“Much Improved.”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed July 19, 2010

I wrote a fairly negative review of this restaurant about a year ago. I was curious to see if the complaints on this site had improved the quality of the food. After all, every restaurant has a bad day! Anyhow, the food was much better this time around. They stopped serving the bland vegetable soup that was so bad. The corn and green beans may have been canned, but everything else was very good. Other posts have described what you get, so I won't bore you with a detailed description. The line was not long when I got there, but was much longer when we left. As I understand it, the line can get extremely long, which may be the biggest down side. For all you can eat food in a famous place, the $15.95 price was not out of bounds. If you like home style fried chicken in a landmark place, give it a try.

1  Thank docdiamond
Write a ReviewReviews (1,038)

Reviewed May 15, 2010

My family just left this restaurant after one of the most miserable dining experiences I have had. First of all, let's talk about the quality of the food. Most people these days have some sort of food requirement. There was no selection (out of three meats) for those who can't have gluten or sugar. Also, most people prefer food that is healthy and fresh. As someone from the south, I know that southern country cooking and freshness are not mutally exclusive. I would be surprised if everything except the fried chicken, which was dry and soggy at the same time (that's a feat), was pre-prepared from the distributor. Trust me, my grandmother would have never put that chicken on her family's plates.

Second let's talk about the service (if that's what we're going to call it). We were squawked orders like we were in prison, not guests in a restaurant. The waitress yelled at us what we were supposed to do. In addition, when we are told to collect our salad and dinner plates and pass around food on our own (dessert), this does not warrant an added gratuity. In addition, there were signs in several places that say gratuity was not added.

The money spent on the quality of food was ridiculous. The fact that gratuity was added, even more absurd. I actually left the restaurant angry. The restaurant is obviously not prepared for large crowds (we were treated like no one knew what to do with us when we arrived). Needless to say, we will not be eating there again and we will not be recommending this to our friends who travel through the area.

6  Thank ulmersn
Reviewed October 15, 2009

We stayed in Boone to do some hiking/sightseeing and ate at the Dan'l Boone Inn Restaurant based on good web reviews and we weren't disappointed. The food was fresh and delicious and served family style. I would recommend eating at the restaurant when you are truly hungry so you can really take advantage of the wonderful plates/bowls of food they place in front of you. We topped off the meal with the included dessert and had one of each: chocolate cake, strawberry shortcake, and banana pudding. The banana pudding, especially, tasted homemade and fabulous. You won't be disappointed if you want to eat in a friendly atmosphere and taste good southern cooking.

1  Thank LostShadows
Reviewed October 6, 2009

We had lunch here Sunday... and boy was it good! No menu, they just bring it all out. Fried chicken, sailsbury steak, yellow corn, green beans, stewed apples, cole slaw, mashed potatoes, gravy , country ham biscuits, salad, and drink of your choice. Even includes desert! Big bowls with big spoons to ladle it onto your plate. If you run out, they bring more on request! Great value meal for one price. You can't beat it. Go hungry!
*Note* No credit cards accepted. Cash or personal check with proper I.D.. ATM in lobby.

1  Thank xwvcoalminer
Reviewed October 6, 2009

We were advised to go to the Dan'l Boone inn for dinner. The place is just beautiful! Inside and out. The landscaping is really something and the view, right on the street you get to see people strolling along. The food is great and the waiter we had was a student "of course!" and a pleasure to talk to. Some people say the food is overpriced and it is a little steep for what you get, but, the overhead has to be very high and you must take that into account. All of that "atmosphere" is not cheap.