“Falls well below expectations”

The Inn at Crestwood
Ranked #7 of 9 Boone B&B and Inns
Durham, North Carolina, United States
“Falls well below expectations”
Reviewed October 22, 2013

We stayed at The Inn at Crestwood for an anniversary weekend trip and to attend a wedding. Based on the website photos and room prices, we expected a serene, relaxing mountain weekend, but the only thing we got was the mountain.

Our first room (#10) was right by the on-site restaurant and not only did we constantly hear people walking and talking, we also had a loud vibration in our room that seemed to be due to heavy machinery from the restaurant. Our shades were also missing multiple blinds and the room overall had the look and feel of a cheap hotel, not a resort (uncomfortable bed, 19" TV, cheap fixtures and carpeting). When we woke up the next day after barely any sleep, we requested a new room and also cancelled our planned third night.

Our next room (#101, the bottom of a villa) was substantially more quiet but had stains on the bedroom wall and ceiling of the shower (see photos), had no clock, and the wireless internet did not work down there. We also awoke the next morning to a dog that had been left alone in our neighbor's room and was barking and crying.

The views from the resort are truly amazing, but almost every hotel in this area is going to have amazing views. We thought we were paying extra for a luxury experience, but what we got was an old hotel that has clearly not been updated in a long time and an exasperated (but sweet) hotel staff that seemed very accustomed to poor guest experiences.

Spend your hard earned vacation dollars elsewhere.

Room Tip: Avoid Rooms 7-11 as they are directly on the way to the restaurant
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Chris A

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Our family of ten stayed in 3 rooms at the Inn. The rooms were clean and spacious and our suite was very comfortable. The options for breakfast were somewhat limited though. The 3 ft pool was perfect for our young kid. On the whole we enjoyed our stay very much.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Aba L
Michigan
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Our family recently stayed at The Inn at Crestwood for a Family Wedding. We found the accommodations ( Juniper Cottage) very well appointed and clean. A continental breakfast was included in with the room charge. It more than adequately feed our family of four - the homemade granola was out of this world! We did not dine at the Inn since it was closed for the wedding party, but if the catered food for the wedding was any hint, it was wonderful cuisine. Boone and Blowing Rock are nearby towns that had wonderful places to eat and shop. Don't miss out on the amazing zip line tour provided by Sky Valley Zip Tours. It was the highlight of our trip. We would definitely return to the Inn at Crestwood for it's charming back woods location and very hospitality staff.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
SC
Reviewed June 23, 2013

We recently stayed at The Inn at Crestwood for a family wedding. I was impressed with the friendliness of the staff from the time I made our reservation to check-out. Our room was clean, extremely comfortable and had a fabulous view. (Very comfortable beds!) I hope to return some day and take advantage of the fireplace and enjoy a view of the fall foliage from the larger porch/balcony. Service from the dining room was limited to dinner, so we dined elsewhere for our meals. The staff made very helpful recommendations for the days activities. We thoroughly enjoyed interacting with the staff each night over our pre-dinner cocktails. Management and staff were friendly, entertaining and very professional. I was impressed with the quality of service at this family-style Inn. As a wedding guest, we enjoyed the food and service provided at the wedding reception. Again, very outgoing, helpful staff. We look forward to returning again some day. The Inn is attractive, clean and comfortable. But it is definitely the warmth and friendliness of the staff that would be the primary reason for our return to The Inn at Crestwood.

Room Tip: Room 9 has a fabulous view, spacious balcony and fireplace.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

MktCrestwoodNC, Manager at The Inn at Crestwood, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Thank you so much for your positive feedback. We are so glad that you enjoyed your time at Crestwood. We hope that it was a memorable and fun time!
Mount Airy, North Carolina
Reviewed June 5, 2013

This was a great place to get away for the weekend with the girls. I do recommend arriving during the daytime since the roads are curvy (Mountains - go figure) and there are no street lights. The Inn is definitely out of the way from everything else so, we ate dinner there the night that we arrived and it was fantastic. The next day, we made sure that we did everything we wanted to do in Blowing Rock and Boone before we came back to the Inn since it is a distance away from everything.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Raleigh, NC
Reviewed May 27, 2013

