 10.

Thanks again for your comments and we hope to see you back in Boone at Super 8 soon!

Reviewed August 5, 2012

This was a quick over night trip we made to see my son at App State Wrestling Camp. Expected average for the rate and it was a little below. I did not feel comfortable taking shower! They have worn sofas in the hallways that need to be trashed. Beds were uncomfortable with the mattress in poor quality. Not sure how old this property is but the inside does not match the outside. We plan to pay extra to stay at the Marriot during the next 6 years of his camp experience at App State.

Room Tip: If you can get it for less that $60 and it is only for 1 night
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
david b, General Manager at Super 8 Boone NC, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2012

We sincerely apologize for your less than satisfactory experience at our property in August. We have recently added more experienced maintenance personnel and are in the process of improving certain room types. Again, we apologize for the inconvenience and hope you will give us another chance at accommodating you in the future.

Reviewed July 26, 2012

This hotel is in need of a few updates. Non-smoking rooms have been smoking rooms previously so the smell is still around. Beds are old and bounce too much. Air conditioning quit working in my room and in family members room across the hall. Shower would run cold and then very hot. Manager was very nice and seemed concerned but I bet this was already known.

TV was old tube type, no flat screen. Wi-fi seemed to work OK. Towels were stained and rough, but clean. Room was basically clean but could use a deep cleaning. Saw minimal mold in shower area. Old ceiling tiles and flooring could be updated.

Overall, not bad but basic. Price was low for the area. Would stay again knowing what I know about the place but would take air freshener and cleaner.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank rbrown9681

Thank you for staying with us this summer. I apologize for some of the issues you mentioned in your review but we are an older property in need of a few upgrades. We do try and offer a good value to our guests and we are aware of the issues you mentioned. We hope you will stay with us again on your next visit to the area.

Reviewed July 1, 2012

Spent a night here, and would stay again. The front desk person was very helpful.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank zumaqueen

Thank you for your positive comments concerning our front desk staff. We look forward to having you stay with us soon!

Reviewed June 18, 2012

Let me just start by saying we travel alot and have stayed in high end hotels as well as motels. Very satisfied with this motel. Rooms, pool area, and dining area very clean. Customer service great and very friendly. Our a/c didn't work when we checked in. Maintenance was at the door before I hung up phone good. Very knowledgeable about the area and restaurants. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank Tgrubbs

Thank you. We pride ourselves on excellent customer service throughout our organization. We hope to see you soon!

Reviewed May 30, 2012

I have stayed at the Super 8 in Boone before and probably will again. The staff is friendly and helpful and the rooms are well-equipped. It is nothing at all fancy, but it is clean and reasonable and a good value for the money. My only real complaint is that I wish the mattresses were more comfortable.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the back to avoid road noise.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank moondogg57

Thank you for your positive comments concerning our property. We look forward to accommodating you in the future.

Reviewed May 17, 2012

We stayed here two nights the weekend of my child's graduation from Appalachian State. We were late booking (my fault) and the Super 8 was the only game in town at that point. Their rates for that weekend were about twice as high as normal, which was no surprise, but we ended up paying 3 star rates for at best a 1 star experience.

There was a terrible stain on the floor when we arrived and had to insist that they clean it. The linens were dingy and not particularly fresh looking. The bathroom sink turned out to be stopped up. Maintenance came and unstopped the sink but did not test it out. When we tried to use it, water spilled out all over the floor as the pipes were loose underneath. Maintenance came back yet again, determined it could not be fixed, told us he would arrange to have our room switched and would bring the new keys to us and help us move. Almost an hour later, after hearing nothing we went to the front desk to speak to the manager. He plead ignorance of the situation, but did indeed finally switch us to another room, where the headboard was broken with screws sticking out on one of the beds. We were staying for two nights and at this point asked for some compensation for the very poor experience we were having. After much arguing the manager did give us a $50 discount. Comping us one of the nights would have been more my expectation.

The shower curtains in both rooms smelled sour and we observed at least one other patron exchanging a shower curtain for the same reason.

Several of the staff were friendly and did try to help, but my perception is that the manager runs the place on the cheap and he showed little interest in whether our experience was good or not. He acted as though he was doing us a major favor by moving us out of a room with a non functional sink. We did not get anywhere near what we paid for.

I would encourage you to avoid this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank PatientGuy

We certainly apologize for your experience at our hotel. We are in the process of training a new management team with an emphasis on customer service. We are aware of the issues that you mentioned and are in the process of making changes. We hope you will give us another try in the future.