I stayed at the Inn at Crestwood for a wedding in March. The Crestwood advertises itself as a top notch lodge, but I found it to be average. The setting is the most impressive thing about it. The rooms are clean, comfortable, and quiet. Nothing fancy, but certainly acceptable and I got a good night's sleep. However, I've had better continental breakfasts at chain hotels. This wouldn't have been a big deal, but the Crestwood charges a "resort fee" of $15, and when I asked about this, the staff told me that the fee covers upkeep of the spa facilities (which I didn't use), housekeeping, and the continental breakfast. When I pointed out that most hotels don't feel the need to charge an extra fee on top of the room fee for these items, I was told that the Crestwood has to do this because they are a small, family-owned business, not a chain. The fee is listed on their site, but if you're not looking for it, you likely won't find it and I wasn't informed of it when I called to make the reservation. In the interest of full disclosure, it is mentioned in the confirmation e-mail they send out once you've made your reservation but again, if that's not something you're expecting, you'll likely miss it completely. If it hadn't been for the $35 cancellation fee, which, if my confirmation e-mail was to be believed, I would have been charged no matter how much lead time I provided, I would have cancelled my reservation. As it was, I opted to stay elsewhere my first night in town and only stayed at the Crestwood so that I wouldn't have to drive after the wedding reception. In short, the room was fine, but nothing you couldn't find elsewhere, and the "complimentary" breakfast isn't truly complimentary if you're paying $15 for it. On the other hand, the views were spectacular, the staff was helpful, and the reception hall/restaurant was a very nice space for a wedding. If the food at the reception was any indication, I would think that the onsite restaurant is worth a visit. I wouldn't tell someone not to stay there but neither would I particularly recommend it. I didn't visit the spa/fitness facilities. Perhaps those would have tipped things in the Crestwood's favor for me. If you're not likely to use the lap pool and you'd rather not pay for things that other hotels/inns include in the room cost, look elsewhere.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank akimbokimono
DavidCrestwoodNC, Manager at The Inn at Crestwood, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We apologize that our policies were not communicated effectively. The concerns that you've noted here have been communicated to our management staff. We will be working to resolve these types of issues in the future for our guests.
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Reviewed May 27, 2013

My family and I just returned from a long weekend at the Inn at Crestwood and would recommend it. We were in room 13 in the Inn (a double queen) and were impressed with the size, view, and comfort. The view was amazing and seemed like it was better than what the villas and cottages might have. The room was clean, but our coffee mugs that we brought back from breakfast each morning were left stacked in the bathroom each morning. The morning we checked out, there were 6 dirty coffee mugs in the bathroom which seemed a little odd. No biggie. I wish they had had a recycling trash can in addition to the regular trash can. We had a lot of recyclables that I felt guilty for throwing in the regular trash can. I hope someone was able to pull the wine bottles, magazines, and newspapers out of the trash can to recycle.

The continental breakfast was nice, but nothing fancy. It was sort of strange. They had yoplait yogurt, but only had soup spoons so you couldn't eat it. There weren't any napkins. We had to go steal some off the dinner tables.

The spa was lovely. Small, but nice and relaxing. Nothing fru fru which was fine with me. The indoor pool was a plus. It was a little dirty around the pool, but perfect temperature and great for swimming laps. Very relaxing.

The staff was amazing. Molly at the front desk was so nice and helpful. Our room didn't have a refrigerator. Molly was nice enough to store our food in the employee refrigerator which was a huge help.

We had dinner at the Table one night. It was very good, but we were a bit surprised by the bill. Our 7 yo daughter ordered the fresh catch special which was essentially fish and chips (breaded cod and fries.) The bill for her meal was $26 which was way more than either my husbands or my dish. Granted she did order the fresh catch, but the waiter never said anything about the price or did we want a kids portion or anything along those lines. Just sticker shock when we received the bill. We never could figure out if they did room service or not. There was a button on the telephone for room service, but no menu. So, who knows.

All in all a great relaxing place that we look forward to coming back to.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Boone
The Green Park Inn
Meadowbrook Inn & Suites
Meadowbrook Inn & Suites
#4 of 15 in Blowing Rock
Hampton Inn & Suites Boone

Been to The Inn at Crestwood? Share your experiences!